iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Questions for a Linn Sawmill build  (Read 2377 times)

Offline charles mann

• Share Post
Re: Questions for a Linn Sawmill build
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2019, 08:07:15 PM »
                charles mann... I read your building a mega sawmill... this guy on youtube (Matthew Cremona)...he used cook's 26'' wheels and also built a mega bandsaw... building his in the winter time...
yes sir. i bought his plans. my problem is, my power plant is WAY to much pwr and stupid heavy. i was going to go full hydraulic, but after listening to the guys here, i changed back to conventional, but only after buying a 100hp cummins diesel. 700lbs of motor, and i think that is wet weight, but not including the radiator and fuel cell. I'm going to put my cell on the lower side and back of my carriage. plus humping several 5gal jerry cans of diesel 4-5' in the air to fuel up, isn't my thoughts of a good time. my tractor is back enough, fill neck is about 4' high, but at least i can climb on my lift arms to get above the neck. i guess i could use a ladder for fueling, but ill cross that bridge when i get there. 

@Vautour 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Offline Vautour

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2019, 08:48:12 PM »
............ Charles mann... yeah that would be heavy for sure.... my plans are a lightweight car engine i've got two Toyota echo (they are about 50hp) very cheap on fuel and very quiet... I've pounded steel all my life and now my brain rattle with noise ...I wanna hear the blade go thru the log is my goal....no diesel for me.. too noisey and I can't stand the fumes...going 24 volt (might go fully hydraulic later) .
the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

Offline charles mann

• Share Post
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2019, 08:54:08 PM »
............ Charles mann... yeah that would be heavy for sure.... my plans are a lightweight car engine i've got two Toyota echo (they are about 50hp) very cheap on fuel and very quiet... I've pounded steel all my life and now my brain rattle with noise ...I wanna hear the blade go thru the log is my goal....no diesel for me.. too noisey and I can't stand the fumes...going 24 volt (might go fully hydraulic later) .
i love the smell or jet a or diesel, in the morning, afternoon, and anytime in between. plus i can't hear anyhow. 6 yrs in artillery, and the last 15 as a heavy heli mech, listening to turbine engines scream has pretty much deaf. I'm not worried about the rattling in my head, i found out yrs ago, it was just my marbles.  ;D
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Offline foamnone

• Howdy!
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2019, 09:49:38 PM »
Thats boring.... :)
I know! It just makes more sense to use 2 70 inch tubes for the saw frame rather than rigging up extensions for my current 60 inch ones. I need to make forward progress before I get yanked off on another project

Online Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2019, 10:49:26 AM »
I understand that. When I was in the middle of my sawmill build my snowmobile decided to fall apart. So I had to stop and fix that. Seems like there are always small projects getting in the way of the big fun ones.

Just be careful you don't get burned out on the project and start doing quick patches just to get it done. I took a couple months off from building because that was starting to happen. Now I just keep working on it when I have time. Worked out well and I did not build a bunch of stuff I would regret later.

Online Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2019, 10:51:54 AM »
vatour, I have an old straight 6 4.0 liter out of a jeep wrangler that I thought about turning into a generator that attaches to the sawmill for towing. Then when I get onsite pull the engine away from the sawmill and park it 20' away. Use an electric motor on the sawmill.

When at home I could just plug it in and not have the noise of the engine. That is a dream though. I would love to have all electric. and silent. Just like my snowmobile, if I could get 300 miles out of an electric sled I would do it in a heartbeat.

Offline Vautour

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2019, 03:31:34 PM »
         Charles mann... quite an impressive background..(hats off for your services) i like to study the history of America(and past history like 3 thousand years ago)... remember the ALAMO :rifle:......Crasarius ... those jeep 4.0 were not known for fuel economy... my echo engine would be running at 1500RPM for my high speed which should still be as fuel efficient as anything out there running at 2500-3000RPM... IMHO..
the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

Online Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2019, 04:20:43 PM »
not the best for economy. your right. but hard to beat them for torque.

Offline foamnone

• Howdy!
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2019, 08:47:04 PM »
I built a trailer for spray foam that carried a 50 kw diesel generator. Ran great for 10 years for my business. I loved it but also made enough money to need it.

My wife asked for a raised flower bed (last year) told her I needed to build a sawmill to get the wood. 

So far Ive purchased the basic mill kit, 1 stick of 2x2 angle and a piece of 3x3 tube.... so Im up to $100 in metal.

I still need to buy track wheels, raise lower screws and the long pieces for the track. 

Online Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2019, 09:31:36 AM »
I used acme threaded rods on my build and not sure it was the right thing to do. I keep wondering if a cable or chain setup would have been better.the acme rods seem to have alot of resistance and when raising 200 pounds of sawframe it take about 15 amps. and takes forever. coming down is great but going up stinks. Almost wonder if using a winch motor with brake to a jackshaft and using roller chain on all of it. double roller chain on everything so you never have to worry about a failure. not that roller chain would ever break.

or I need to find time to try the garage door spring idea and see if it helps.

Offline foamnone

• Howdy!
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2019, 08:35:19 AM »
Is it too heavy for the size motor you have? Are you using 12 or 24v?

Online Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2019, 09:09:07 AM »
using 12 volt wheelchair motor. when I first set it up it worked better than it does now. I made the mistake of lubing the rods. now I can't seem to get them clean. plus the sawframe being so unbalanced does not help. I have plans to fix all of that but other things are more important at the moment.

I will probably redesign the entire head to balance the full assembly to make up alot easier.

Offline Vautour

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2019, 01:21:18 PM »
               Crusarius..... I've been pondering this raising and lowering application for the last year....Here's my conclusion... acme rods.. nope...... too slow and requires losta moving parts and would have to be built outside my carrige top frame(and most sawmill stop using this method).. I like everthing concealed inside my carriage.. Cables..?.. almost.. was afraid the    cables would jump and start twisting the head and start binding   ...Chains..?.. YES..one chain on each side attached to the jackshaft turned by my combo24volt DC motor/gearbox.. and definitely gonna put a overhead door  spring on the jackshaft...bought all the sprockets this week and should have photos in a few weeks...

Online Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2019, 06:17:32 PM »
That sounds awesome. now can you find a torsion spring that will work. use a torsion spring on the jackshaft and you get the best overall package.

Offline foamnone

• Howdy!
    • Share Post
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2019, 12:07:41 AM »
What rpm electric motor is common on a sawmill? My logic (has gotten me into trouble) is a low rpm 1800 for tourque at low end. 

Offline Kwill

• Cedar cutter
    • Share Post
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2019, 02:10:58 PM »
using 12 volt wheelchair motor. when I first set it up it worked better than it does now. I made the mistake of lubing the rods. now I can't seem to get them clean. plus the sawframe being so unbalanced does not help. I have plans to fix all of that but other things are more important at the moment.

I will probably redesign the entire head to balance the full assembly to make up alot easier.
I switched from cable to acme and aint real impressed either. I just have a hand crank on it but it takes a little more effort than i would like to go up. What did you lube yours with? I try and keep the sawdust out of mine as much as i can. Some of my issues was the saw feame sliders binding. I made a piece with a bearing on the front and back that levels out the saw frame and allows it just go up level now without binding. I havent got a chance to try it out yet.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Online Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2019, 02:38:55 PM »
I used chain lube. Helped while I was building it. at least a tiny bit but after I introduced sawdust it was less beneficial.

I will probably attempt a garage door spring to make it go up easier. down is perfect. If that doesn't work then may go the roller chain and jackshaft route. 

Saw a pretty nifty idea on youtube, someone welded a pair of vice grips to their mast and used that for a lock. Probably won't be necessary but be nice piece of mind.

Offline bwstout

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2019, 07:50:40 AM »
I used the aceme rods and have a wheel chair motor on 24 volts and mine goes up quickly I used chain and sprockets to set the speed.  Have use it for a couple of years now. My mill is a 2 post the motor hangs off the back but still seems to work ok. I used Teflon to line the sliderly things ;D so I have less friction. But I think if I were to do it again I would go to the chain and gear box.
home built mill

Online Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2019, 11:01:05 AM »
bwstout, by chain and gearbox you mean for lifting right? My wheelchair motor has a gearbox on it and I put s sprocket straight on that.

I am guessing you mean jackshaft and chain for lifting?

Offline bwstout

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2019, 12:41:06 PM »
yes sir
home built mill

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Crusarius sawmill build - started with Linn Lumber basic kit

Started by Crusarius on Sawmills and Milling

325 Replies
Last post December 03, 2018, 02:26:48 PM
by Crusarius
xx
questions on my sawmill build

Started by larrydown60 on Sawmills and Milling

15 Replies
Last post September 13, 2015, 04:12:01 PM
by Ox