iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Feeding of the deer

Started by thecfarm, December 30, 2018, 10:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Moose? I saw one track,yes,only one track a few years ago. I can't even remember the last time I have seen a moose around here,even driving.
The turkeys have found the food. Or what is left. ;D  I only feed at night. The deer do a very good job cleaning it up. Well I say only at night. The step son will be here today.I'll put some food out so the deer will come. When company comes,I put some food out for the deer too. But I have put food out and no deer will come out during daylight hours.
Years ago,when times was better,I would feed the deer in the day. Had some feeding off and on all day. Most times during daylight hours,only 2-3-4 maybe 6 would come out at one time. The deer would eat for about 15 minutes than wander off and another bunch would come in and do the same thing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

KEC

In New York you can legally provide deer with cut browse. If someone cuts a White Cedar in the winter, Just take some of those lush green boughs and hang them upside down in the lower limbs of other trees so deer can reach the foliage. And do it out away from the roads to keep the deer and motorists safe. 

SwampDonkey

On about the moose thing, they are seriously in decline in Nova Scotia, so bad that they want to make sure the only land connection between the two provinces is free for the moose to use as a corridor to migrate from NB. Of course nothing says they don't all want out of NS to. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Pulphook

Not getting into the debate about feeding wild animals after the flaming here.

Some wildlife facts:
Moose and deer don't do well in the same habitat.
In Downeast Maine at least, whitetail hunting has drastically declined ( wealth ? the internet ? easy meat availability in stores ? generational ?).
Too many deer-vehicle interactions; deer often run into the sides of vehicles.
Chronic wasting disease is taking down deer in other parts of the country.
Maine moose are inundated with ticks ( look up those who have hit a moose) .

End.

Two wood stoves ( Jotul Rangely ,Jotul Oslo ) heating 99 44/100%
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

SwampDonkey

Moose here are actually being tormented by winter mites but I read the phrase often 'winter tick is a mite'. Well no, a tick is a tick a mite is a mite. A blue jay is not a chicken. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mike_belben

Buck i got this season was crawling in stuff and things i didnt care to eat. Coyotes didnt seem bothered. 
Praise The Lord

Pulphook

Hope this is another dry year...ticks like moisture.
For those of us spending time in the 'bush' it is easy to be paranoid about ticks. Change clothes, spray, do the usual crevise check, shower.
Hate them. Did I say "I hate ticks " ? Hate.
A friend, a minister, spent two years with the tick bourne disease; devastating for him.
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

mike_belben

I stopped counting at around 28 bites last year.  Had one on me yesterday actually.  I got a few chickens this year free ranging around. I hope they help.
Praise The Lord

Pulphook

It's the deer ticks you can't see that worry us. ( Is this another reason to not encourage whitetail population ? )
Deer are part of the tick vector.

SwampDonkey

So far so good here, never been bit, in the woods all day when the snow ain't on the ground. But the boss got bit last year he said. I found 2 or 3 dead moose last spring on thinning blocks and I think them mites are half the problem, major stress in winter when food is scarce. A bear had hid one of them in a big hole beside the road. Bear crap all around the place.

Pulphook

Don't feed the ticks. :o
Maine wardens find moose devastated by ticks. Deer are part of the tick vector yet deer are not affected by ticks.
In this part of the world, ticks are a deadly serious problem for humans. Fish and Game recommends not to feed deer.....here.

thecfarm

The horse is dead,stop beating it!!!     :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

newoodguy78

SwampDonkey

None to feed around here this time of year, they moved out for the winter. :D

Magicman

Quote from: Pulphook on February 17, 2019, 07:16:16 AMNot getting into the debate about feeding wild animals after the flaming here.

End.

Quote from: Pulphook on February 18, 2019, 06:07:11 AMFish and Game recommends not to feed deer.....here.

Quote from: thecfarm on February 18, 2019, 06:09:58 AMThe horse is dead,stop beating it!!!

Well he did quit beating it for almost 24 hours.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

@Pulphook  Enough of your trashing of this topic.  thecfarm started it to tell us about something he truly enjoys. Many of us do. Including myself. We DO NOT CARE WHAT YOU THINK about this because you obviously do not care what we think. If you did, you would keep your flippin fingers from typing crap that is obviously annoying other members. You are done here. Kapeesh?  Don't make me make you done everywhere on the Forestry Forum. Don't be crying about being flamed here when it was me addressing you.  That is not flaming. I own the joint. Understand??
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Pulphook

OK Jeff. "You own the joint".
No trashing ....it's an opinion based on sharing some facts. You want to own it , fine.
No one is trashing anything.

Jeff

Pulphook left a great big greeting card on the forum this morning. I happened to be setting here when he hit the post button. I think @Raider Bill was the only one else to see it before I removed it. I also removed Pulphook. Permanently.

thecfarm

Well I guess I am safe to say,I got some more apples. This time they was just dumped by the dumpster. I would say about 25 gallons worth. I put out 5 gallons when I got home at 6:30pm. Checked the furnace around 9:30 and the apples was all gone.

Jeff

I'm worried about our U.P. deer. The eastern end of the U.P. where I hunt is getting hammered with winter since Christmas.  I got a message on facebook from one of the neighbors up there asking if I was planning on coming up at all this winter.  I responded back saying I didn't think so, Why? do you need something brought up?  And he says no, just wanted to let you know the snow is now over your gate pipes.  I got a picture from him he took from the road about a month ago that wasn't quite that deep. Over the gate chains and up to the top of the porch. He says the poles are gone now.  In the picture the cable attaches to the posts about crotch high.

mike_belben

Dang

You better pray for some Gorebull warming.
Praise The Lord

newoodguy78

Jeff I think that's a valid concern for the deer herd. Dang that's a lot of snow 

LeeB

Will it make for some floods when it thaws?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Texas Ranger

That's what I like about the South!
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

Quote from: LeeB on February 19, 2019, 11:11:00 AM
Will it make for some floods when it thaws?
Nah, but it will be wet for a spell. If you could get up a 100ft high at the cabin, you could see lake Huron to the south, and the Saint Mary's river heading for Lake Superior to the North. Lots of room for the melt to go. :)

Thank You Sponsors!