iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Installing a New CB Edge 750 HD this weekend!

Started by boilerman101, October 31, 2018, 10:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boilerman101

My Edge has now been running for 11 weeks and I'm totally impressed with how easy it is to run and more forgiving on coalbed depth. As long as I keep the coals below the firebox side and front air holes and push the rod through the coals once a day, that is about all I have to do. About every 3 weeks I remove 3-4 small square faced shovels of powder ash out of reaction chamber through the front and rear access. Nothing but a little light powdery ash on the rear exhangers. That hinged rear access door sure eliminates the rear exchanger cleaning issue knock that most gassers have had over the years. Still no creosote buildup on the side or front air channels inside as it seems to just burn off. As previously stated, the stainless seems to operate much drier. My intent is still to not pull off the primary elbow or channel covers until spring shut down unless performance says I need to. Continuing to get 1,000+ reaction chamber temps every burn cycle. Even with colder temps it does not seem to be burning any more wood than previous. At current usage I should have wood from my estimated 2018 allotment carrying over for next season. I could not live without the XP wifi after having it on my smart phone showing me current temps and history charts. It becomes addicting and almost like a game trying for new high reaction chamber temps and performance charts! Will keep you posted as we go through the 2nd half of the heating season.

boilerman101

Update - Here we are on March 11, still cold and still snowing. My Edge HD continues to perform without any hiccups. Reaction chamber temps on my XP chart continues to show 1,000-1,200 degree temps each burn cycle. I still have found no need to remove or check my primary elbow or behind any air channels inside the firebox. Just brush a little light dust out of the rear heat exchanger through the rear hinge door every 2-3 weeks when I shovel out some ash powder from the reaction chamber. Love this furnace and couldn't be easier. Looking forward to calling it the end of the heating season though. Been a long cold and snowy winter but thankful for a warm comfortable house. I will remove the primary elbow and firebox channel covers for the first time when I finally shut down and see if there is anything behind them. Will continue to keep you posted. Days are getting longer and sun it getting closer. It has to warm up soon right?

DDW_OR

looking forward to your end-of-season shutdown and cleanup to see what the good and the bad are.
"let the machines do the work"

hedgerow

We are finally above freezing over night here. My Garn started leaking water into the air intake some where in Dec or Jan. I just added another couple hundred gallon of water yesterday bringing the total up to around 1,000 gallon I have added since the leak was spotted. Trying to get it threw to May until corn and bean planting will be done and I should have some time to drain it and hopefully I can repair the leak. If not it may be time to quite burning wood. I am getting too old to make that kind of investment again. The unit is only nine years old.  

Rebarb

Curious to know approximately how much wood is being saved in a burn season going from a Classic to an Edge.

I burn 8-10 cords with a CB 5036 so can i expect around 5 cords with new Edge ?

And yes....i burn dry 2 year oak.

boilerman101

That would be consistant from what I experienced when changing from a traditional Classic to a gassification model. Went from 10-12 cord down to 5 1/2 - 6 1/2 cord.

Rebarb

Quote from: boilerman101 on March 14, 2019, 09:10:43 PM
That would be consistant from what I experienced when changing from a traditional Classic to a gassification model. Went from 10-12 cord down to 5 1/2 - 6 1/2 cord.

Rebarb

boilerman101

Had furnace shut down for 10 days or so, got cold and fired it back up. Still had not given the Edge it's end of season cleaning. Fired right up. Free hot water again!

boilerman101

I forgot to give my end of 1st season update. Bottom line very impressed with my Edge 750HD. Very easy to use, operate and clean. Easily achieved 1,000+ degree burn temps each cycle which seemed to keep creosote accumualtion to a minimum. Never had more than a fine powdery coating on the rear exchangers which are easily seen and accessed by opening the rear hinged door. Taking out the side air channels for end of season cleanup (only time I removed all heating season) was very easy, again some powder accumulation and back right corner had a little creosote buildup that easily scraped out. Probably because I neglected the back corners a little, but not enough to effect perfomance. The new stepper motors worked great and I had almost no creosote built up in the bottom of those elbows. So right now she is scraped out, cleaned out, vacuumed out, put back together and has a bucket over the chimney and ready to go next season. I would have to give it a 10 out of 10 on a rating scale. Did everything I expected and great improvement on maintenance requirements over the Eclassic.

boilerman101

Getting cold, extended forecast looks worse and like the cold weather is going to stay. I plan to fire up this weekend. Looking forward to turning off the electric breaker for my hot water heater. Free hot water and as nice warm house ahead! Wood pile is ready to and I'm looking forward playing with my Edge and XP charts again.

Thank You Sponsors!