iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Looking to look at some sawmills  (Read 3212 times)

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
    • Share Post
Re: Looking to look at some sawmills
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2019, 09:59:20 AM »
500 hours on an lt40, ain't broke in good. Mine has 8200 hrs, I know of one locally with over 17,000 hrs on it, still in use. The biggest killer is rust from caked on wet sawdust. Keep it clean. Gas engines are usually good for 4-5 thousand hrs, diesel maybe twice that. Electric motors, don't think you can wear one out. At 8000 hrs, I have gone through a bunch of belts and a few bearings and brushes, swapped the motor out at 5500. On hydraulic woodmizers, the shortest life major item is the 12 volt motors that drive the hydraulic pump. Repair is not a problem, any good automotive starter shop or replacement from woodmizer. Go for the hydraulics if you can. I've had both, so speaking from experience.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Offline John S

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2019, 10:37:34 AM »
I am on my third Woodmizer, an LT40 Wide(not for sale).  I am in Sussex County near Stokes State Forest.  You are welcome to stop by for a demo anytime that weather permits.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Offline sideburnz

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2019, 05:37:39 PM »
Went to take a look at that LT40 today.  It is a non-hydro one, but I spent about 2 hours chatting with the guy selling and learned a lot so that was great.

It's looking like a hydro mill is not going to be in the budget unless I find an unreal deal.
I am on my third Woodmizer, an LT40 Wide(not for sale).  I am in Sussex County near Stokes State Forest.  You are welcome to stop by for a demo anytime that weather permits.
John S, thank you for the offer.  I'll be in touch to take you up on that offer.

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • My timberframe blog
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2019, 06:42:55 PM »
Budgets can change (save more, find a way to make more).  The decision to go manual or hydraulic came down to a couple specific factors for me.  1)I wanted the Woodmizer beam planer which runs on the sawmill track but can only be used on the LT15 track.  2)Most of my milling is for beams and sometimes long beams which require the use of up to 3 track extensions.  3) Your age/physical ability is a definite factor in your choice of mill.  Turning big logs or cants by hand can be difficult, as well as wedging one end of the log when you don't have toe boards.  If they offered hydraulic turner, clamps, and toe boards on the LT15 mill as an add on option, I'd get it.  I've lived without it and have gotten by, but I am not milling to sell wood.  I'm using all my wood to build.  Hydraulics would be much faster and greater output, but when it comes to beams, most are not using a lot of extensions on hydraulic mills.  Hydraulic mills (which include power feed) excel at making boards and lumber of normal sizes without using extensions.  So If you're making boards, lumber, or slabbing smaller logs, Hydraulic would be the way to go.  If you're getting on the older side, hydraulic is the way to go as manual moving will get old fast.  Just handling the sawn material is enough of a work out.  
Also, make lumber air drying pallets right from the start to stack your wood on.  I learned the hard way and had to do all the work of restacking recently.  Have pallets for 4, 6, 8feet, and if you need longer.  Organization and proper stacking and stickering of your lumber will help keep from having to restack it one or two additional times.
Welcome to the forestryforum.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Offline SawyerTed

• Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2019, 06:56:19 PM »
Brad speaks the truth....

Stretch to buy the greatest capability/capacity in a mill you can afford.  Otherwise you have an option, use support equipment to handle logs and cants or use your back.  I know which one I'd choose.....
Woodmizer LT35HD25, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2019, 09:19:35 PM »
Depends on how much you going to use the mill.
I go in the woods,cut down a tree,cut it to length,bring it to the sawmill,saw it into lumber,put what I need on to the loader arms of the tractor,the rest gets stickered,bring tractor over to where I am building,build with whatever I have on loader arms,when done, go back into woods to get another log and start all over again. Most of you hyd guys saw in a week,takes me a year to saw. I'm a slow builder. ;D  Than I would of gone with hyds. But I wanted a mill that I have moveable bunks,I can cut a 20 foot log,and I levered my mill only once,when I set it up about 10 years ago. I have turned some big ones on that mill and made it shake a few times.
If I was using a mill a lot and wanted some production and wanted to make money,hyds all the way. Hobby mill,manual all the way.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline sideburnz

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2019, 08:41:12 AM »
Depends on how much you going to use the mill.
I go in the woods,cut down a tree,cut it to length,bring it to the sawmill,saw it into lumber,put what I need on to the loader arms of the tractor,the rest gets stickered,bring tractor over to where I am building,build with whatever I have on loader arms,when done, go back into woods to get another log and start all over again. Most of you hyd guys saw in a week,takes me a year to saw. I'm a slow builder. ;D  Than I would of gone with hyds. But I wanted a mill that I have moveable bunks,I can cut a 20 foot log,and I levered my mill only once,when I set it up about 10 years ago. I have turned some big ones on that mill and made it shake a few times.
If I was using a mill a lot and wanted some production and wanted to make money,hyds all the way. Hobby mill,manual all the way.
This makes a lot of sense to me, but maybe I'm just hearing what I want to hear.  Not looking for super high production, and I have enough flexibility in setup that I think I can do some things to make log handling a bit easier.
I had initially written off the used non-hydro LT40 I looked at because it was stretching the budget already, and I was crossing my fingers it was a hydraulic unit.  Now I'm thinking it might actually be a pretty darn good option anyhow.  In comparing with the LT15Start we would most likely buy new, I would gain the following for about $2k
21' cut length vs 11' cut length
24hp vs 14hp
electric power feed, and electric cut height adjustment
trailering ability
Hand cable winch operated log loading and turning.
Comes with about 30 blades
It's here locally right now- no delivery charge, no sales tax, no assembly.
I am thinking I could build a loading dock of sorts even with the deck of the mill to drop logs on with our tractor.  This way I wouldn't be dropping logs directly on the mill, and they would just have to be moved sideways instead of lifted onto the mill.

Offline tacks Y

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2019, 09:08:00 AM »
Sideburnz, I just saw a sale on WM. LT15 6k, LT35G25 16.5k  the 35 is non hydraulic so close to the one you are looking at. Plus tax from dealer, if in a year you hang it up the 40 will give you your money back if bought right. Good luck, they do have the 35 hyd for 22.5K or LT40 26.8k also.

Offline Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2019, 09:47:30 AM »
A used hydraulic 35 would be a very good compromise on price and capacity.  They are a very good mill, and no mine is NOT for sale.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2019, 10:19:25 AM »
Sideburnz, Wood-Mizer sells the manual LT40 with different options, the best of which they called the "Logdeck Package". Basically this was all the options of a hydraulic mill operated manually. Loading arms and log turner are operated with a manual winch and toe boards are also operated manually. This option is a bit slow but also very much a back saver. If the manual LT40 you're looking at has this option it would be a sweet deal. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Offline richhiway

• Rich
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2019, 12:40:41 PM »
I recently purchased a used LT 40 with a manual log deck. It is extra work but if you are not sawing for production or others it's fine. 

Check my posts there are some videos of it.

It has the manual log turner, it works very good for large logs, it's faster to turn small ones by hand. 
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws

Offline 47sawdust

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2019, 05:28:24 PM »
sideburnz,
I think that is a fine mill.You could be sawing wood in no time.I paid 8k for my 97 Lt30 in 2010,it had 300 hours on it.I have since added a lot of hyd.functions.
For 8k you could run it to see if sawing was for you and sell it for what you paid if you wanted to upgrade or felt you didn't enjoy the sawing process.
Welcome and good luck.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2019, 08:55:54 PM »
 Iíve ran 2 marathons and the Hood to Coast relay 3 times,
Just catchin up, Soo, on the Hood to Coast relay, did you happen to see a kid in gold lame? If you do it again, introduce yourself to my nephew :).
A laborer works with his hands
A craftsman uses his brain and his hands
An artist uses his brain, his hands, and his heart

Offline Crossroads

• letís make some sawdust
    • Share Post
    • Kevin Bales faith family farm and portable sawmill
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2019, 01:37:52 AM »
Iíve ran 2 marathons and the Hood to Coast relay 3 times,
Just catchin up, Soo, on the Hood to Coast relay, did you happen to see a kid in gold lame? If you do it again, introduce yourself to my nephew :).
Lol, the last time I ran H2C was in 2008. Itís a pretty big event, at the time I believe it was limited to 12,000 runners, but some of the costume stand out for sure lol i donít have a corporate sponsor anymore, so Iíve probably run my last H2C relay. It was fun though
2017 LT40 wide, Kubota l185dt, 2-036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins

Offline sideburnz

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2019, 06:54:52 AM »
After a weekends worth of hemming and hawing I called early yesterday morning to commit to that used LT40.  Unfortunately it was already gone.   You snooze you lose I guess.  

The guy selling it is getting a new hydro LT40, so I'm going to head over and help him move boards and see what I can learn.  Missed out on the mill, but made a new friend so it's not all bad.

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2019, 09:38:25 AM »
One option seldom mentioned is buy a manual mill, use it for a while, then buy the parts and pieces to add hydraulics. Do-able but not really practical. Better to trade up. I went that route, but with home-made hydraulics on my old wm lt40. In daily use for several years, no complaints.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Offline Woodpecker52

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2019, 10:20:19 AM »
I run a lt15 start with 14hp and have never been underpowered on cutting anything oak, pine, or cypress or even steel log stop!  I just bought a used bed section and now it will cut 14' no trouble.  I fitted mine with power feed for the @#$##@ of it to see if I could do it but with a good blade it really is easy to push the head.  As far as turning a log on the bed I thought about building a log turner but I have cant hook large and small and just a few squirts of ATF on the bunks and a log turns no sweat so I think a turner is off the drawing board.  One thing that is needed is rollers on the stops.  It does great for what I got it for my own use and not production or business.  It is perfect for my pocketbook and making the wife happy.  The log holders are simple to use and I made a bunch using old pony clamps, the screw tops hold great and the bottom slides hold the cant and keep them from sliding on the bed. I think I paid 6K from dealer new no shi

pping.  I am impressed by woodmizer though I would change a few things Which I will do eventually.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900

Offline Woodpecker52

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2019, 10:23:13 AM »

added clamps and rollers

Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900

Offline rjwoelk

• Share Post
    • countrysidefirewood
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2019, 10:27:08 AM »
I see you have chain drive . Got a good pic of how that is set up.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Offline Woodpecker52

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2019, 10:43:07 AM »
Dc Dayton 3/4hp with ac to dc converter and speed control Ebay $240, gear reducer I had, 4, 17 tooth idlers 1, 24 tooth fixed sprocket, 3/4 in shaft and two pillow blocks some pulleys # 40 roller chain and free time, started with ac motor that I would start forward and reverse but thermal protectors did not like this cycle.  At that time I had the ends of the chains connected to the head pins.  I finally figured out that you really only need to catch a ride on the chain like a cable car does so I just let the chain continually run in a channel beneath the head and engage a fixed sprocket to pull ahead and when finished with the  cut disengage and pull head back by hand (faster).  Have a on off switch on head and kill switches at each end.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Trying out different sawmills

Started by boatman on Sawmills and Milling

27 Replies
Last post November 16, 2009, 09:50:10 AM
by woodsteach
xx
What sawmills are for

Started by Darrel on General Board

11 Replies
Last post December 20, 2016, 09:16:27 AM
by Darrel