The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: How many of us have been seriously hurt over the years.  (Read 3343 times)

Offline yetti462

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: How many of us have been seriously hurt over the years.
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2018, 01:39:38 PM »
In 2002 I was touched by a guardian angel and experienced the power of prayer.  I was asked by my brother for help with a leaning tree.  My mind was where I was going to go hunting that night and I was rushing to help him, then head to the deer stand.  This leaning tree was a Tulip poplar that had about a 45 degree lean to it.  I showed him how to cut a leaning tree, notch, bore and clip.  The lean on the tree didn't give it enough momentum to hit the ground, instead it suspended and was partially held up by a forked ash. 

I cut the butt of the log off and remember looking up at the bent over forks of the ash tree, they were under the poplar top but still attached to the ash about 12' high.  I was wearing a ball cap of course and told my brother that the situation was hairy and we needed to get away from the situation.  He turned back around from listening to me and heard something and looked back to see me on the ground. 

The poplar top fell on its own and pulled the ash forks out.  The pressure shot one fork back about 8' where i was standing and down the side of my head.  I remember coming to in his truck with my s.i.l. telling me I was bad hurt and we were headed to ER.  She is an er nurse btw.  Next thing I remember is waking up in Methodist hospital in Indianapolis with iv's in my arm and breathing tubes in my throat. 

I got life lined via Lifeevac helicopter.  I underwent emergency brain surgery that removed a blood clot that had formed under fractured skull.  My eye socket was fractured from the corner to my ear and from bottom down to upper jaw.  I was told by doctors to expect slurred speech, blurred vision and short term memory loss.  I walked out of there in 3 days and have had a blessed and 100% recovery.  My head is a little lumpy and I'm missing a tooth, other than that I'm ok.

Offline Gearbox

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: How many of us have been seriously hurt over the years.
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2018, 09:54:23 PM »
I was falling a large Red Oak and saw a dead limb about 30 ft. up . knocked it down and went perfect . Walked over to get the skidder and when I walked under a Maple that 5 inch oak limb fell out of that Maple . Hit right on top of my head . Out for 20 min. off to the hospital ER got real excited after the Cat scan .Brain bleed about 25 MM . Then in overnight home the next day with a baby sitter for the next 10 days . That was 9 years ago and it still didn't knock any sense in me , I'm still logging.
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

moved
MOVED: How many of us have been seriously hurt over the years.

Started by Jeff on Forestry and Logging

0 Replies
Last post November 22, 2018, 12:37:17 PM
by Jeff
xx
Too much fun never hurt anybody.

Started by Slasherguy on Forestry and Logging

7 Replies
Last post January 14, 2016, 05:11:18 AM
by timberlinetree
xx
This had to hurt