The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: Anyone here build their own wood boiler?  (Read 356 times)

Offline spdjnky_42

• Member*
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Anyone here build their own wood boiler?
« on: January 16, 2019, 12:38:47 AM »
I am in the process of building a 4 seasons room on my house. I also live on a steep hill, and the neighborhood limits me to how many out buildings I can have. I am building a large fireplace in the 4 seasons room, and Id like to incorporate a snow melt system in half my driveway. From the research Ive done I need around 300k BTU's, w/ 3/4" pex on 12" grid. I can fabricate and build most anything myself. Would I be able to build a stainless housing (upside down U) as the inside of my fireplace (3' tall, 2' deep, 3' wide, that can hold approx 200 gallons of water and have the wood fireplace heat it when needed to melt snow? Appears the only way I can hide the system, and kill two birds with one stone. Thoughts?

Offline Vautour

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Anyone here build their own wood boiler?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 05:30:43 AM »
.....Hey..spdjnky   so you want to incorporate  and hide this system (insurance reasons right? ;) ;)) hey i'm all for this kinda thinking outside the box too.. I'm not sure how cold it get your way but we've had -15f a few nights this week(my diesel Jetta was not a happy camper smiley_furious)... correct me if I'm wrong but Fireplace's are made like the first models OWB and were not efficient at all (50%is what I've read).. they've got better over the years...I had a domestic wood heated hot water boiler (with similar dimension as your plans with door in one end and chimney the other "single pass") given to me and I installed it in my shed to heat my home.. took 4hrs to bring the temp. to 180 :(... out she went..so I installed my 3 pass boiler...15min later..180 thumbs-up... My opinion!! ..I see a losta work.. not sure it would produce enough heat... hope it helps your to decision..... my 2   

the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

Offline Gearbox

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 10:00:23 PM »
You will need to keep it hot . From what ever temp you start from it is going to rain in your fireplace until the water temp reaches about 145 . with a OWB we never let the temp get below 150 or they get wet on the inside of doors then drip . will smell up your house .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Offline E Yoder

• Full Member x2
  • Heating with a HeatMaster GS100
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 07:45:57 AM »
Snowmelt has the potential to pull the water temp down and condense as was mentioned. It's a huge load.
I'd think a fireplace would maybe put out a quarter of the btu's needed, while sucking air out of the house the whole time.
HeatMaster dealer support in VA.
GS100.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
could my wood boiler be hooked to the oil boiler backwards

Started by stumper on Firewood and Wood Heating

15 Replies
Last post February 08, 2019, 08:02:24 AM
by talldog
moved
MOVED: wood and coal boiler for sale, oil boiler for sale

Started by WDH on For Sale

0 Replies
Last post January 05, 2016, 08:31:40 PM
by WDH