AVAILABLE

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Experiences: Holder A50 Tractor  (Read 458 times)

Offline monasheemonster

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Experiences: Holder A50 Tractor
« on: October 28, 2018, 10:27:12 AM »
Hello
I知 considering purchasing a Holder A50 tractor with Trelleborg forestry tires to mount a tractor winch on for selective logging. Anyone out there know Holders? They have  articulating steering, front and rear ptos and 3pt hitches. 50 hp but small in stature, 3m long, 2m high, 1.5m~ wide. 3500lb~
Also had diff lockers.

I could get it for a fair price. Parts supply is the limiting factor. Looking forward to hearing what you have to say.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
Re: Experiences: Holder A50 Tractor
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 10:51:24 AM »
I dont know them in person but from youtube, they are a potent machine.  My experience with mini tractor logging and sled pulling and ATV skidding is that it is not the size or horsepower, it is the weight, weight distribution and tire floatation, as well as cable angle and pulley height that determine whether you can keep the rear loaded and still have the front end stay down.  

If youre too light in back the tires spin. If the log is flat on the ground its 10x harder to skid.  So you raise the log butt up and that loads the machine for rear end traction... so heavy that it doesnt have enough power to spin the tire (wide as you can on the rear rubber or the log will sink you into the ground.)  Now that you cant spin a rear tire, youll lift the front end.  So you add weight up there and now the log skids or the machine breaks.  

The articulated holder 
/ landini etc design is perfect for a mini skidder.   I do not suggest chains unless you are on ice.  My experience with home made ring chains on a garden tractor was terrible, they churned the soil and it spun holes much easier with chains and tore the ground up.   What worked best for me was a very wide flat tire (just like sled pullers run) and as much weight as possible on it.. Fluid plus ballast iron all around.  The tires almost acted like a paving roller and repaired the churned up ground as i continued to drive in the same tracks, compacting a lane. 

My experience is you can pull about 6 to 8x more on a trailer in one pass than you can skid with the same machine on the same ground. Braking comes into play downhill with trailer though. 

Does that machine have a ground speed pto or 540/1000?
Revelation 3:20

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 03:08:14 PM »
Had a friend that had one
Pulled all his wood for a log home with it
thomas 8013 mill ,Mahindra 3540 cab tractor loader  Dump trailer  and lot of contracting tools

Offline monasheemonster

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 06:22:27 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I think this machines strong suits will be access to tight areas for hopefully low empact logging. I work in the forestry industry in B.C. and see a lot of ecological impact, at times very severe.

This A50 has very wide tires for its size. And I have already consider fluid weight in the tires but appreciate the comment of all the weight you can get on it. I wonder what kind of wheel weights could be found.

The pto is 540/1000, correct me If I知 wrong but they have selective speeds.

The design is the tractor put the engine in front of the front axle, i believe part of the design was trying to keep weight up front for relatively heavy implement use in the rear.

How do I post pictures?

Myholder.de is a good website forum if you can read German. They have quite the following in Europe. They are also quite sophisticated. Lots of moving parts, planetary axles, multiple gear boxes ect

Offline Riwaka

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 08:56:43 PM »
If you can drive a Holder to winch the trees, the site must not be very steep terrain.
Holder Tractors: Product range    (a50 appear to be part of their past)
Holder Tractors: Classic Holder      parts for the old ones

What do other selective logging systems are  used in your area? Helicopters?  (koller/ yoder/ cable on the less remote sites in places where they are less likely to lose money?)

Offline monasheemonster

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 10:28:10 AM »
hi Riwaka
Thanks for the links. I wrote Holder in Ontario and they said they do have some parts but it痴 limited they can of course get parts from Germany.

I work in industrial logging so majority is clear cutting. Some companies are leaving more non-crop tree trees standing in the land as canopy and habitat and climax crop trees for seed trees, but that is rare. They are also very susceptible to blow down.

As for selective logging, it痴 mostly private land owners. Heli logging is mostly commercial and rare in the interior .

Next question regarding the A50 is there any experience mounting a front end loader or skidder type blade? If you search google
There are numerous pictures of holders specifically built for skidding with HD blades up front. My main question is the carriage mounting style for a articulating tractor? Any input is appreciated.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
What do you think of your compact articulated tractor? Pasquali/Holder ect

Started by Dr Nitro on Forestry and Logging

6 Replies
Last post June 26, 2014, 12:45:15 PM
by 47sawdust
xx
Dog Bowl Holder

Started by lowpolyjoe on General Woodworking

21 Replies
Last post January 15, 2016, 10:49:03 AM
by lowpolyjoe