iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies

Author Topic: Fire Starting 101  (Read 1431 times)

Offline alan gage

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Fire Starting 101
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 05:28:21 PM »
You must have really good kindling for that and if its working for you then you are obviously doing something right.

It's either cutoffs from the shop, skinny sawmill edgings, or I try to rip off loose straps from the splits. That's easy to do now since they're all axe split. Next year's wood was split on the splitter so much cleaner. When I was building canoes the cedar strip cutoffs worked great!

The only newspaper I get is a small weekly shopper, about 3 pages, so I need to be stingy with it.

Alan
Timberking B-16

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2019, 06:07:49 PM »
   Yeah my paper is a weekly trader printed on single sheets about the size of one old newspaper page - not the double/folded size. I usually use about 2 of those size pages and they generate enough flame to start my fires. Planer shaving work well when I have them and they leave more residual small glowing coals to help heat and ignite the kindling.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2019, 07:21:54 PM »
I use a Bernzomatic if I have kindling, the 500k btu if I dont. The 500k will heat the boiler by itself if the wood doesnt want to burn right away. :D

Some of the best kindling I've ever had was the thin shavings from fake hewing white oak timbers. A four inch layer in the bottom of the Ashley, then whatever firewood I had to fill the stove. Toss a match in and walk away. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"Logrite!

Offline Wudman

• Forester
  • Eat, drink, and be merry before you go on quota!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2019, 10:31:11 AM »
I had a buddy fishing in Alaska a few years back.  They got caught in a squall and got wet.  Their guide pulled up on a beach and was going to start a fire for them.  It was about 35 degrees in a driving rain with the wind blowing about 30 mph.  He asked the guide how he was going to start a fire in those conditions.  The guide responded "Ancient Eskimo Secret".  He got the gas can off the outboard and had it rolling in just a second.  Use what is available.

Wudman

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2019, 01:16:10 PM »
Wud,

I think most of us have taken some short cuts like that and they are good to know for emergencies and such. There really is a time and place for such and they are good to know.

This thread was intended to address normal routine fire starting. We could have another thread on "creative firestarting" and hear a bunch of tales about lost eyebrows and singed hair on arms and such. When you start adding some tales from military veterans it gets even more interesting, sometimes funny - sometimes not so much. I could tell you about the night I nearly burned down half the training area at Parris Island but I digress.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2019, 11:42:34 PM »
Boy i wish you had.  Oohrah. 
Revelation 3:20

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2019, 12:39:32 AM »
To some of us, a 500,000 btu is routine fire starting. ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"Logrite!

Offline nybhh

• Share Post
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2019, 06:55:24 PM »
We use a plumbing torch outfitted with mapp gas to start our wood stove.  Kindling is usually kd scrap cutoffs from my shop although I caught my wife eyeing my sticker pile this fall and had to shut that down real quick!  :o

Over Thanksgiving, I was awakened about 5am one morning to the sound of that torch hissing away.  I hopped out of bed and caught my father-in-law trying to light an 8” dia log with that torch and no kidling or anything!!! They do live in Hawaii but apparently he had been at it for about 15 minutes when I woke up and was visibly frustrated and embarrased about how “hard firestarting is”!  :D :D

Woodmizer LT15, Kubota L3800, Stihl MS261

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Fire starting equipment

Started by JD_Kid on General Board

3 Replies
Last post June 02, 2004, 03:36:30 PM
by JD_Kid
xx
Husky 346XP not starting? Has fire, plug wet. Won't kick off with ether either

Started by Thechamp on Chainsaws

32 Replies
Last post September 01, 2014, 07:29:57 AM
by timberlinetree