The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Clone saws.  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Phil_Oz

• G'Day from Oz
    • Share Post
Clone saws.
« on: December 19, 2018, 04:28:20 AM »
Its been raining a lot here lately, so I've spent a lot of time on the 'puter. A byproduct of getting into this forum is I've read many threads and (I think) started exploring the saw subculture that is out there.

One thing I have found is that the (usually Chinese) clones that are out there have a real following - Farmertec/ Holzfforma being one example.

Many of the hard core saw users seem to go for a clone of the bigger Stihls and Huskys, mod them, put selected OEM parts on them, and seem to get a good package going for way less than half the price of an OEM saw.

Yes, there are some issues I can see with copyright for example - Stihl and Husky put a lot of R&D into these designs - only to have the chinese simply copy them.

On the other hand, I'm in Oz - even taking exchange rate into account, we probably pay up to twice what you guys in Nth America do (that is probably an agent/wholesaler issue, but the OEMs DO licence said wholesalers too - so the ethics of it cuts both ways IMHO).
Is a clone saw really all that different in principle to aftermarket parts?

Do any of you have some stories to tell, or opinions to air, on clone saws?

Stihl MS291, Stihl MS170, Husqvarna Rancher 50 (~86 model).

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
  • "Been there, done that........and still learning"
    • Share Post
Re: Clone saws.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 07:24:06 AM »
After market parts have pretty well been around as long as chainsaws.
I remember in the 1980's Taiwanese and Italian made parts were popular.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Offline hedgerow

• Share Post
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 09:24:27 AM »
Phil_Oz
I too have thinking about these clone saws. I could use a 90cc saw for that once in a while tree on the farm that the Stihl 461 needs a little help. I have ran and installed a bunch of the HF knock off Honda engines on a wide variety of equipment and have had zero issues with them. I am just not sure they have got the chain saw quality to that level or not. Sounds like folks are making the kit saws  work if they sub some oem parts in the right areas. I don't think I am ready quiet yet to lay down my money for one.  

Offline weimedog

• Senior Member x2
  • Better to be a "Has Been" than a "Never Been"!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 10:46:39 AM »
I've had a bit of experience with them. A couple of things that might not be obvious...first. I really don't like cutting up a perfectly good or new OEM stock saw. Hard to beat a well setup with a sharp chain pro saw from any of the major manufacturers. I am going somewhere with this..:) Second, the OEM's such as Stihl and Husqvarna spend gazillions of dollars for research and testing to make certain their saws meet the needs of their customers AND from a service stand point, their dealers. And do this with the constraints placed by politics and the resultant governmental regulations. So with all that I appreciate the good OEM's even more, and to all who will listen; my opinion is a good OEM pro saw is the best solution for 90 percent of the folks out there, from farmers to pro's as a cost effective tool.

For me, and I can only speak for myself, as I said; I really avoid cutting up a good OEM saw. You can go back through ALL my postings and interactions over the years and that will ....become apparent. The aftermarket thing happens in all things where there is past sales volume and enough wear related repair to justify a company to tool up and compete for those repair parts. And even complete machines in some cases, witness the Harley Davidson world with complete motors, or the lawn mower world with copy Honda motors. Look at all the "AR" variants out there.

So this new "twist" of complete saws isn't new. But still I'm conflicted. In some cases, especially with saws no longer produced or supported, aftermarket is a blessing for those who like to keep the old things running. For me they have provided a source of things to cut up and personalize, something as defined in paragraph one I don't like to do with OEM saws. For that matter most of the modifications/experimentation I have done over the decades started with saws run past their service life and why not hack at them for fun? For me, the new Aftermarket stuff gives me cheap raw material to explore while leaving my OEM's as shelf queens..:) A twist honestly I never could have anticipated. And I've done a lot of work with those creations. Built "used up" OEM's, hacked up AM's, and blends. That's the hobby for me.

Those compete AM saws? Better than the kits from what I can see. And for some a place to start that doesn't require the skills and tools a kit does. Nothing I have seen to this point leads me to believe these AM saws are and alternative solution to a serious saw user for the much better build quality of the OEM's. Nothing. The ones I see still will need tactical replacement of parts to be truly useful and over the years the AM parts have been a moving target so nothing I have seen has changed my view of that even with these compete saws. So I will continue to say to all who will listen, if you expect to spend money on AM and get OEM levels of quality and reliability you will be disappointed. If you are a pro and see a cheap alternative, you too will be disappointed, that's a bad business move. If you are a hobbyist and don't mind debugging these things and infact expect too, you can have a lot of fun with these saws, and the complete build might be a way to skip past skill and tool issues. I was able to develop the 660 versions into a useful tool, but it took.....2 years of learning what had to be swapped out and modified. Was that a cost effective use of time?? Heck no!! But hobby time isn't measured or quantified and work or business time. It was a challenge and fun for me. A reason to use the Lathe and now a mill. Just my experience. And its all documented. Looks like the 372 AM series are going to be about the same. This stuff is not for everyone...not OEM. With the typical mindset, a huge waste of time and money. So if a person goes that way, please do it eyes open.

AND please consider from a cost / quality perspective, I was able to do the same hack and tack approach to OEM Husqvarna 390's and MAKE money as the results were something I felt good about selling. ALL OEM rebuilds. Picked over a box of 385/390 bones bought from a logger, they were used up. Added time and some new parts, put about $500 into the project. Sold two for $350 each. Hobby turned "cost positive". That's the alternative to the AM thing. I am going to do more of that, starting with Husqvarna 372's, Stihl 441's and 461s. Stay tuned.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Offline Phil_Oz

• G'Day from Oz
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 05:43:52 PM »
....If you are a hobbyist and don't mind debugging these things and infact expect too, you can have a lot of fun with these saws, and the complete build might be a way to skip past skill and tool issues....
Thanks for the thoughtful reply - that's the takeaway for me.

....I would buy a saw a month if I let my discipline down, but don't - SWMBOB ('her inside') wouldn't be impressed any ways I'm sure - but she is somewhat used to me having old radios and camp stoves collecting in dark places anyway.
I'm just getting into this as a hobby - retirement looms and IMHO you need a variety of things to do - not that I have much of a problem with that.

Clones do attract for the reasons you outline for a hobbyist. They could also be a cheap pathway to a big saw for very occasional use - and otherwise sit on the shelf as a conversation piece.

Offline mredden

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 02:09:59 PM »
Its been raining a lot here lately, so I've spent a lot of time on the 'puter. A byproduct of getting into this forum is I've read many threads and (I think) started exploring the saw subculture that is out there.

One thing I have found is that the (usually Chinese) clones that are out there have a real following - Farmertec/ Holzfforma being one example.

Many of the hard core saw users seem to go for a clone of the bigger Stihls and Huskys, mod them, put selected OEM parts on them, and seem to get a good package going for way less than half the price of an OEM saw.

Yes, there are some issues I can see with copyright for example - Stihl and Husky put a lot of R&D into these designs - only to have the chinese simply copy them.

On the other hand, I'm in Oz - even taking exchange rate into account, we probably pay up to twice what you guys in Nth America do (that is probably an agent/wholesaler issue, but the OEMs DO licence said wholesalers too - so the ethics of it cuts both ways IMHO).

Actually, the word for design protection of mechanical designs is "PATENT" rather than "copyright" but I'm just nitpicking there. In the U.S., Germany, Sweden and most other countries, patent rights only last 20 years. Imagine if Crapper Ltd. was the only company that could make toilets. It appears to me that the saws sold by Farmertec/Holz/Hutzl are copies of saws which are well over 20 years old. Thus, the originators like Stihl and Husqvarna have no ownership of the saw design.
The 070 clone appears to be very popular. Stihl no longer manufacturers them (at least for the US and Western European countries). They have moved on to lighter, more efficient, safer and less polluting designs that they have patented. I doubt Stihl still even makes 070 parts anymore. (I could be wrong, but I can't see that being cost effective for them).
Anyway, I'm just glad that Farmer/Holzff/Hutzl are becoming something of a recognizable name because that MAY cause them to be more demanding of quality control by the (probably independent) manufacturers they buy from.

Offline Air Lad

• Full Member x2
  • Onwards and upwards
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 04:15:25 AM »

Interesting video's Phil_Oz. 
I bought a Chinese version of something from Trade Tools about 9 yrs ago
It's  a 51.2cc/20 inch bar 325 chain  the original I haven't a clue ? 
They still sell an upgraded version and call it a Renegade
Anyway what I wanted to say is that apart from a failed coil at 3 months (warranty)this beast had gone great
I am not a pro . Just cut heaps of firewood and maintain a couple of propertys
The timber being cut for the fire is predominantly Ironbark which is fairly testy on a saw
It has an adjustable oiler, alloy body with plastic covers, Walbro carby, Oregon bar.
Got better saws now but cannot part with this as a backup
I'm new but willing to weigh in
Cheers
Ms 170/260c /039...Husk 142e/240e...Unloved Chinese 51.2cc that hasn't done anything wrong...2 x dead Mculloch's ..Vintage Poulan.. and a vintage Echo that still runs beaut

Online Old Greenhorn

• An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 08:54:33 AM »
I too have been thinking of one of these for those 'once in a while' trees. Looking at the 372XP clone (71cc) and the question that holds me back is: You buy this saw off the internet and it shows up, but when it doesn't run, has a defective part, or the blasted computer needs an 'update' where do you go? Nobody locally is gonna touch these saws, I wouldn't if I was a service guy. How are these guys with warranty parts? Anybody know? Right now I am thinking 'you pays your money, you takes your chances' and you are on your own. Curious what others have found.
Tom
Can You help out the Coleman Veterans Memorial by chipping in a few bucks? Go here for the full story: Can you help this year? in General Board

I ain't the woodcutter, but I can cut wood 'til the woodcutter gets here.

Offline Phil_Oz

• G'Day from Oz
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 06:55:22 PM »
.... Nobody locally is gonna touch these saws, I wouldn't if I was a service guy. How are these guys with warranty parts? Anybody know? Right now I am thinking 'you pays your money, you takes your chances' and you are on your own. Curious what others have found.
Tom
True, but i think weimedog's comment holds true. If you go this route, it's best suited to a hobbyist who is willing to tinker on his own workbench. You don't have to - but if you need support - that support is you.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Any Pro's using Kit Saws or Clone Saws

Started by Thunderfist on Chainsaws

16 Replies
Last post November 02, 2018, 12:43:51 PM
by motzingg
xx
Has anyone tried this 066 clone?

Started by joe_indi on Chainsaws

3 Replies
Last post October 29, 2018, 04:43:53 PM
by ZeroJunk