The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Am I getting ripped off?  (Read 2474 times)

Offline stavebuyer

• Share Post
Re: Am I getting ripped off?
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2018, 05:26:37 AM »
As a buyer being asked to bid on a set of logs; I would not provide anything other than $$ total period. How I priced various grades or scaled individual logs could be advantageous for a competitor to know. I decline the opportunity to bid on logs or timber unless its a sealed bid . 

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2018, 09:59:51 AM »
   Our local mill publishes a price list showing what they pay for logs by species and grade. Of course there is always some subjectivity as to what grade a log will make but at least if I ask them to explain why they graded a log a particular way I can accept or reject their opinion. Most important the seller can learn what he needs to do better the next time. He might find he'd get more for 2 shorter (1- grade 1 and 1 grade 3) logs than one long grade 3. Just like sawing for grade. Maybe I just needed to leave 2 more inches of trim to qualify for the next length. 

Your system is fair and no doubt saves you getting into an argument with a seller but, as I said before, if the seller does not feel comfortable in dealing that way, he should sell to someone else. To each his own.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline stavebuyer

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2018, 06:57:59 AM »
I publish a price list and provide a detailed scale ticket that shows species, length, diameter, grade, volume, price per MBF, gross scale, defect scale and reason for any scale deductions for all logs purchased. You ask for a bid on a pile of logs I may or may not buy; you get a dollar figure and that's it unless I buy the logs or trees. As I buyer I can't tell you how many times a prospective seller has told me what they have already been offered. I participate in sealed bids, attend auctions, but have no interest in auctions disguised as bids. This is no reflection on the original poster or his motives but an explanation as to why a bidder often doesn't want to provide any details in a bid situation. 

Offline PA_Walnut

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2018, 07:41:49 AM »
I participate in sealed bids, attend auctions, but have no interest in auctions disguised as bids.

Amen brother! Preach it. Its very annoying when I am asked to buy logs, come up with a legit number (I always try to be VERY fair...to both the seller AND myself) and then have them say, "I'll get back to you..." using my number as leverage to attempt to yank $20 outta the next guy.  >:(

More than once, have endured that dance, only to have them come back weeks/months later with a re-attempt hearing about stories of BIG money payouts, BIG talk then zero performance from other bidders. I put up my best number and that's that. Every once in a while, someone comes back with a reasonable counter that accept.

As Kenny Rogers says, "You got know when to hold'em, know when to fold'em. Know when to walk away and know when to run..."

p.s. Don't alienate your seemingly legit buyer. If the number isn't right to you, counter rather than shutting him out for a few bucks. You may find that there's less legit buyers in your area than you might have guessed. A bit of communication goes a long way.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Baker Portable Edger with Kubota Diesel
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2018, 09:09:50 AM »
I done a lot of buying and selling on a semi professional level for myself and for others, and its really a relationship game.  

Buying and selling with the general public can be incredibly annoying on occassion, and tolerating their opinions and tactics without chewing them a new one and killing the sale is by far the most tedious part.  When you are selling theyll say these are a dime a dozen.  Really? Cuz i only see 2 for sale in the country and im priced cheaper than both.  Show me the dozen for scrap price and we will send the landoll to get them all.

When you are buying their junk is worth gold, its the best stuff ever sitting on those brand new 30yr old tires with only a few of the now obsolete parts missing and what is there fully unserviceable.  Buddy you been trying to sell it a year and the market clearly doesnt agree with your price.

I never ever tell people what its worth and i hate when someone says it to me.  Ill say what ive got in the past, what i think i can get, what its worth to me or what im holding out for.  As a buyer i very kindly, gently say this is what id be happy to pay for it or call me in a year if you decide youd take X.  Ya have to say an offensive number in a very unoffensive way.  3 days later phone rings.  You get 90% more accepted lowballs when the seller finds you likeable. Be a polite, friendly haggler.
Revelation 3:20

Offline Kwill

• Cedar cutter
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2019, 01:27:05 PM »
Ya have to say an offensive number in a very unoffensive way.  3 days later phone rings.  You get 90% more accepted lowballs when the seller finds you likeable. Be a polite, friendly haggler.
I failed at this one. Guy tried to lowball or rather insult me on some firewood i already had priced at a bargain. I told him I would  pile it in the front yard and burn it before I took his offer. 8)
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2019, 08:30:31 PM »
   My most valuable load of firewood I ever sold was priced on the phone including delivery. I drove up with the wood and with my 10 y/o son along. The guy came out and told me because it was good seasoned oak he'd pay $10-$15 less than we'd agreed. I told my son to get back in the truck, raised the tail gate and before I got the truck cranked he told me he'd pay what we'd agreed and I told him he could not buy that load of wood. I guess he figured since I'd already loaded and delivered it I did not want to take it home. he was right. I stopped on the way home and gave it away to a friend.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline PA_Walnut

• Share Post
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2019, 05:19:03 AM »
I told him he could not buy that load of wood. I guess he figured since I'd already loaded and delivered it I did not want to take it home. he was right. I stopped on the way home and gave it away to a friend.

@WV Sawmiller That is a level of rogue beyond even my own! Nice!!I like it.  :D:D
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Baker Portable Edger with Kubota Diesel
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2019, 11:25:22 AM »
Ya have to say an offensive number in a very unoffensive way.  3 days later phone rings.  You get 90% more accepted lowballs when the seller finds you likeable. Be a polite, friendly haggler.
I failed at this one. Guy tried to lowball or rather insult me on some firewood i already had priced at a bargain. I told him I would  pile it in the front yard and burn it before I took his offer. 8)
On a $60 rick of wood that will sell on the next cold day, chewing someone out may be worth it.  Its cheaper than the therapy costs of rude lowballers driving you crazy.  
When i sold ancient equipment for an employer it was really important not to burn bridges.  How many people want parts off a euclid articulated truck thats been parked since i was 9?  had to bite my tongue alot if i wanted to taste any food on it next week.

Offline Kwill

• Cedar cutter
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2019, 01:18:11 PM »
Mike i was recently trying to sell my boat on Cl and facebook for 500. This was boat, motor,trailer,trolling motor,fishfinder, and clean titles on all. Guy had the gaul to ask if id take 100 for it. I wasnt so nice with my reply 8)
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2019, 09:11:07 AM »
Imagine if it was 3am, the call was from egypt and he offered you $100 for your excavator.  I lived it every day.  You gotta find your uncouple button to survive it or youll kill someone. 

Offline Weekend_Sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • Jack of all trades, master of fun
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2019, 09:19:07 AM »
I have started muting my phone when I go to bed.
I do not like to be awakened by someones text or phishing call.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe. ... and it looks like my dream will come true!

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2019, 08:29:51 PM »

Nick585,

What did you end up getting for you Black Walnut logs?
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
1999 New Holland TC29

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
How bad did I get ripped

Started by chainsaw_louie on Chainsaws

43 Replies
Last post December 23, 2006, 08:42:17 PM
by Furby
xx
Getting ripped off??? ...He went and did it...

Started by flip on Forestry and Logging

34 Replies
Last post June 28, 2006, 06:37:52 PM
by David_c
xx
Ripped off !

Started by Tim L on General Board

8 Replies
Last post December 29, 2006, 06:36:35 PM
by limbrat
xx
ripped off