iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Author Topic: Hit and Miss Engines - what to look for?  (Read 1264 times)

Offline scsmith42

• Senior Member x2
  • He who dies with the most toys... WINS!!!
    • Share Post
    • Whispering Pines Farm
Re: Hit and Miss Engines - what to look for?
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2018, 01:13:20 PM »
We made it out alive :D. We had a good time yesterday. We loaded up pumpkins in Rick's truck and hit the road early stopping by a special needs school along the way that had put out a call for punkins for the kids. We visited with them for a little bit then did the last few miles down to the fairgrounds in Fletcher and wandered in. The show was much smaller this year, a couple of other shows had overlapped on the weekend and it really took a toll but it gave us more time to visit with the folks that were there. It was close, we almost walked out with an old Stover 2 hp but cooler heads prevailed and we continued to look and learn. There was a large Mogul engine hooked to an antique Meadows gristmill making Grits and cornmeal, yup, the same Meadows of sawmill fame. Around Statesville on the way home we were contemplating stopping for chow when I remembered Michelle had thrown a sack in the back, 3 huge slices of banana bread and we were good to go getting back to our trucks downtown at about 9. Gotta love a small town, we had forgotten to unload gear from felling and hauling from one of the trucks from the day before, everything just as we left it. Rick has an older cub that needs parts and we saw a lot of parts there but didn't have a list. I saw a couple of corner chisels but they were in pretty rough shape. I've wanted to pick one up since Grandad's got away from me. We'll see how schedules work but we might make it down to Ederville.
Don, if you can make it down to Ederville let me know.  Jeff and I will be there on Sunday.

A friend of mine has a local show at his place on Saturday morning and early afternoon (Ederville weekend), if you want to make a two day event out of it let me know and Iíll get you an invite to Robertís show.
Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Offline Harold

• I Got nothin' to say :o)
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2018, 09:43:14 PM »
Most ice cream makers I see are run by 1 1/2 hp hit and miss engines.  Seems most prefer John Deere engines, however any brand will work.  As you will see the ice cream parts will be quite expensive.  Lots of repo parts for john Deere and Mccormick engines. 

Online Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2018, 10:02:10 PM »
The big freezers are sure expensive, I think I'll try to run a couple of small ones. I'm thinking of belting from the engine down and back, under the cart and use the underside of the cart rails to bolt pillow blocks to, run a shaft across the underside with a big flatbelt pulley outboard to belt to the engine and do the first stepdown. The clutch could be an idler pulley on that belt. Then have a small pulley centered underneath on that shaft. Then from that pulley run to the rear where there is a similar cross cart shaft with a pulley. Between those I should be able to drop 10:1 or so and be in the right range.

I'm trying to figure out how to come up vertically between freezers and make a quick easy, removable connection with the freezers. The big ones use a lovejoy type connection in 2 pieces. That might be the best way.

I'm not sure yet, might have to take a rain check this time, a friend's home burned.

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2018, 08:39:39 AM »
Pitman arm    Disregard that!  Lost my mind for a minute.

You could have bevel gears on both ends of the vertical shaft if you had a way to easily fasten/unfasten the freezer in position.  Maybe a split block of lignum vitae at the top with a swing bolt and wing nut.  That would be period correct.
HM126

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Hey, did I miss something

Started by Texas Ranger on General Board

23 Replies
Last post December 25, 2002, 02:43:23 PM
by jindie
xx
I miss you LT!

Started by Piston on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post September 04, 2012, 09:17:25 AM
by Piston