iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Author Topic: Best blade for sawing cypress  (Read 366 times)

Offline Cypress Man

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Best blade for sawing cypress
« on: November 01, 2018, 07:21:55 PM »
I run a LT70 DCS sawmill with a 25hp electric motor and only cut cypress.  I've been using the 1.5x.055x10degree 1 1/8 tooth spacing blades for years now.  I recently tried a 1.5x055x7degree 7/8 tooth spacing turbo blade. It performed well. Stayed flat even through big knots but has to be pushed very hard to produce any speed. Is this spec. blade made in a 9 degree that may cut faster without pushing it so hard and stay flat? What blades do you other guys use to saw cypress with?
LT70 wide head electric, IC5 Power conveyor, transfer table, Stop and Load Log Deck, Catapiller 360B Telehandler, Cat tl642c Teleloader, Cat TH514 Telehandler, Woodmizer EG400 edger, Logosol PH360 moulder, Extrema 26" Planner, Grizzly 16" dual conveyor resaw, Prentice 285 log loader

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
Re: Best blade for sawing cypress
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 08:28:39 PM »
I have no 9 blade experience but I seem to remember that they may have a sorta shallow gullet.

My Cypress sawing had always been with the 10 blade but now virtually all of my sawing is with 7 Turbos.  Matter of fact, I do not even own a 10 blade now.  It has taken a bit of learning and speed adjusting on my part.

I have about a dozen 4 blades that I saved for White/Post Oak but the last Post Oak that I sawed was with a 7 Turbo.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline tmbrcruiser

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 07:29:03 AM »
I have been using 7 degree turbo's also, like them for almost everything I cut.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 08:24:42 AM »
(I know, not Cypress) but I sawed two Post Oak logs this past week with a 7 Turbo after sawing a large Red Oak.  It held true through some fairly large knots.  smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Online Percy

• Senior Member x2
  • Resident trouble maker
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 09:38:02 AM »
I run a LT70 DCS sawmill with a 25hp electric motor and only cut cypress.  I've been using the 1.5x.055x10degree 1 1/8 tooth spacing blades for years now.  I recently tried a 1.5x055x7degree 7/8 tooth spacing turbo blade. It performed well. Stayed flat even through big knots but has to be pushed very hard to produce any speed. Is this spec. blade made in a 9 degree that may cut faster without pushing it so hard and stay flat? What blades do you other guys use to saw cypress with?
I cut mainly softwoods up here in northern Canada so Im not sure what Cypress is. I have experimented with the tall tooth blades that Woodmizer sells(the turbo 7 and the 13 degree) For me, the 13 degree is the only blade I use. With your power, the 055 would be my choice. Get WM to send you one to try.....you may like it...
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Sawing cypress

Started by slider on Sawmills and Milling

17 Replies
Last post January 19, 2014, 06:51:21 AM
by nomad
xx
Cypress Sawing

Started by Randy on Sawmills and Milling

3 Replies
Last post October 23, 2005, 07:08:16 AM
by ellmoe