The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Bridge Build - first project on the mill  (Read 1274 times)

Offline nybhh

• Share Post
Bridge Build - first project on the mill
« on: January 10, 2019, 04:49:13 PM »
I built this last spring just after getting my mill but was looking through pics on my phone the other day and am bored today so figured I would post.

This was the first "large" log I had on the mill, eastern white pine off our property. 16'-6" long, about 18" dia.  These logs were right at the edge of my loader limit.

10" x 10" beam from the previous log.  I ultimately milled 4 of these, and got 2 from one tree :)

2" x 8" bridge decking on the top.  Leftover 1x6" on the bottom.  Pallet ideas ripped off from others on the forum.

8% Copper Naphthenate diluted 4:1 in diesel. Ordered from Poles, Inc. recommended from another user on these forums.   Note to self, don't use these stickers on anything else "clear"! That's Mrs NYBHH lending a helping hand and I really have no idea why that paddle is laying there  ???

and a brown oil-based stain to cover up the ugly green!

12" x 12" x 8' concrete piers.  These were poured at the house in some old 2x12s I had laying around.  3 pieces of scrap rebar in the bottom of each on 2" chairs and the rebar was bent up to form the loops so I could hang these off my loader to move them in place.  Stacked stones from the middle of the creek to form the riprap and to deepen it a bit.

This is also how I load logs on the mill, much easier to be nice and gentle this way.

First timber going into place.  I was able to get one end of the timber on the 2x12 and then scoot it into place with the loader and then slide it off the side of the 2x12 by hand.  I have to admit I was scratching my head for a few days trying to figure out how to get these things laid out this way across the creek.

All 4 in place, chainsawed off the ends and added more coats of Copper Naphthenate.  3 coats total on all 6 sides and 2 additional coats on the top, all rolled on with a roller.  Right at 5-gallons of 2% solution total. 

Tapconed the timbers to the concrete piers as a little extra insurance to keep everything anchored.  Useless in a flood but should prevent them moving due to vibration.

First test!  Actually just building the gravel ramps.  This thing is WAY over-designed for that tractor and will support the largest excavator the local rental place has.

And the finished bridge!  We call it Kicks Crossing.  After about 6-8 months, the green from the Copper Naphthenate has completely faded and you wouldn't know it was ever treated but it is still working (i hope).  This is how I access the back 3/4 of our property and this has made carrying logs and other equipment across the stream on the tractor much easier and less precarious, not to mention walking.  This is one of those projects that feels really nice to complete - it isn't everyday you get to build a bridge!

Woodmizer LT15 Start, Kubota L3800, Stihl MS261

Offline Old Greenhorn

• An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
Re: Bridge Build - first project on the mill
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 05:01:04 PM »
I have visited this bridge and can attest that it is every bit as pretty and solid in real life as it looks in the photos. Brandon does beautiful work, and he is neat too!
Can You help out the Coleman Veterans Memorial by chipping in a few bucks? Go here for the full story: Can you help this year? in General Board

I ain't the woodcutter, but I can cut wood 'til the woodcutter gets here.

Online Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 05:34:34 PM »
Nice work👍
thomas 8013 mill ,Mahindra 3540 cab tractor loader  Dump trailer  and lot of contracting tools

Offline Old Greenhorn

• An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 05:46:48 PM »
hey @nybhh where did you find those little angle brackets? I think they might be helpful for a little will mod I have in mind for the spring. Are they plain steel, or plated? Looking for unplated.
Can You help out the Coleman Veterans Memorial by chipping in a few bucks? Go here for the full story: Can you help this year? in General Board

I ain't the woodcutter, but I can cut wood 'til the woodcutter gets here.

Offline nybhh

• Share Post
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 05:53:17 PM »
hey @nybhh where did you find those little angle brackets? I think they might be helpful for a little will mod I have in mind for the spring. Are they plain steel, or plated? Looking for unplated.
Those are Simpson Stong-Tie stuff from Home Depot - deck fasteners section.  They are galvanized and actually a little bigger than they look in the photos, 3" or 4" legs I believe.  And thank you for the kind words!

Offline Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 06:15:15 PM »
I like it.  Just curious since I have to build a bride as well, how much weight will that bridge support?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline nybhh

• Share Post
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 06:42:13 PM »
Im not an engineer so YMMV but I did run some beam calcs.  I dont have the final spreadsheet that I used anymore but I recall EACH 10x10 beam in ewp with a 16ft floating span (not anchored at the ends) will stay under L/240 deflection with a 5,000 point load in the middle.  That is dried but you will never see that type of point load and the spread out deflection was a lot less.  There were some other sheer cals and stuff too but the deflection criteria was the most limiting as I recall.  My span also ended up at 14-6 between the piers.

I did run it by an engineer buddy and he said it would be fine with a 15,000 lb excavator with a healthy safety margin as long as it wasnt rotted.

Offline Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 06:45:57 PM »
Fair enough,  I don't plan on a bridge that will hold my 48,000 lb buncher, but if I can get the dually across it or run the cows over the bridge rather than through the creek it will be well worth it.  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger

Offline Kwill

• Cedar cutter
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 10:54:30 PM »
That's a nice bridge. So you angle brackets are holding the 10x10 to the piers?
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Offline nybhh

• Share Post
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 11:25:17 PM »
Thank you Kwill.  Yea, gravity is doing most of the holding but I wanted a mechanical connection between everything just to prevent any movement over time due to vibration or to MAYBE help keep everything in place in a flood.  The bottom of the timbers are almost a foot higher than Ive ever seen the creek and I suspect if the water ever got that high, it would be moving fast enough to disloge the entire 7,000 lb structure but they certainly wont hurt anything and are some cheap insurance. 

Offline doc henderson

• Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 12:01:53 AM »
nice job and very handy.  I did not know an individual could get the green stuff.  cool.  2 summers ago, we rebuilt the bridge to rifle and archery at BSA summer camp. They had a 20 foot bridge, and you had to go down 7 feet and up 14 on the other side.  more of an adult leader service project, but increased it to 36 feet and did approaches much like yours.  made it 6 feet across with a beam in the center to brace.   at Camp Alexander,  now can take 4 wheelers across it and saves about 1/2 mile if you have to walk around.  No saw mill used, but we talked about it since they had a big fire there about 4 years ago.

I am the camping coordinator for Troop 1 !.  We always do a service project.  Over 650 eagle scouts over the past 100 years.  I am 3rd from the right, and Ranger Tom my buddy is on the far right.  My son William is 8th from the left..The area is always muddy and moving water when it rains up the hill and in the mountains.

Offline nybhh

• Share Post
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 12:12:29 AM »
Nice bridge Doc and beautiful land!  Love the handrails.  

I thought about adding handrails and my wife wanted benches along the side but since I carry logs across it and like to like to keep my loader as low as possible for safety reasons, I figured Id just come barreling through one day and take out anything vertical with a big 1000 lb log😂.

I may add a curb at some point to make driving off slightly more difficult though.  

As for the green stuff, all above board but there was some some limitations to what they could ship here based on labels and state approval.  If we can get it here, at least 48 other states should have no problems  ;)

Thanks for sharing, that bridge is sweet!  

Offline doc henderson

• Share Post
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 01:14:16 AM »
I like it.  Just curious since I have to build a bride as well, how much weight will that bridge support?
ok southside.  Are you talking about his bridge or his wife?  you did say bride!  lol  .  I will not comment on the second half of your statement as it implies something to do with weight!!!  Just poken some fun. 

Offline doc henderson

• Share Post
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 01:18:38 AM »
nybhh.  I agree, I would not put a rail on yours either.  I like the idea of a curb.  It will let you know if you are getting too close to the edge, and strengthen the platform overall by tying the ends of the cross planking as well!

Offline Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2019, 11:40:20 PM »
Ok Doc - Why do I think you were not in Kansas any more when you took those photos?  As far as the bride goes - with Amazon Prime these days anything is just a click away.   :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger

Offline doc henderson

• Share Post
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2019, 01:43:11 AM »
Ok Doc - Why do I think you were not in Kansas any more when you took those photos?  As far as the bride goes - with Amazon Prime these days anything is just a click away.   :D

You are correct. Near Colorado springs near 11 mile canyon.  It is nice when you are ready to go home, you just have to click your heels!!! :D

Online thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2019, 07:33:11 AM »
Nice job on the bridges FF members.
I do not have a stream to cross,just a bog that needs some more attention with some rocks.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Sixacresand

• Senior Member x2
  • John and Nancy
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2019, 08:12:09 AM »
Nice bridges, nybhh and Doc.  I know both were a lot of work.     

Offline mitchstockdale

• Share Post
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2019, 09:25:48 AM »
Wow thats some nice lumber great work on the bridge.
Do today what others wont, so you can do tomorrow what others cant.

Kubota MX5200 / Woodland Mills HM126 / Stihl MS361

Offline Sixacresand

• Senior Member x2
  • John and Nancy
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2019, 09:08:38 AM »
I can only guess that the environmental agencies would favor bridges instead of culverts.  Were permits required before building the bridges?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Log bridge project

Started by KGNC on General Board

9 Replies
Last post November 11, 2009, 06:25:04 PM
by pappy19
xx
bridge project

Started by backwoods sawyer on Timber Framing/Log construction

7 Replies
Last post November 09, 2014, 07:39:33 AM
by Peter Drouin
xx
Sawmill project first major part for the build.

Started by Gundog on Sawmills and Milling

16 Replies
Last post December 13, 2016, 05:42:36 AM
by kelLOGg
xx
Getting ready to build a small milling project in the Spring

Started by Old Wood Whacker on Sawmills and Milling

11 Replies
Last post December 09, 2013, 09:19:38 AM
by dboyt