iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Author Topic: Making the move from band, to circle. And an update.  (Read 932 times)

Offline strunk57

• Full Member x2
  • Learning......come a long way in 1 year.
    • Share Post
Making the move from band, to circle. And an update.
« on: November 04, 2018, 07:42:43 PM »
Hello All, I've not been on in a long time. Been pretty busy. I've taking a job buying logs for a walnut mill. I like it a lot, get to travel some and meet a lot of people in the business. I have a yard setup two miles from my house. My boss let me move my timberking on the yard and saw on my downtime. I have a logging crew that works everyday that weather permits, and buy all the tie logs cheap. This has me wanting to move toward a circle mill. All I really want to saw is ties. I have markets for all my side lumber, what I really want advice for is what equipment/setup ideas would make for easier handling and faster production. I've not made the switch yet, but have made my mind up I'm going to. I wAnt to be as efficient as possible. Btw life has been great, and I'm very thankful for the forum. I credit a lot of my success to this forum and all the great members willing to share their wisdom.
99 timberking b-20. John deere 450c loader. 79 Chevy c-60 95 GMC 2500, Craftsman tablesaw, Dewalt 735 13" planer, stihl ms-290 Stihl 029, Husqvarna 394xp, dewalt router & table, various sanders/hand tools.

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
Re: Making the move from band, to circle. And an update.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 08:15:21 PM »
Good to hear from you.  4x4American is in Upstate NY and he's buying a Hurdle mill to cut ties. I've watched them on YouTube. They really hum.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"Logrite!

Offline PAmizerman

• Just Another Day In Paradise!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 08:27:16 PM »
I know this is a bandmill but it has a pretty sweet set up for ties. I'm sure it's pricey but may give you some ideas.

Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Traverse 6035 telehandler
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Offline JB Griffin

• Share Post
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 08:37:46 PM »
That 2man setup from baker is downright awesome, and they are just kinda poking along and getting around 6mbf a day.
Sort your logs for 12"-13" and 8mbf isn't out of reach at all, might even be common.

Manpower is the biggest problem you'll face.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota, 160 Prentice, Frick 2 saw gang edger, Wright W-37 ABG, Suffolk dual tooth setter, Cat claw single tooth setter,'96 F-250 7.3 PSD 4x4, CS-590 Echo, MF 20c, M681 Memo.

Over 2.5 million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator and counting.

Offline nopoint

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 10:22:35 PM »
Bit off topic but watched the baker video and now wondering what is the purpose of the hanging pieces of roller chain?

Online YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Always taking steps to save steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 10:37:58 PM »
They are stiff finger guides to keep the boards being pushed by the dragback from going sideways.  Iíve seen the Baker setup in action, it really is an impressive two man system where the guys get paid by production rate.  Runs all day, every day, day after day.   
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline Ron Wenrich

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 05:40:48 AM »
I ran a Jackson Lumber Harvester portable mill for a number of years.  We had it permanent and on a concrete pad.  Set up time is considerably less.  It was an automatic mill that came with a 2 strand log deck, an offbearer, and log turner.  We run it with a 671 Detroit, which also ran hydraulics to run the edger.  We run it with 5 guys, but we had a debarker and chipper.  We also didn't have a used dead rolls at the time.  Annual production was in the 2MMbf range.  8' logs was about 200-225 logs/day.  Meadows also makes a portable automatic mill that you can use stationary.  Portables are a good entrance mill, as set up time is so much less, and you can get to production so much sooner.  Buy a used one and get the most production for the buck.

If you're only going to be sawing tie logs, a vertical edger can be added that will eliminate an edger man.  But, it does slow down the sawing.  The lack of an edger will mean that it will be difficult to upgrade lumber.

I would also add a green chain.  This can be used a couple of different ways.  It will be a surge deck if you're only running with a couple of guys.  You won't have to shut down to move bundles or to load logs.  

Having markets for side wood is good, but you also need markets for your waste.  Slabs and dust pile up pretty quickly.  We sold our dust to farmers.  If you go with a debarker and chipper, you'll have 2 more markets to find.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Offline moodnacreek

• Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 08:00:16 AM »
Above is excellent advise. Try to visit other sawmills to study there set ups. 

Offline strunk57

• Full Member x2
  • Learning......come a long way in 1 year.
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 07:55:15 PM »
Thanks. I'm not interested in going with a band mill. I'm dead set on a circle saw. I was hoping you would show up Ron. Seems you have the right answers when it comes to circle saws. Anybody know of a decent mill somewhere a couple hundred miles from central Ky? 
99 timberking b-20. John deere 450c loader. 79 Chevy c-60 95 GMC 2500, Craftsman tablesaw, Dewalt 735 13" planer, stihl ms-290 Stihl 029, Husqvarna 394xp, dewalt router & table, various sanders/hand tools.

Offline moodnacreek

• Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 09:12:56 PM »
Older,stationary, circle mills are very hard to sell. For a person who can move one and re set it, they can be a bargain. If I was to do one again I would put it on continuous steel beams. Read all the adds, they are out there.

Offline killamplanes

• one man band
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 10:12:21 PM »
Are you looking to electric or diesel power? I've noticed fair amount of auctions that have the equipment. I can't stand to go to an auction everything I want goes double my price. I have a 75kw genset. Not as efficient as feeding of a power grid but works.
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Making/Applying Shiplap...Update

Started by tcsmpsi on General Board

37 Replies
Last post November 01, 2012, 09:29:10 AM
by routestep
xx
The One Man Band - Update

Started by tcsmpsi on Sawmills and Milling

30 Replies
Last post November 15, 2012, 05:05:00 PM
by mad murdock