iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Selling load of firewood logs

Started by D2 Cody, December 07, 2018, 10:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D2 Cody

I have been contemplating even posting this but wanted to tell a good story. I in no way want to or am trying to offend anyone or start a war so please do not be offended firewood guys or anybody else. So earlier tonight i received a phone call back from a guy i had called earlier today and left a message on his cell phone about his local craigslist ad wanting to purchase firewood in bulk. I asked him first what he was exactly wanting and he said 8 foot long by 16 inch and under hardwood logs delivered into his yard to be ran through his processor for firewood resale. This all sounded alright so I next asked him how he purchases these loads if I haul them in by the semi load and this is where it spiraled, crashed, then burned.. my back side. The guy tells me the logger quotes him a price then he says yes, no, or will negotiate. Now I am sitting here scratching my head and ask him do you not buy by the ton or cord or some standard set measurement, he replies no that he measures the trailer because he buys it by the pickup truck load then tells the logger how many pickup truck loads are on the loggers trailer after he measures it then they talk price. I am sorry but this is in no way very accurate, professional, or fair and every other mill or firewood processor I have hauled into for several years since I started buys by the ton, cord, or board foot depending on what type of load we have on. How do I the logger know I am not getting shafted by this guy after all of my hard work to deliver a good product and how does he know what he is exactly getting then I think about the poor guy buying the final product and the shafting he is probably getting from this unprofessional way of business. Our forest products industry in Nebraska is struggling to get off of the ground and under utilized even though we have an abundant resource of timber that includes many different types of trees  and with stuff like this going on it will never grow and become a true source of business for our state so this just disappoints me as I would love for a better market to open up for the few loggers we have. P.S. The best part is is he even has a loader he can push the logs off of my truck with, if he did this my contracted hauler would not be happy to say the least if he tore his trailer up lol. Anyway I thanked the gentleman for his time "the whole two and a half minutes he had to talk and was told next time to text as that is the way he usually does business", so I said good bye hung up and do not plan on ever calling texting or sending a smoke signal again. 
Are you just going to lay there and bleed or get up and do something about it..Wyatt Earp Tombstone

Echo-Stihl-Caterpillar-Dodge-Craftsman-Lincoln

BargeMonkey

I supply more processors than I will ever admit to 😂 Loads are sold on the understanding of 6-6.5 split cord, if they get 7 good for them, if I send a load that's shy they generally let me know but it's rare and on the honor system. Like you said, in less than 3mins you figured out he wasnt worth dealing with, those people are everywhere in the firewood business and usually go away in a few yrs. 

Southside

What do you mean posting this?  I thought after we spoke you was gonna rush right over with wood??   ;D  It would almost be worth it to stop in to his place just to see his processor given the description he gave you.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

It takes all kinds i guess.  Atleast he's workin at something.  
Praise The Lord

curved-wood

Oh yes a lot of different people around. Customers are not always easy to follow even with a widely stretch common sense. But imagine if we were all the same, we could end up loving all the same women ! :D So next time you cross a weardoo, just be happy that you could love your wife more peacefully :D

Lumberjohn

About all you can do is haul a load in and see what happens? I guess he could have at least gave you a ballpark figure.

Corley5

Makes me wonder about the producers that are selling him wood :-\ :-\
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

mike_belben

Selling pickup truck loads of logs to a firewood processor almost certainly puts them in the poor category too.  
Praise The Lord

KEC

You say he wants the stuff cut to length? Firewood truckloads are generally top logs and certainly random length. Run, don't walk, away; you knew that!  The first strike against this was "craigslist" Here people post for "free wood" on craigslist. One guy offered a "free oak, easy drop" which was an ugly old soft maple growing over top of a building, "Free!" Craigslist is just fine for other things. 

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

I doubt bernie madoff even owned a pair of work gloves.
Praise The Lord

BargeMonkey

Quote from: mike_belben on December 08, 2018, 09:16:16 PM
I doubt bernie madoff even owned a pair of work gloves.
I doubt he even has "Soap on a rope" now 😂 

mills

Back several years ago a local guy bought a processor. Never heard a peep out of him for the first year, and then out of the blue he started hitting me up for logs. Never could nail him to a price, and kept saying that he paid on the quality of the logs when delivered. Knowing who I was dealing with, I wasn't real trusting and never hauled any to him. Finally, after several encounters I agreed to bring him a load. It was all straight red oak tops anywhere from 12" down to 8". Several tie logs in the mix, but I was hoping this would work into new market opportunity. It didn't. He circle the truck several times, but never shot a price. His brother and dad came over started pointing out different logs and why they wouldn't make good fire wood logs. Finally, after several minutes of this I told them what the load would be worth as pulp wood, take it or me and the truck was headed to the pulp yard. They hee and hawed around for a bit and agreed to pay for the only load they were ever going to get from me. His operation didn't last long after that. Seems that none of the other loggers in the area like his prices either. ::)

jwilly3879

We sell firewood in 8' lengths by the triaxle load delivered and piled. The processor guys want baby veneer, the chainsaw guys just want wood and are the largest buyers. I think over 50% of the homes in my area heat with wood and right now they are desperate for wood. Our trucker handles most of the sales and pays us for the wood on the landing. He resells it for $700 to $800 for a load depending on where he delivers and stacks it.

We just sent some aspen to the shavings plant and he stick scaled at 8.4 cords. Not many complaints about quantity on his loads and the big knotty stuff gets set aside and goes as pulp.

Corley5

I just took delivery three 10 cord lead loads of 100" green sugar maple pulp with a little beech @ $80.00 per cord.  I've got another 10 of dead ash coming for the same price.  No questions as to how the loads are measured ;D :)   
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

GRANITEstateMP

Around here, the trucker sets the price of the load. The fella I buy most of my logs from says his tri-axle, front loader truck holds between 8-9 cord.  I've bought lots of loads off of him, he's pretty spot on. I run a small processor, it's a bit picky on what it'll eat.  I sort my logs, most go into the processor, the rest to a separate landing where we work them up by hand.  The guys I buy from know my processor/opperation isn't huge and that I'll pay a little extra for nice stuff.  They also know that I pay cash, and they get paid while unloading.  When its an ugly load, they'll give me a heads up.  Ive never refused a load, but ive bought some that others have refused!  A few times Ive bought mixed loads off hardwood with a little pine / hemlock when its the last load off a job, they charge accordingly.  

I guess what I'm saying is once you've established a little trust in one another things usually work out.  That being said, no way I'd want to sell to the guy in the original post!  Something aint right there!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Thank You Sponsors!