iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moose hunting

Started by stumpy, December 04, 2018, 07:23:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpy

OK, here's the deal.  I'm 66 and have hunted deer all my life.  Whitetails in Wisconsin and Mule deer in South Dakota and Wyoming.  I am exclusively a spot and stalk hunter and enjoy a lot of walking. The thing is, I have a burning desire to hunt something else. before I am too old to do it.  I also don't want to spend $10,000 for a guide to hold my hand.  Because this may be a one time deal, it will be a gun hunt to increase my odds.
OK, this is where you all come in.  I need some suggestions for a hunt like I described.  It can be (preferably) Moose, Elk, Black bear. I know it's going to sound like I'm looking for the "perfect" hunt but really I'd just like input to help me narrow down my choices. I'd prefer fall versus heavy winter.  I'd prefer a little more rustic so as not to compete with a lot of hunters.  I'm not looking for a trophy, the experience is the main thing.  Lastly, cause this may be a one time hunt, I'd like a fairly high success rate situation. So, I'm hoping to tap into you all to give me some ideas.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

newoodguy78

You might want to look into the New Hampshire moose hunt. It's a lottery and doesn't cost much to apply. While they have lowered the number of permits recently the success rate is still pretty good. Some zones are definitely better than others if you decide to go this route and need help picking zones let me know. My father has been drawn several times and been a subpermittee multiple times as well. He's yet to come home empty handed.

Chuck White

Check with outfitters above you, in Canada, about a moose hunt!

Not all that far to travel and most of the Provinces have moose!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Considering your parameters, I would remove Elk from the list.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Maybe it would be different in other areas but Moose hunting in Maine would not be a spot and stalk type of hunt.  They have gone down over the years due to changes in the lottery but quite a good success rate for those that draw a tag.  If you could do some preseason scouting then setting up and calling over a chopping or a bog would have potential, but you better have a pack animal to get it out in that case, or you could get your walking in at that point, one steak at a time.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

moosehunter

Consider a "semi guided" hunt. Your guide will have done the scouting to find a good area and will be able to help you get a harvested animal out of the woods. I have been moose hunting in Maine 4 times,  each time has gotten exponentially harder than the last. Many areas require a guide. Lottery areas may not be a good option for everyone,  it took my wife 19 years to be drawn in Maine. We are considering New Brunswick or Newfoundland for our next moose hunt. 
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

petefrom bearswamp

I went to Newf in 72, 93, 97, 98, 99 got moose each time and a couple of Caribou.
Great place to visit and hunt but I believe you are required to have a guide or at least go with an outfitter.
Lots of walking involved and mostly glassing from vantage points then stalking sometimes from a mile or more away.
I'm sure it is now big $ to go.
I put in NH lottery a couple of times but the odds of getting struck by lightning are better, (Or worse depending how you look at it.)
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

BradMarks

I love hunting elk - on the east side of the Cascades!. Too brushy west side for me. Only problem is getting the tag drawn. Most popular units it's every two or three years until I draw again. Some units with few tags, I know people who have gone 10-15 yrs until they're drawn.  BUT, if you are out of state, you have a better statistical chance of drawing - a certain percentage (maybe 5%) are set aside for non-residents. I am also a move around, stay put, move again type of hunter. Many an elk I have shot at close range while on foot. And sometimes so close no time to get a shot. Like three yrs ago!  Success rates of course vary with the hunter, but overall the state has a 14% (1 in 7) success rate.

WV Sawmiller

Never been on a moose or elk hunt but I have vacationed all over the world and I can attest the best money I spent in almost every case was hiring a good guide. I have visited so many wonderfully interesting places where if I had not had the guide along advising me I would never have recognized how interesting and important it was. They got me access to places I could not and taught me things about local people, places and things I would never have known. Many times it would have been time and money wasted without that local expert advice. In many cases the guide did not have the answer but could take me to the person who did. 

Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

mart

WV is giving you good advice. New Hampshire and Maine have drawing hunts as do some of the western states but without a guide your chances decrease significantly.

I live in Alaska and have for 16 years. I've taken a few moose, my family got two this year, but we earned everyone of them. You can come to Alaska and hunt moose/caribou/black bear without a guide and without having to draw a tag, but you'll find it a tough and expensive lesson unless you hire a guide or have a close friend or family member here. Same goes for the other states that offer moose hunts. You really need someone in that area or hire a guide.

There are a few hardy souls who do all the research, make the plans, maybe contract with a pilot or outfitter to get them into moose country, or hike into good areas and have success. Hiking several miles into the back country, regardless of the state means hiking back out. With a moose that means multiple trips with very heavy loads. The rule of thumb for packing out moose on one's back is, "one man, one moose, one mile, one day."

A good guide will be money well spent.
I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

maple flats

I've never been there, but my research says Newfoundland is one of the best for moose. Maybe think semi-guided.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

thecfarm

I would suspect other states are the same as Maine. It could and has been 60° during a moose hunt.  Need to get that meat on ice quick. That needs to be plannned out too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

newfoundland is averaging about 4500 bucks plus travel. non residents need to go through an outfitter to get a license.

lots of moose, all sizes but the big trophies are mostly in the deep country. Argo's are used for extraction after the killand in the rare occasions a helicopter may be used. lots of walking and glassing. fun trip overall but with travel, can be pricey

starmac

I see moose almost daily running the log truck, but the last day of august a space ship picks most all of them up, leaving just a few stragglers.
Exactly 2 weeks and one day later, they drop off seemingly more than they took to start with.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

AZ_builder

OTC elk in Colorado, not the biggest bulls but you'll be hunting. Land owner tag in New Mexico, usually have to pre buy a year or two in advance as they sell quick. Or wait 25+ years to draw a tag in az lol 

starmac

I have not applied for an elk tag in New Mexico for several years and it has likely changed. You used to get 4 choices  (first to last) on your application. Now if you were after meat and not set on a trophy, you could put any hunt for your last choice for the area you were applying for. You were pretty much always going to draw a late season cow tag every year. landowner hunts, were much too expensive for my tastes, unless you happened to know the land owner. I have a hard time paying more than what I figure the meat is worth though, I always thought the expense of getting their and hunting was enough. 

AZ_builder

Starmac, I hear ya! It's hard to justify paying more for elk meat (or any meat for that matter) than you could pay for a side of butchered and wrapped beef. It's the hunt though. In az our coues whitetail are 100-120lbs on the big side. 30-60lbs of meat. Bit I'll gladly pay the extra for the hunt. To each their own though, I ain't mad at ya lol

starmac

Ah, you got it all wrong AZ, Where I lived in eastern New Mexico, I could usually get a nice fat grain and alfalfa mule deer within a mile of my house, but that just wasn't my thing. I would always drive down to the gila, 360 miles and camp for a week, sometimes get a deer and sometimes not even see a legal buck. I always thought they had the seasons mixed up, it seemed like elk would be everywhere during deer season and visa versa. lol

I just hate paying huge out of state tags or land owner fees, especially when there is a lots of public land with little to no pressure on it. The hunt, the camp and the camp meals were my main priority, the quarry second on the list.

Them coues deer are not only little, they are smart too.

AZ_builder

I've spent a lot of time on the gila, in az and nm. Nice country. Hunted my fair share mulies but never had the chance at the grain fed ones lol. All mine were high desert or pine bucks.

starmac

I have never hunted them, even on years I didn't have time to go to the hills, for some reason it just isn't the same.

I have eaten my share of farm country muleys , white tails too, and it is better meat, but then I never had a problem with the wild taste either.

Thank You Sponsors!