iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White Oak with Crotchwood

Started by Sam i am, October 13, 2018, 11:08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam i am

I sawed into a 36" white oak to make some 2 x3 sticks.  The first 2" slab I cut had some crotchwood.  We cut the rest and got seven 26" by 2 to 3 1 \2" slabs from it.  How do we take care of the slabs and is there a market for them?

SawyerTed

Look here for a good example of stacking slabs for air drying. Lawg Dawg did it right.

Whatcha Sawin' ??? in Sawmills and Milling

Reply #10942

Not knowing where you are located hampers those who might know about your market.  Markets for wood products are local and regional and sometimes are niches for certain sawyers but not others.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Sam i am

SawyerTed

I should have said welcome to the Forestry Forum!  So welcome!

It will be helpful in the future if you would complete your profile.  That way folks will have a little background that could help them answer questions you might have.

Did you check out the link?
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Brad_bb

Stack them off the ground
Stack them without a sound

Sticker them every 12 inches
Be careful you finger doesn't pinches

Cover them with tin
Leave them dry and grin

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

PA_Walnut

Don't put fans on them like Log Dawg's post referenced. That was not white oak. If you do, they will grenade (degrade) before your very eyes! Oak wants to dry LOW and SLOW!

Good luck!
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

thecfarm

Sam i am,welcome to the forum.
Whatcha got for a mill?
Been sawing long?   ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Lawg Dawg

Yes, PA is right! Fans on Poplar in that picture...I stack my oak slabs in the shade with no fans on them!  But the pallet system works great for turning out flat lumber!
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Thank You Sponsors!