iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: rain  (Read 5415 times)

Offline Brian w

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: rain
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2018, 05:09:22 PM »
Well I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one getting rained on every other day. I seen the post about the brush mats and that is a good idea if you're a flat lander but it's not practical here in the foothills of the mountains. I also have been cutting in the state Forest so I'm limited to what I am allowed to do. I would tryy the shuttle logging but I'm limited to the equipment I have already. Especially with the weather I can't afford to buy anything else can barely keep what I have running.

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2018, 05:35:38 PM »
You are not alone Brian.  What a year.
Liking Walnut

Offline quilbilly

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2018, 09:50:14 AM »
Although y'all might not be able to do brush mats for other reasons I'm pretty sure it's steeper here than there. We use brush mats nearly all the time. I'm thinking the lack of brush mats might have to do with the type of wood, it's probably harder to do in a hardwood stand as opposed to our softwood stands. We often, not always, have small shade loving trees like WRC and WH mixed in with our Doug fir stands to drive over in combo with the limbs from the mature wood.
a man is strongest on his knees

Online Skeans1

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2018, 10:02:59 AM »
Although y'all might not be able to do brush mats for other reasons I'm pretty sure it's steeper here than there. We use brush mats nearly all the time. I'm thinking the lack of brush mats might have to do with the type of wood, it's probably harder to do in a hardwood stand as opposed to our softwood stands. We often, not always, have small shade loving trees like WRC and WH mixed in with our Doug fir stands to drive over in combo with the limbs from the mature wood.
And if we donít, Iíll cut pulp up for slash in the trails just to keep from sinking out.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2018, 11:20:49 AM »
Guys running processors can do that with a push of a button.  The bulk of appalachian mountain logging is beat to death cable skidders, dozers and even tractors.  The "bigger" outfits are mostly grapple skidders pulling to a knuckleboom or maybe a shovel loader.  Tops stay in the bush.  Very few harvesters around compared to the prevalence of older stuff.  The coop stocks chokers and winch line but not harvester chain. 
Revelation 3:20

Online Skeans1

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2018, 02:00:31 PM »
Guys running processors can do that with a push of a button.  The bulk of appalachian mountain logging is beat to death cable skidders, dozers and even tractors.  The "bigger" outfits are mostly grapple skidders pulling to a knuckleboom or maybe a shovel loader.  Tops stay in the bush.  Very few harvesters around compared to the prevalence of older stuff.  The coop stocks chokers and winch line but not harvester chain.
Mike thatís what we are talking about for a brush mat is running on the tops, with a pull through setup all the slash is on the landing you can grab a turn of it per turn in that can be spread on the trails.

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
    • ehpsaws.com
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2018, 05:13:58 PM »
land owner has lived 42 years at this bush and said its the wettest he has ever seen, its bad. I cannot make ruts , I cannot cut any tree that does not have paint on it and there is never any small trees marked . Tree by-law person lives at the end of this bush and the next 2 Im to cut . Lots of places the water is 18 inches deep on flat land . If I make a rut I get fined hard so you have to just wait it out

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2018, 08:32:10 PM »
Mike thatís what we are talking about for a brush mat is running on the tops, with a pull through setup all the slash is on the landing you can grab a turn of it per turn in that can be spread on the trails.
No i get it.. Im saying its not common here.  Maybe should be but isnt.  

Offline Brian w

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2018, 10:24:20 AM »
Well here we go again worked two days this week in foot deep mud n now it's raining again

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2018, 05:01:31 PM »
Yep, same.  Im soaked to my socks and undies despite muck boots and rain suit. How does that even happen?  Worked all day for $40 but the kid inside a 72 degree mcdonalds needs $15/hr 
::)

Online lxskllr

• dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2018, 05:07:35 PM »
Yep, same.  Im soaked to my socks and undies despite muck boots and rain suit. How does that even happen?  Worked all day for $40 but the kid inside a 72 degree mcdonalds needs $15/hr
::)
But you aren't in McDonalds. Hard to put a price on that  ;^)

Offline Wudman

• Forester
  • Eat, drink, and be merry before you go on quota!
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2018, 05:21:27 PM »
Some days you just need to stay at home:

These two were trying to get to the cutter that was buried.  You can run on sand until it is totally saturated......then it craps out too.  At least there are no ruts.  I just runs back together behind you.  When you lose an LGP dozer, it is just a tad wet.

Wudman 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2018, 05:56:33 PM »
Oh dang

Online Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2018, 06:15:03 PM »
Back in the 90's I saw a CTL processor that broke one track through ground in a bog, the operator was smart, called for the forwarder to hook onto him to pull him back, well that resulted in the other track breaking through, it only got worse from there until the only thing above ground level was the head.  Excavated a gigantic hole around the machine and cribbed trailer load after trailer load of tree length wood under it to make a mat.  Things were not going well and there was talk of leaving the machine and salvaging the head.  Of course by now the starter went and she was a dead anchor.  Took four or five days but the crew managed to get the machine out, in the end it only needed a starter and a planetary rebuilt.   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
    • ehpsaws.com
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2018, 08:02:52 PM »
we got another 2 1/2 inches of rain couple nights ago and now were to get a pile again thurs and Friday , its to be 50 F on Friday here , yep its been a cold cold winter so far .

Offline GAB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2018, 08:26:09 PM »

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

These two were trying to get to the cutter that was buried.  You can run on sand until it is totally saturated......then it craps out too.  At least there are no ruts.  I just runs back together behind you.  When you lose an LGP dozer, it is just a tad wet.

Wudman
I was once told to accent the positive - in this case you know where your toys are.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34 w/6' ext & SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2018, 09:07:04 PM »

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

These two were trying to get to the cutter that was buried.  You can run on sand until it is totally saturated......then it craps out too.  At least there are no ruts.  I just runs back together behind you.  When you lose an LGP dozer, it is just a tad wet.

Wudman
I was once told to accent the positive - in this case you know where your toys are.
Gerald
Got a laugh from your positive outlook!  Thanks from a wet Virginian.  @wudman I guess those were stuck earlier this year.  What a year.
Liking Walnut

Offline Wudman

• Forester
  • Eat, drink, and be merry before you go on quota!
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2018, 09:56:52 AM »
Yep.  Just before our first killing frost.  That would have happened when you pulled off the blacktop today.  More coming this weekend.

Wudman

Offline Brian w

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2018, 03:56:40 PM »
Anyone know how to get one of those reality shows. I want to call mine logging for no profit. Or maybe wishing I could work.

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2018, 04:24:27 PM »
Funny thing is the mills are screaming for logs but prices have not budged, sometimes gone backwards.  No logs and still won't increase pricing.  Sigh.

That's not going to make us want to work hard next week.  That said, I've got to put 20MBF on the ground about every week and frankly that should be a cake walk, like every day.  With this rain it is a miserable experience.  I have 3 pairs of boots...I just rotate due to mud.  If it would get cold enough to stay frozen for 6 weeks we could make some progress.
Liking Walnut

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
A Little Rain

Started by Autocar on Forestry and Logging

3 Replies
Last post November 14, 2017, 08:49:15 PM
by mike_belben
xx
Rain?

Started by macpower on Sawmills and Milling

8 Replies
Last post June 05, 2012, 08:29:18 AM
by laffs