iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Forklift Lifting Capacity?  (Read 1239 times)

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Forklift Lifting Capacity?
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2018, 07:37:33 AM »
Larry that's what I was talking about in post#19.
We call them spider lifts 
thomas 8013 mill ,Mahindra 3540 cab tractor loader  Dump trailer  and lot of contracting tools

Online Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2018, 08:52:38 AM »
Down here they are usually called a Moffett, most of ours come from them. If you are looking at craigslist or trade papers probably watch for all the terms. The newer ones have better battery placement and controls but they are pretty impressive machines.
A laborer works with his hands
A craftsman uses his brain and his hands
An artist uses his brain, his hands, and his heart

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2018, 09:23:53 AM »
I have seen them pick some impressive lifts for the size 
thomas 8013 mill ,Mahindra 3540 cab tractor loader  Dump trailer  and lot of contracting tools

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Converting your logs to lumber at my home or yours
    • Share Post
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2018, 02:08:09 PM »
I move logs on gravel and grassy areas, although I have a 40 hp 4wd tractor w/FEL and a big skid steer, my go to is a Princeton Teledyne 3 wheel forklift, usually called a piggyback. Similar to Larry's, it'll turn on a dime.  The width is about 8'4" which gives it a very stable base, but there are areas where it is a tight fit.  

Rated for 5000 pounds, for maximum lifts I have to put the outriggers down, lift the load slightly higher than the front tires, retract the carriage which moves the center of gravity behind the front axles, retract the outriggers and go anywhere I need to.  It takes a little bit longer but they are very economical on fuel and are able to carry a load greater than they weigh - so they can load themselves on the back of semi-trailers.  If you can fit the width on your trailer, you can move it with a regular pickup, mine only weighs 4700 pounds.

07 Timberking B-20, Custom-made log arch, 20' trailer w/ log loading arch, F350 SD flatbed dump.  Princeton piggy-back forklift.  Bobcat S250, Stihl 025C 16" and a Husqvarna 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says "He's sawin logs", I ain't snorin'.

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2018, 08:21:32 AM »
I see very few of the piggy backs for sale also,but I will keep them on my radar. 
My repair man has a forklift for sale this week with pneumatic tires which will be good for me. It is over my budget but there is not much for sale. Hopefully in the new year I will start to see more for sale.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2019, 09:29:20 AM »
I pulled the trigger on a TCM with 7,000 hrs yesterday, brand new solid tires, new seat, lift safetied, co2 under the limit,  lifting capacity 3500 lbs at 185 inches. The gentleman that sold it to me runs a gret mobile repair shop and he is convinced this will work great for me. Lifting 5,000 lbs at the lower level should be no problems. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Always taking steps to save steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2019, 10:05:52 AM »
TCM are good lifts.
When you first get it, run it everywhere you will operate, unloaded, and look for potential soft spots, I.e. try to get stuck.  You may not have any problem, or you may find a few questionable spot.  Then put a few inches of 3/4 crushed run with fines there and drive back and forth until it packs and then go to the next spot. Now is a great time of year because of the potentially soft ground.  The forklift paths donít have to be wide, just wide enough.  If you start spinning, stop.  Straighten the steer tires, and gently hit the gas again.  Usually itís the steering tires turned at a hard angle that will act as brakes, and cause the drive tires to spin.  If a spot looks dicey, straighten the steering and drive through, then throw some gravel in the spot. 

If you have good gravel, you wonít get stuck even with a max load.

You might just order a load of gravel and dump it in a pile out of the way, so you can use quickly fill in any soft spots if you find them.

Forklifts are easy to pull out if you get stuck.  There should be a hitch pin on the rear for a strap.  However a very easy way to get one out is to tilt the fork cage all the way back.  Then put a board in the ground under the fork cage and tilt forward.  This will jack the front end and tires out of the ground about 5 inches.  Put a board under the tires, tilt forward to set the tires down and drive off.  This is how mechanics change the drive tires on these machines with no jack.

You will love the speed and nimbleness of these machines.  I also use mine as a portable workbench.
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2019, 05:47:20 PM »
Thank YH, I wish I lived in the south and had to deal with soft spots, at this time of the year. Once it warm's up, I'm sure I'll be adding gravel, thanks for the heads up on the fork cage. It alwasy nice to know how to get unstuck the easier way.

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2019, 09:59:43 AM »
Here it is the new to me TCM. I have the walls painted, painting  the floor now and then some racking to store wood. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Forklift Forks - 8000 lb capacity 6 ft to 8ft in length

Started by Warren on Wanted

7 Replies
Last post August 28, 2011, 10:16:27 PM
by Ironwood
xx
Kiln Capacity

Started by YellowHammer on Drying and Processing

9 Replies
Last post March 30, 2012, 09:01:31 AM
by FeltzE