The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: You know what they say about assumptions ...  (Read 1404 times)

Offline kiko

• Share Post
Re: You know what they say about assumptions ...
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2019, 02:02:46 PM »
Nativewolf, Barbender may be able to help with the reasons CTL has not been able to catch on in the south.  I just deal with the Machinery so any opinions I have on logging are from the outside looking in.  I can says no one has ever survived a CTL operation here for long.  People that beat down a Tigercat skidder in 2 or 3 years would be able to demolish a harvester in a few weeks.

Offline Skeans1

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2019, 05:30:45 PM »
The reason we do it out here like that is we pile the brush in one location, CTL doesnt work for that.

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2019, 05:37:34 PM »
Nativewolf, Barbender may be able to help with the reasons CTL has not been able to catch on in the south.  I just deal with the Machinery so any opinions I have on logging are from the outside looking in.  I can says no one has ever survived a CTL operation here for long.  People that beat down a Tigercat skidder in 2 or 3 years would be able to demolish a harvester in a few weeks.
Ha, yes we have exchanged thoughts on the human capital that is required to trash a tigercat skidder in 24 months.  I'm recruiting from outside the industry and may bring in a hired hand from the great NW, NE, or Midwest.  We'll see how they are doing in Alabama on Thursday and I'll be sure to post some pictures.  These guys are owner operators though and old hands at that.  
Liking Walnut

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2019, 05:40:09 PM »
The reason we do it out here like that is we pile the brush in one location, CTL doesnt work for that.
Because you don't want to plant through brush?  All hand replanting improved DF?  I'm looking to put tops under tracks and paths.  Then again we are not cutting conifers.  If the limbs are small saw logs we'll take them out.  Right now I can take pulp and and it pays the costs of doing so but it is a wash.  Brush we want to leave behind on site.  In fact, a brush pile is one way to keep deer from browsing saplings to death.
Liking Walnut

Offline kiko

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2019, 07:33:10 PM »
I think I know Kirk, worked for Deck for a while.  

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2019, 08:14:25 PM »
I think I know Kirk, worked for Deck for a while.  
Hey come over towards Montgomery and we can get lunch and you can see them working.  
Liking Walnut

Offline kiko

• Share Post
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2019, 08:41:52 PM »
Just three hours for me.  What time are expecting you/us?

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2019, 09:04:08 PM »
I was just telling Jake (that ran Ponsse down there) about all this, he thought it was pretty cool you were going to check out their operation, Nativewolf! Yes Kiko, Kirk worked for Deck, he sounds like a very interesting individual! Jake told me there were times when he was riding with Kirk in the harvester, Kirk would grab on to a big hardwood and start falling it, only to exclaim, "She's coming back, she's coming back!!" and then BAM! you would have a red oak on top of the cab!😂😂 He had a reputation for being very hard on the lightbars on top of the cab😂 So you can rest assured that the team you are going to look at has likely seen some torture testing, Nativewolf!
Too many irons in the fire

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2019, 09:10:49 PM »
@kiko we're going to drive down Wednesday and then have dinner.  Thursday we'll be with them all day, half day on Friday.  We will be as close to Rockford as we can stay.  Send me a PM with your contact # and I'll txt you once I figure out where we are staying, still need to get hotel rooms.  
Liking Walnut

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2019, 09:22:18 PM »
I was just telling Jake (that ran Ponsse down there) about all this, he thought it was pretty cool you were going to check out their operation, Nativewolf! Yes Kiko, Kirk worked for Deck, he sounds like a very interesting individual! Jake told me there were times when he was riding with Kirk in the harvester, Kirk would grab on to a big hardwood and start falling it, only to exclaim, "She's coming back, she's coming back!!" and then BAM! you would have a red oak on top of the cab!😂😂 He had a reputation for being very hard on the lightbars on top of the cab😂 So you can rest assured that the team you are going to look at has likely seen some torture testing, Nativewolf!
His brother said they tried ctl several times and had to stop because the wheeled machines were not big enough.  He says the h8hd head is big enough, barely, for 80% of the trees they harvest.  So we'll see, hope they have a good spot to eat.  
Liking Walnut

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2019, 09:31:57 PM »
Maybe next month I'll fly out West and see @Skeans1 and the western logging operations.  Shovel, yarding, CTL.  Lots going on out there.  
Liking Walnut

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2019, 06:15:11 AM »
Good for you! I would love to see such operations, maybe one day!
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Offline Skeans1

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2019, 06:49:31 AM »
Im not too far out from PDX

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2019, 09:17:25 AM »
If youre passing through tennessee, the longest lasting "big" mechanized logger i know of in this area is FNT, floyd turner.  I think his dad started with horses and he did too, probably in his 60s now.  Gets the biggest cutting contracts in our area from the mega millsy and employs the most drivers from what i can gather.  Ive never met him but stopped at the shop a few times and chatted with employees and know a few guys who worked there. His shop is on marrietta ave in crossville.  Ive heard norris bros also was or is CTL but dont know.  I think our forest and dirt matches yours pretty well tho short of the walnut. 

Its a larger blend of hardwood here other than planted stands.  As you go south into the N Ga foothills it definitely switches to a higher concentration of dense pine mixed in with oak and poplar.  All straight as an arrow, tiny and bunched as tight as can be.  I see no money when i look at it, from a hand fallers perspective.  A lotta steep road building and hauling for pulp. 
Revelation 3:20

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter