iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Author Topic: Tractor size  (Read 2824 times)

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
Re: Tractor size
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2018, 03:21:41 PM »
Welcome to the Forestry Forum, offrink!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline alanh

• Share Post
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2018, 05:24:58 PM »
Agree with those above that "construction" equipment is a lot more capable than similiar sized "farm" stuff, a yellow JD 110 is quite a wheeled machine, also the versatility and maneuverability of a skid steer shouldn`t be overlooked

Offline esteadle

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Steadwood Forest Products
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2018, 06:36:03 PM »
I read a couple responses above that mentioned the propensity of a tractor with too much weight to "tip" over. Having had this experience myself a couple times, it's a very real concern. 

One very plausible way to die while sawmilling is to roll over a tractor while carrying too big a log. If you have lots of tractor experience, it's less of a concern, but everyone gets impatient, and sometimes goes a bit too far. 

A lot of the pictures I see posted of tractors with a lot of weight on them in this thread have no Rollover Protection System (ROPS). ROPS will help prevent the tractor from crushing you under it if it does happen to roll over. It depends on you wearing your seatbelt and staying in the seat while that's happening. 

The other option you should look at if you are pulling trees from your woodlot is "Falling Object Protection System) or FOPS. As you bump trees in the woods, they drop things (branches, bird nests, squirrels, and etc.) and some of those things can land on your head. So if you will be moving around inside the woods and under the canopy, consider FOPS equipped tractors too. Safety first. 

Timber Harvester 30HT26 (setworks, hydraulic) Stihl 880 (36" bar).

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2018, 06:38:44 PM »
offrink,welcome to the forum. I also see you have a LT15 wide. You sure do like the wide stuff.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2018, 09:04:44 PM »
A lot of the pictures I see posted of tractors with a lot of weight on them in this thread have no Rollover Protection System (ROPS). ROPS will help prevent the tractor from crushing you under it if it does happen to roll over. It depends on you wearing your seatbelt and staying in the seat while that's happening.  The other option you should look at if you are pulling trees from your woodlot is "Falling Object Protection System) or FOPS. As you bump trees in the woods, they drop things (branches, bird nests, squirrels, and etc.) and some of those things can land on your head. So if you will be moving around inside the woods and under the canopy, consider FOPS equipped tractors too. Safety first. 

Better advice can not be said.  It only takes a moment to get over the center of gravity and roll a tractor, once she start to go your reaction time is too slow.  As far as FOPS go - ABSOLUTELY - I have bumped dead pines with my 48,000 lb feller buncher - it is armored like a tank - and when a 16' chunk of dead pine comes from 20' up it has rocked my buncher like a Tonka Toy - even bounced the loaded tires off the ground - if that were an open station machine the operator would be dead, no question about it.  

Just over two years ago a local guy was removing a couple trees from basically his back 40 using his open station Kubota tractor, well something happened and one fell on top of the tractor and pinned him to the steering wheel.  It really was not a big tree, but it was big enough that he didn't survive.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline waynorthmountie

• new guy that likes to tinker.
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2018, 09:17:48 PM »
Who was the lucky person that got to split that little piece of oak?
Oh that would've been me and my trusty "056 Super". Never again. Huge waste of time and fuel.

Brent
What was the diameter on that sucker. Someday I want a big Bandsaw mill for just that stuff. love how it looks slabbed out. Only issue Is I will likely have to ship most of the huge diameter wood to my area so It won't happen. But a man can dream.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2018, 06:35:52 AM »
I don't recall anyone telling me their tractor was too big or too powerful. With the advent of articulated loaders the old rear steer loaders can be had for chump change if you search. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Offline DbltreeBelgians

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2018, 10:14:55 AM »
What was the diameter on that sucker. Someday I want a big Bandsaw mill for just that stuff. love how it looks slabbed out. Only issue Is I will likely have to ship most of the huge diameter wood to my area so It won't happen. But a man can dream.
I don't recall but it was way too big for the tractor. As a reference the tire size is 
16.9-28. So rim alone is 28"
Brent

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Always taking steps to save steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2018, 11:53:46 PM »
Iíve owned a 2WD and they suffer from the rear drive wheels coming off the ground the heavier the load gets.  Iíve gotten stuck on flat ground with a 2WD and a load of lumber logs. Also, if you reverse and turn hard with a load, it will eventually snap the front axles.  Iíve do that twice.  

A 4WD will dig the front tires in and greatly increase traction with the heavier the load.  Iíve owned from 40 and up 4WD and the all worked well.

This is my current tractor with the upgraded heavier lift configuration hydraulics.  4 logs and no problem.
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline Greyhound

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2018, 12:18:25 AM »
You are getting some great advice so far.  If I dare to summarize it so far I would say... 1. Buy used if possible, it is a much better value.  2.  Since tractors, etc, keep their price so well over time, don't be afraid to buy new if need be.  3.  Weight of the tractor is more important than horsepower.  This one is confusing, since oftentimes higher h.p. tractors have heavier chassis.  So, what does this mean?  You may be able to get away with a "compact" tractor in the 20-40 h.p. range if you add appropriate ballast weight to the 3-pt hitch. FWIW, I have Kubota L3710  (38 hp "compact") with an LA681 (1500#) FEL and I can handle pretty good sized logs.  However, if you can afford it you should try to get into a "utility" tractor in the 30-60 hp range (e.g. Kubota M or MX series).  These will have much heavier frames, suspensions and hydraulics.  Sorry, I don't know the comparable models in other tractors.  I'm absolutely no expert.

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
  • Life is what you make it!
    • Share Post
    • Dave and Joan's sugarhouse web site
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2018, 06:05:16 AM »
wbrent, you don't show where you are from. That would help. For example, in New York State and maybe others there is a ROPS program where a grant is issued to pay for much of the cost of retro-fitting an older tractor with a ROPS. In the program it must be done by a professional, you can not install one yourself.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed,  Peterson ATS upgraded to WPF mill, maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Offline wbrent

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2018, 07:58:34 AM »
Thanks so much folks for all your replies and suggestions. I ended up pulling the trigger on an 1984  International 484. RAted for 50hp I think. Its a bit of a fixer upper - not much though. Along with an old winch that I will take the time to overhaul. 
I have no intention of carrying large heavy loads with this. MAinly to just drag a log from the woods to my mill. I think this is going to be perfect for my purposes. Came with a set of good chains too. When I get something loaded for the first time I'll see if I can manage some pictures. Thanks folks.  

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
What size tractor

Started by haven1279 on General Board

8 Replies
Last post March 29, 2008, 10:47:39 PM
by WH_Conley
xx
What size tractor do I need

Started by AndyB on Sawmills and Milling

39 Replies
Last post July 09, 2003, 04:00:47 PM
by Ron Scott