The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: could use some help rebuilding a couple Husq 353 G e-tech saws (and a 357XPG)  (Read 198 times)

Offline jimbarry

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
    • WoodchuckCanuck
I've got two of these, one with a blown cyl (did last week). The other has a broken handle, probably been sitting for 6-7 years. Both inherited by father in law who passed a few years back. So I'd like to rebuild them. I also have a 357XPG that needs a new cylinder.

I'm asking for some help on what needs replacing and where to buy. I've read things about guys porting, but I don't know how and there's no one around here that does that. I'd just like to be able to tear them down and rebuild them.

Jim
2017 Nyle L200
8ft x 10 ft x 20ft bldg
3.5-4" 2lb closed cell spray foam, Demilec brand HeatLok Soya Spray Polyurethane Foam Insulation

Offline weimedog

• Senior Member x2
  • Better to be a "Has Been" than a "Never Been"!
    • Share Post
Certainly looks like you need a piston! They aren't bad. Usually the bottom ends are ok on those. Unless water got in them. So go with OEM top end and gaskets as a starting point. Also both will need new OEM intake boots and clamps. The Carbs will be a crap shoot.....and if your putting that kind of effort go ahead with new OEM fuel lines and carb kits.
You can often find good used tank/handles (OEM) online. OEM on parts is best especially if you are new to building saws as OEM stuff just works. No fiddle Farting around for fit and finish or tolerance issues. On the 357, check to see if it has one of those auto decomp deals..they are famous (along with plastic intake boot clamps ) for letting air in and the results creating nice aluminum deposits all over your cylinder wall...since you want to cut wood and not mine aluminum.... O.   E.   M. your parts.

Also both have the same "layout" so tearing them apart essentially will be the same, one just a little bigger than the other is all. Not rocket science either despite what some will lead you to believe. Pull the muffler along with handle bar and release the carbs from throttle cable, fuel line, and anti vib bushings. Take out the cylinder bolts and the hammering it free will commence.....:)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
  • "Been there, done that........and still learning"
    • Share Post
That has to be the worst lean seizure I ever seen. :D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Offline jimbarry

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
    • WoodchuckCanuck
That has to be the worst lean seizure I ever seen. :D
Here's the 357xpg.

Jim
2017 Nyle L200
8ft x 10 ft x 20ft bldg
3.5-4" 2lb closed cell spray foam, Demilec brand HeatLok Soya Spray Polyurethane Foam Insulation

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
    • ehpsaws.com
seen lots of saws from that area of Canada, first thing you need to do is have the crank checked out and make sure the rod and rod bearing is ok before you do anything else and check the crank bearings , Pretty much every saw I seen from there has been used cutting softwood and cylinder and crankcase get coated real bad in gum from the trees and saws over heat . I have seen saws you could not see the fins or the holes for the bolts that hold the cylinder to the crankcase

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
  • "Been there, done that........and still learning"
    • Share Post
Yep lots of sappy balsam fir and spruce out in the Maritimes. 

Here in Manitoba if I'm cutting all day in balsam my cutting pants can stand up on their own after the end of the day.
But I get a break in the winter from the sap as its frozen solid.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
??? about a couple of saws

Started by JB Griffin on Chainsaws

10 Replies
Last post December 05, 2014, 08:54:39 PM
by deerslayer
xx
couple a old saws

Started by skeetsman on Chainsaws

7 Replies
Last post October 25, 2013, 07:16:41 PM
by skeetsman