AVAILABLE

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Making my own firewood processor.  (Read 1537 times)

Offline hedgerow

• Share Post
Re: Making my own firewood processor.
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2018, 10:30:43 PM »
How do you oil the chain on your hydraulic chainsaw?
I just use a low pressure 12V electric fuel pump that I bought from surplus center in Lincoln Ne. It's turned on and off by a hyd pressure switch that that is plumbed into the saw drive circuit. It does a good job of oiling. 

Offline paul case

• Senior Member x2
  • Original wearer of the PCM.
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2018, 09:02:28 AM »
I picked up some of the steel for the build yesterday. Main frame is going to be a 12'' I beam 8' long with 8'' wide flanges and 1/2'' thick. Plans for 1/2'' plate for cylinder mounts, pusher plate, and wedge. 8'' channel iron with the c up is the start of the log trough.

That I beam with the other pieces laying on top of it would make a boat anchor for my 1 ton dually. Kinda drove up hill all the way home.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Offline hedgerow

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2018, 10:16:35 AM »
Paul
You never did say the size and type of wood you will be running on the processor?

Offline paul case

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2018, 08:11:10 AM »
We have oak, red white and blackjack.

I have about 30  acres on my property and dad has another 15 acres of tunted trees that would make a lot of 12'' diameter and less. The trees are much too close together. Fairly straight and tall but too small to saw and lots of them. I am always getting a lot of logs that I cull to the firewood pile. Average diameter of them is going to be in the 16'' size. 

I am going to try to build this processor so that I am not limited on size so much. I think I may make the trough self adjusting from 12'' to 25'' by hinging the sides and having them hooked together with spring pressure. I wont be limited on the saw as my Stihl 660's are equipped with 36'' bars and chains.

The splitter head may be a limiting factor. I am planing for a 4 way  and It will be solid. I think I can put the wings on it so that it always splits the size I want on the bottom and I may have to flip the pieces on top back over and split them again. I am thinking this will put my wings about 6'' up the main wedge.

A lot of thinking going into this. I am shooting for simple. I  dont want to have a rube goldberg type of processor.

PC
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

Offline hedgerow

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2018, 02:46:20 PM »
Not much Oak in my area and the little there our are old growth large trunk trees. Making the centering part of the splitting unit adjustable  would be a good idea. I would make your wedge hyd adjustable. I think you will find that four inch cylinder is going to be a little too small on a four way and Oak may be those smaller dia oak trees split easier than the few old growth I have processed over the years. I can't wait for your build to start and the pictures to follow. I got my firewood crew coming this afternoon and all day Saturday. I hope by Sunday the crops will be dry and we can get back to corn harvest.   

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2018, 03:03:28 PM »
The trick is gonna be making the first split before the other wings engage.  I have no issue with oak on a welded up 5 way with 13hp honda and maybe 4" cylinder, unknown PSI.   Oak is fairly straight grained and easy to fracture.  The hickory crotches and especially that spiral grain of black gum are major problem.  Ive not experienced anything as bad as black gum.

That said i wouldnt make it a fixed 4 way or an adjustable trough.  A deep vee trough will always center if the cheeks are wide enough.  A vertically adjustable wedge head isnt that hard or complex.  It can be pin on, winch, lever, cable or hydraulic adjusted.  jmo.
Revelation 3:20

Offline reride82

• Share Post
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2018, 05:27:11 PM »
The processor I built has a trough for the log to slide in, pulled by a winch, up to the saw. The saw is either a 372xp or a 395xp on a hinge. Once the round is cut, it rolls about 16" down onto the splitter I beam. Then it is centered in a trough made of old push brooms(so that way branch stubs and irregular pieces don't get hung up) and then pushed through a fixed four way wedge set at 6" as my target size is 12" diameter logs. Then the split wood is pushed directly into my pickup or dump trailer as my processor sits higher than the beds of both of them. I can get pictures/videos if you need.

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Offline paul case

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2018, 09:32:23 PM »
I would like that. 

I have plans for the same kind of non powered chute to load my wood or pile it.

PC
pc

Offline hedgerow

• Share Post
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2018, 09:16:59 AM »
The processor I built has a trough for the log to slide in, pulled by a winch, up to the saw. The saw is either a 372xp or a 395xp on a hinge. Once the round is cut, it rolls about 16" down onto the splitter I beam. Then it is centered in a trough made of old push brooms(so that way branch stubs and irregular pieces don't get hung up) and then pushed through a fixed four way wedge set at 6" as my target size is 12" diameter logs. Then the split wood is pushed directly into my pickup or dump trailer as my processor sits higher than the beds of both of them. I can get pictures/videos if you need.

Levi
Levi How do the old push brooms heads hold up? I try a couple different ones on my firewood processor for help centering the pieces but they didn't last. 

Offline dean herring

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2018, 09:33:15 AM »
There are some very good ideas on here.
Could we get some pictures of some? Would love to see some 
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Processor Build, Home Made Firewood Processor

Started by Higgo on Firewood and Wood Heating

110 Replies
Last post September 17, 2018, 08:52:41 PM
by hedgerow
xx
What is the best way to pay for a firewood processor ?

Started by logman81 on Forestry and Logging

24 Replies
Last post March 26, 2013, 11:31:29 PM
by kiko
xx
Used Firewood Processor

Started by gypo1947 on Wanted

6 Replies
Last post February 10, 2013, 06:20:07 PM
by gypo1947
xx
firewood processor