The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Jack Sorbon Timber Frame Project (Modification)  (Read 1626 times)

Offline CJ

• I'm new and green!
    • Share Post
Re: Jack Sobon Timber Frame Project (Modification)
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2019, 07:36:10 AM »
 Dually noted. I have those set pins for my framing square, but have never used them. I could also just buy a Construction Pro calculator that has all the functions on it to do the calculations, but these calculators are a bit pricey.  
Those of you who say you use Sketchup, do you have the free version of it or did you actually pay for the software. I watched how it works on line yesterday and thought that I would try the free version of it. However, the free version seems a bit difficult to use, as it only has a few of the available functions available to allow you to do certain tasks. I am pretty tech savvy, but trying this free software application was a bit tedious. I was very impressed with the product overall after having watched the tutorials.

Offline flyingparks

• Full Member x2
  • If my dog doesn't like you, I don't like you.
    • Share Post
Re: Jack Sorbon Timber Frame Project (Modification)
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2019, 09:09:58 AM »
Free version of sketcup is great. Watch the official sketchup tutorials...in order. It does not work like other drafting software. It can get really frustrating if you try to teach yourself...but it is a wonderful program.

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2019, 07:31:24 PM »
I use the free version too, I'm stuck at the 2016 version, that's as modern as my graphics card can handle. It does everything I need. I got Sketchup for dummies and it helped me get going.

One trick with square nuts, set the square with the marks you want in line with the edge of the board where you want them to be. Then while holding the square there, slide the nuts on till they hit the board and are bedded on the square and tighten. They may not be quite on the marks depending on the angles you are setting up but they are holding the square on the marks. To avoid pencil thickness accumulated error when stepping off I use a knife to scribe my marks on the wood. Be careful, a knife can hop up on the square and take the side of your thumb off in a heartbeat.
A laborer works with his hands
A craftsman uses his brain and his hands
An artist uses his brain, his hands, and his heart

Offline curved-wood

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2019, 08:30:51 PM »
Well,  if you have a lot of fun to play around with software there is quite a few out there and the number are growing : revit, auto cad, solidworks, etc . I like to built in curve  ( see some of my constructions  at : claudedrolet.com ) so Sketchup is a bit limited for my use. But I know quite a few people that are well satisfied with it.  I use more complex software and the learning curve goes with it. So for a square building, straight line that is, I am much faster to use a scale drawing on the standard 1/4 '' graph paper than trying to learn the steps of a new software. I will get all the info I want,  providing you have a little bit of math knowledge. But when I am dealing with curved roof or even just a curved door, the software will give me a precision that will take me hours to calculate. My point is that if you are a tech passionate go for it,  but just don't forget that a simple graph paper with a scale drawing could do a very good job specially with a structure like yours. Choose your way and have fun

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2019, 11:34:42 PM »
FYI it's "Sobon", pronounced So-bun.  Not Sorbon.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Offline CJ

• I'm new and green!
    • Share Post
Starting On My Own
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2019, 08:37:10 AM »
   Well, it's a Saturday morning in late February in Northern Ontario with tons of snow on the ground and lousy weather on the way, and also, it's the third day after I have officially started on my 14' X 18' timber frame bunkie that I have 'scheduled' to be completed by the end of April or early May(God willing), and I am doing the entire project on my own. This particular build is outlined in Jack Sobon's 'Timber Frame' book. I have just opted to up the size from the designed 12'X16' by two feet larger.
 So, right off the bat, I have started on cutting my braces which are 3"X5" (rough cut) and as I am going along I find that the dimension of the wood is either bang on, a 1/4" over on the 3" size, or under 4 7/8" on the 5". And how will this affect the fitting in the mortise pockets? I am perplexed at this time, because I have no one to lean on as to what I should do? Should I find a planer (tight budget) and have the oversized pieces shaved down to actual? And for the undersized timber, should I ask the mill to replace it with the right size? Three days into the build and here I am with a dilemma. I'm questioning this build already. What potentially seemed like a good idea at the time, realistically I may have bitten off more than I can chew taking this on myself. So I'm reaching out to the community to provide some well experienced advice on how to proceed? Am I making too much of this? What's going to happen as I get further into the build?
 Most of my timbers are rough cut, with the exception of the posts, tie beams, sills and top plates that I have opted to have D2S to eliminate out of square issues to deal with which should help me time wise.
 One last thing, the wood is extremely wet. As I am doing all this work, will this wood twist or warp on me before I get it completed? I sure hope not!! Thank you for any advice you can provide this newbie with. - Cheers!

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2019, 02:40:05 PM »
For too thick braces, I spoke shave down to dimension, just at the joint. A little undersized on the other dimension shouldn't be an issue, the mortise is wider than the ideal dimension to allow for variations in timber sizes, so a little more gap won't be noticeable. The braces on that frame are 4"x6".
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"Logrite!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter