AVAILABLE

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Skidder/Forwarder Question  (Read 2057 times)

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
Re: Skidder/Forwarder Question
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2018, 11:02:43 AM »
(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)(Image hidden from quote, click to view.) No no, i will try to explain. The company is Swiss and the new inverstors are from Germany, Welte is from Germany so maybe that was a point. But i think the real reason is they have some logger friends/contractors which some times work and help for the firm giving them advice. the have come over to look at the process how we work here. they have done directional felling courses for the chainsaw operators (which didn't stick by the way  (Image hidden from quote, click to view.)), skidding and handling improvements, good guys with lots of experience in Switzerland. As they know the complicated machines from Europe (Welte, HSM, Valtra, ...) very well and have it sorted out logging in Central Europe they want to adapt that system here, so they suggest the only machines they are familiar with.
The biggest problem i see is the operators, in Switzerland a operator earns 6k a month has excellent training and are experts in knowing their machine.
I am not saying that there are no good operators in CR but they are few and have to be found and trained well.  
I'm surely not the best operator there is but if my excavator has a complain i feel it right away in my butt or i hear it and will stop to investigate the problem and that is my biggest selling point, but kinda hard to explain to a CEO.
SO germans knowing best.  Well, that's pretty common phenom in german overseas operations. Its why they often don't do so hot with them ( the strength of german is not multinationals it is middle sized national companies).  German investors is the only reason this makes sense and I predict an excellent off farm income for you.
Re bark stripping off, most scales measure inside bark.  You are paid on outside bark diameter?  I'd still put a processor head to work.  Keep knives sharp and rollers updated/maintained.  In fact, seems to me a teak operation would almost be perfect for mechanization.  
Liking Walnut

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2018, 04:47:45 PM »
You are paid on outside bark diameter?

Yes we are. however it would be interesting to see how a processor would do in teak.  
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2018, 04:53:54 PM »
Costa rica is a lot of red clay right?  Does it rain enough to keep dust down during harvest timeframe or is it dry powder?

Where they have the Fincas there is no red clay!  It rains quite a bit in rainseason with lots of mud and it's bonedry in dryseason with lots of dust.

It's hot but not dessert hot, so the temp for the machines doesn't concerns me too much. My Volvo Excavator i brought down from the states and my old 540A deere do just fine with the heat.
But good point on the periodic pressure washing

Online Skeans1

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2018, 07:58:51 PM »
You are paid on outside bark diameter?

Yes we are. however it would be interesting to see how a processor would do in teak.  
Its about which drive rolls are on the head, the drive roll pressure, and knife pressure. Doing alder here I cant pierce the wood with the feed rolls for stain reasons, when we do it Ill loose up the rolls and knifes with no issues with log reject.

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2018, 08:57:46 PM »
i think 100$/day for the first 2 weeks and then 150$/day for the maintenance and i bring my own tools. What do you guys think? take in mind that we don't have first wold salaries. a worker owns 20$ a day, a operator 40-50$ 

they have accepted mi proposal and we will start when the Welte is released from customs (6weeks already ). 
they sent me the operation plan, now i see that i'm also responsible for the Forwarder and the training of the new operators. So the initial 2 weeks and one day maintenance every 2 weeks just doubled up because i overlook the Welte and the Cat now.   

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2018, 11:30:34 PM »
So you landed your retirement gig.. Good deal  ;)
Revelation 3:20

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Old forwarder/skidder

Started by Wisconsintimber on Forestry and Logging

28 Replies
Last post October 31, 2018, 10:55:53 AM
by Wisconsintimber
xx
Skidder or forwarder ??

Started by Madman_Mark on Forestry and Logging

8 Replies
Last post May 11, 2004, 02:09:47 PM
by Scott