The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Woods Porting  (Read 60571 times)

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
Re: Woods Porting
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2016, 06:59:14 PM »
Ed Heard not Hill .

I don't know if "Timber Wolf" ,Brian W. still tinkers with saws or not ,he's some place in Ont .

Tell you what happened , many who once did got fed up with the internet hoopla and don't even advertise on the net any more for porting work .It got to the point it was pathetic . As for me I know how,maybe not the best but the sun would rise in the west before old grumpy Al ever did work for anybody over the net .I don't have the time,darned sure don't need the money and won't put up with the nonsense .

Offline Benelli777

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2016, 07:55:56 PM »
Thanks for the help.

I new at this internet thing to, even if I am 37. I am kind of old school.

I can understand people getting tired of customers calling back because their ported saw did not cut white oak with teir dull chain like it was butter

I am looking to encourage a fellow Canadian and get a good working saw in return of payment. Not a GTG saw just a strong saw that will last me a long time with a diet of ethanol free gas and Motul 710

I am going to try ask mister EHP (Ed) if is willing to help me. I do not want anybody to get to worked up over this

Thanks

J-F

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2016, 08:47:33 PM »
Ed Heard not Hill .

Oops... I know an Ed Hill, so that's what always sticks in my mind.

If you are in his area, you could deal in person, rather than over the internet.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline CR888

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2016, 02:32:05 AM »
There is nothing wrong with a stock 562xp with a homelite muffler. A properly ported saw can be awesome but their are probably more poorly ported saws out there than good ones. Everyone will tell you how amazing their ported saw is, not many are really qualified to properly judge. You can just as easily end up with a worse saw than a better one. Good luck & be skeptical about what is stated as fact on the Internet's.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2016, 04:18:25 AM »
Thanks for the help.

I am looking to encourage a fellow Canadian and get a good working saw in return of payment. Not a GTG saw just a strong saw that will last me a long time with a diet of ethanol free gas and Motul 710

I am going to try ask mister EHP (Ed) if is willing to help me. I do not want anybody to get to worked up over this

Thanks

J-F
Ed builds a strong saw,I've ran some he reworked .

You mentioned cookie cutters ,GTG saws. Because that stuff was popular about 6-8-10 years ago .High ported and would scream. Made for cutting cants but not wood with the bark still on it .They'd cut real wood you just had to let them have tier head ,drop the reins so to speak .You couldn't  lean on them hard because they'd fall flat .That trend seems to have gone the way of the passenger pigeon.

Offline XP_Slinger

• Full Member x2
  • Makin my way
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2016, 02:32:50 PM »
Ed has been generously sharing information with me on a 372 thread here.  I attempted porting just for the challenge of learning how to do it PROPERLY.  I wasn't dissatisfied with my saw, but being that I am a wrench turning kind of fella I decided to give it a try.  It takes a lot more than just a dremel and a steady hand, I can't even count the hours of reading I did before I put a burr to my cylinder.  Now, my saw is not as strong as one of Eds but it IS stronger than it was stock and I am pleased with the results.  These results were only gained through taking my 2 stroke knowledge up another level, which again was greatly aided by guys like Ed, Spike60, Weimedog and a few others. 
346XP/NE
357XP...ported by MeDremel
372XP/XT...ported by A. Burr
Homelite (Solo) 340

I'd rather be in the woods than on this computer.

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2016, 02:27:51 PM »
thanks guys but sorry I'm not interested at this time , got way to much stuff on the go

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2016, 02:30:38 PM »
Al the new stratos saws make more torque when ported . The different intake and transfers make you go after torque compared to the older engines from before

Offline Benelli777

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2016, 06:17:49 PM »
mister Ed you really seem to know a LOT on those small engines.

I do not understand half of it tough. Lol!

I am sending my saw to Misouri next week as mister Randy (Mastemind) is booked tight and Scott kunz had a heart attack

I just would have like to buy from my country.  We have a rich history in logging. Hell the country's economy was based on it for a long time.

I Really enjoy reading Forestery Forum. And yes the thread on 372xp modding is facinating. Just to complicated for me right now

Offline XP_Slinger

• Full Member x2
  • Makin my way
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2016, 07:50:09 AM »
mister Ed you really seem to know a LOT on those small engines.

I do not understand half of it tough. Lol!

I am sending my saw to Misouri next week as mister Randy (Mastemind) is booked tight and Scott kunz had a heart attack

I just would have like to buy from my country.  We have a rich history in logging. Hell the country's economy was based on it for a long time.

I Really enjoy reading Forestery Forum. And yes the thread on 372xp modding is facinating. Just to complicated for me right now

It starts with interest and before you know it you'll be posting pics and videos of your first build...lol. 
346XP/NE
357XP...ported by MeDremel
372XP/XT...ported by A. Burr
Homelite (Solo) 340

I'd rather be in the woods than on this computer.

Offline Hartman

• Member*
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2019, 06:44:56 AM »
I've bought porting work from several builders over the years and have learned that nothing is guaranteed except inconsistency. I've had a couple exceptional saws, several duds and most have had modest gains but not as much as I expected. I guess the couple of exceptional saws have ruined me. Most of the builders I've dealt with (after following them on these forums) have horrible turnaround times. 6-8 weeks is average and sometimes your saw can disappear for several months, then you are the bad guy when you complain. I've weeded through a lot of saws (and builders) and finally have every saw in my arsenal ported and performing to my satisfaction. It hasn't been cheap or quick.

I have high hopes for the latest builder I've used. He did a very nice job on my 395xp last year and was thorough and prompt with it. I like the fact that he's a perfectionist. Unfortunately he's in Ontario, Canada so the shipping back and forth isn't cheap, and using UPS isn't an option due to Customs duties and taxes. But considering what my saws earn me over their lifetime, a few dollars shipping is nothing.
Could I get some info on this builder from Ontario? I too are from ontario and want to get some potting done to my 372xp and 390xp

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Woods porting

Started by Timbercruiser on Chainsaws

43 Replies
Last post June 19, 2012, 09:45:01 PM
by Al_Smith
xx
woods porting

Started by ed in idaho on Chainsaws

3 Replies
Last post August 28, 2014, 07:19:47 PM
by Oliver1655