iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poulan pro won't start questions

Started by Jim_Rogers, January 03, 2019, 12:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Over the weekend, a customer gave this saw to me.
He said he got it from his brother who used it once or twice and left gas in it over the winter. In the spring it would not start.

I put fresh gas in it, and checked the spark plug and it seems to be making a spark.
But it won't start.
I was thinking about taking it to a repair shop and see if they could fix it.
I'm not sure if it's worth it or not.

What do you think? is a new carburetor worth it? do they even rebuild these carburetors?

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

sawguy21

Squirt some fresh gas down the carb throat and see if it will fire, it probably will. A carb kit and new fuel and impulse lines plus in tank filter will probably smarten it up. At current shop rates that one is not worth having them doing it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Southside

For the cost of a couple fuel lines and a can of cleaner you might be able to do it yourself.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

lxskllr

If it was really only used a couple times, it might be worth fixing yourself. Mine is the older model, the plain old 4218. It has so many little problems as well as possibly major ones, it isn't worth fixing. I'd start with gas in the carb as already stated. See what happens. It might just start running right. I stored mine with corn gas, and though it was sometimes cranky after sitting awhile, it would straighten out after running a bit. I personally wouldn't change any other hardware than fuel lines/filters. It's a $130 saw. It doesn't take too many $10 parts to get close enough to just buying another one.

Thank You Sponsors!