The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Elm  (Read 838 times)

Offline TKehl

• Senior Member x2
  • Certified Contrarian
    • Share Post
    • Kehlhof Ranch
Re: Elm
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2019, 01:17:08 PM »
Same here about the little Elms.  They are prolific, yet so rarely get to a good size, that I have been cutting all the small American Elms out in the summer as goat fodder.  

I leave the Red Elms though.  I check a bit of the bark for layering before I cut.

Hackberry trees seem to do fine though...
"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him."  David Brinkley

Offline PA_Walnut

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2019, 06:27:37 AM »
Just a quick note about the powderpost beetle in air drying.  This is also called the ambrosia beetle and what they like best is to bore out of the lumber and go to the ground and mothers lay eggs in any wood debris on the ground.  So pick up all the debris to help control them.

Yes indeed! I put my air-dry stacks on 2B stone since critters don't seem to like stone bases like they do dirt. I regularly clean-up all the little pieces on the ground, move the entire inventory and get the leaf blower to it. Want to make the ground environment as hostile as the surface of the moon for those pests. :D

Also, started putting railroad ties down as bases too. (on top of the stone). Whatever they coat them with, seems to be akin to nuclear waste. 
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Baker Portable Edger with Kubota Diesel
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln

Offline GeneWengert-WoodDoc

• Senior Member x2
  • Author of "Sawing Hardwood Lumber"
    • Share Post
    • Book on Sawing hardwood Lumber
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2019, 03:42:15 PM »
  1. Treated ties are excellent.  Most ties are replaced due to mechanical damage, so most used ties have lots of preservative.
  2.  Untreated ties, 6x6s, 4x4s, etc, used in air drying should always go into the kiln, which sterilizes them.  Reusing without sterilizing is dangerous indeed.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter