iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Haul Road Heroes and SuperTrucker Shenanigans  (Read 5850 times)

Online rjwoelk

• Share Post
    • countrysidefirewood
Re: Haul Road Heroes and SuperTrucker Shenanigans
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2019, 08:22:41 AM »
Up here the tractor and trailer are inspected on a yearly bases.  The tractor may be twice. Not sure dont own my own. We pull 53 flat and 53 ft step..
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Offline Skip

• Saw hard or stay home.
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2019, 09:43:07 AM »
Mike I can tell you from experience ,it aint gonna end good ! RUN don't walk away . Its mind over matter .Your boss don't mind and you don't matter . Good Luck .

Offline Wudman

• Forester
  • Eat, drink, and be merry before you go on quota!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2019, 01:13:08 PM »
My story comes from our time of exporting logs.  We were loading shipping containers in the woods.  Getting an over the road trucker off the highway can present some challenges.  Getting one to the woods can be another.  Put a little red clay under him and it can get downright exciting.

We were working a tract in Prince Edward County, VA just outside of the little community of Meherrin (birthplace of Roy Clark if you are an old county music fan).  I had provided a nice highway map with GPS coordinates to the trucking firm that was coordinating our trucking.  I had gone as far as turn by turn directions, which included one turn off a major 4 lane highway....travel 500 feet and turn into the tract.  We had signs at the highway entrance.  Communication from the dispatcher to the driver was not always the best.  Anyway, we developed a fleet of drivers that were decent after a time, but those early days were exciting. 

One morning, I was waiting on trucks.  The first few arrived and we got them loaded.  I had a doctors appointment in a nearby town and left.  On my way back to the tract, I met a truck and container headed north up US Highway 15.  He was 20 miles from our tract.  I thought that to be odd and wondered if he was looking for me.  I went back to the tract.  My phone rang about 20 minutes later.  It was a driver and he was lost.  I asked him where he was.  He was about a mile north of where I met him on 15.  I told him to sit still.  I will come and get you.  If he couldn't follow a map, he didn't have a prayer of my talking him back to us. 

I met him and led him back to the tract.  I had a turn around area that trucks could swing out and circle and then back into the loader.  There was adequate room to turn around.  The driver drives straight into the area and can't figure out how to get turned around. I motioned for him to back up and circle.  He didn't get it.  My loader operator got out of the loader and stood on the running board of the tractor to tell him how to get turned around.

I started talking with the kid as he was getting loaded.  He was 24 years old and this was his third day behind the wheel.  He had been living with his Grandfather.  His Grandfather was a lifetime driver and told the boy it was time for him to do something with his life and get to work.  Grandad had bought him an older cab over and put him to work. He called his girlfriend while I was there and told her he wasn't going to make anything on this job.  He thought that maybe trucking wasn't for him. He had burned all his fuel looking for us.  This was around noon and he was supposed to be on our job at 7:00 AM.  He had been riding around for about 4 hours.  Anyway, he asked me if there was anywhere he could get fuel.  He was about empty and didn't have fuel enough to get back to the truck stop.  I told him where to go.

Anyway, we got him loaded and I handed him his paperwork and sent him on his way.  One of my company drivers came in and asked me "who got the guard rail".  I drove out to the entrance.  There was a guard rail at the entrance to our road.  We had sent out over 1500 loads of wood without any problems.  This driver had cut the corner too short and peeled about 30 feet of guardrail up.  The end was stuck about 15 feet up in the air and rolled in a semi-circle.  I was surprised that he wasn't sitting there with busted tires or airlines pulled but he was gone.  The load made it to the port.  I never saw that driver again.  That export program opened my eyes to the people running up and down the highway these days.  There are some excellent operators on the road, but there are some guys that I don't want to be in the same zip code with. 

Wudman   

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2019, 01:18:42 PM »
No guard rails so far. Fingers crossed. 
Revelation 3:20

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2019, 02:07:44 PM »
No guard rails so far. Fingers crossed.
That you know of...
I've plowed many a snowy road / driveway in my day.  Few years ago, I had finished up a snow storm helping the town by running their loader.  It'd been a long day, I worked my regular job, drove home into a little snow.  Had a bit to eat got called in to do some of the back roads with my pickup.  The storm kept going, I got the call to go jump in the big Komatsu and pop the foil plow on and plow near the towns sand pit.  I did that, till dawn, then realized I had to get heading home, to take a quick nap and head to work.  I figured I'd plow one last little cul-de-sack.  If I plowed it, then the trucks would only need to wing it back, and treat it with some sand later.  We had a few storms and the snow banks on the end of the road were getting pretty tall.  I figured, I'm here, I'll push them back a little bit.  Well, I got going, and a little turned into a little more...  Next thing I know, I see something kinda shinny through the window, scratch my head a bit, look around, then remember this road has a guardrail running the first 250ft down one side!  I clean up around where the guardrail should be, yup, I got it.  Ripped one or two post out.  I'm pretty ok on a loader, soooo, I got it back to kinda strait, then on my last pass left a little snow wind row against the rail.  I told the roadagent that come spring they'd need a few posts, but that for now it was good and I needed a few hours of shut eye!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
1999 New Holland TC29

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2019, 05:03:30 PM »
Every so often a speed plow catches a guardrail and it's a quick trip backwards into the ditch. It would be an exciting ride. Wudman's story reminds of a guy who drove for one of my friends. He had a load of tires for Mackenzie, north of Prince George BC. The load didn't arrive on the scheduled day or the next, nobody knew where he was. No GPS or cell phones in those days. He finally called from Smithers, 200 miles west of PG, wanting to know how to find his destination!! He was so frazzled he couldn't find his way back to PG, there is only the road he came in on, so a driver came in a pickup to rescue the idiot. Needless to say that was his first and last trip for them. Where do they find these guys?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline Wudman

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2019, 05:20:22 PM »
Guardrail -- how about a light pole.  One of my contract crews had a driver they called "Shorty".  Shorty had earned his name.  He couldn't reach the pedals in the tractor and actually had extension blocks on everything so he could reach......and Shorty was still turning a wheel at 80 years old. 

A new pole had been set at the entrance to one of our roads.  They set a guy wire just out of the ditch line.  Coming into the highway, a truck had to cross over the center line before beginning to turn in order to clear that guy.  Shorty failed to do so.  The trailer wheels hung the guy and broke that pole completely off and damaged the cross arms on a pole in each direction.  Shorty was headed to the mill and had drug that one pole about 100 feet before he saw that something was following him.  Shorty retired thereafter.

I still have a couple of problems with the power company and new poles.  I have two tracts where they sat a pole on one side of the access road and anchored the guy on the other.  I'll have to see about having them moved before I can get back into them with a tractor trailer.  Such is life.

Wudman 

Offline Wudman

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2019, 05:27:41 PM »
One other event just popped to mind.  This was years ago.  I was travelling down the Downtown Expressway in Richmond, VA.  It was about daylight and still very little traffic on the road.  A 10 wheeler came down an onramp and merged in front of me.  He was about 1/4 mile ahead.  He had high sides on the truck and was loaded with used tires well above his sides.  As we approached an underpass I could see that he didn't have adequate clearance to get under it.  He peeled the top row of the stack off.  There were tires bouncing everywhere.  It would have made for a good video. 

Wudman

Offline Kwill

• Cedar cutter
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2019, 10:35:25 PM »
This is one of the best super trucker moments I have witnessed.11 ton gross bridge. He was way over weight before he was loaded. :D

Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2019, 01:16:51 AM »
I'm amazed by some of the people that manage to get a CDL. It's scary! I've got kind of a "Shorty" hauling for me right now, he can't hear very well, can't see very well either. I don't think he was probably a real swell driver before those impediments set in, either😂 But, I get him loaded and pointed towards the mill, and he always comes back😂
Too many irons in the fire

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2019, 08:09:07 AM »
 :o

Howd that story end?  What they fish the rig out with?

Was he haulin shelled corn?  The deer wont mind.

Offline Wudman

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2019, 09:13:29 AM »
And let's not forget the GPS......that thing didn't come from the same authority as the Ten Commandments.  I was out in the "boondocks" (old saying) one day and a container truck flagged me down.  He was going from the Amelia, VA area over to Cumberland, VA.  His "Professional Trucker GPS" had routed him this way.  The one problem was a single lane 3 ton bridge with a 9 foot overhead clearance crossing the Appomattox River (on a dirt road).  At least he didn't try to cross it.  I'll give him credit where due......he backed that truck for a mile and a half to get back to a cross roads where he could turn around.

A similar situation for one of my exports.  I had provided directions to access the tract from the west.  (My fault there.  I had "assumed" that all port traffic would be coming from the four lane.)  The driver was following his GPS and he had come cross country and was coming in from the east.....The only problem was a single lane 6 ton bridge 1/2 mile east of my entrance.  The driver told me he puckered a little bit, but came on across it. 

One of my friends owns a towing business here in town.  Over the last month, he has retrieved 2 FedEx drivers that were following their GPS.  They were both on the same CCC road that was obliterated by 100 inches of rain, a logger crew pushing trucks, and a hunt club that loves to "root".  I use my GPS all the time, but I know when to ignore it.

Wudman

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2019, 09:38:18 AM »
This is one of the best super trucker moments I have witnessed.11 ton gross bridge. He was way over weight before he was loaded. :D

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Hey maybe he just wanted to feed some carp but was lazy
Liking Walnut

Online Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2019, 10:31:37 AM »
I figured he was getting a head start on a really big batch of mash for his grits.   ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline Kwill

• Cedar cutter
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2019, 10:32:29 AM »
:o

Howd that story end?  What they fish the rig out with?

Was he haulin shelled corn?  The deer wont mind.
That was corn right out of the combine heading to the coop in forest river. I never did hear how they got it out. But the owner of the truck was wanting to borrow a grain vac to trt and get some of the corn back :D
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2019, 10:38:25 AM »

Hello, Sir? this is Bill the trucker, your new bridge, you want it in the same spot as the old one?  Oh, nobody told you, yeah a bit of a problem with the old bridge... 
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
1999 New Holland TC29

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2019, 11:04:38 AM »
I really try to run all sorts of new to me unknown routes back empty when i can, just to get a feel for my options.  The last thing i want is to be stuck somewhere with a full load.  Going from a lowtop flatbed to a 13ft stack of logs has me a little concerned here in the narrow twisty stuff.  But then everyone else seems to manage.  Guess ill just take it slow.  

Offline Kwill

• Cedar cutter
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2019, 11:27:29 AM »
This one was a doozie to. Guy was hauling potatoes the thing was at the crossing you can see 5 miles in either direction. Pretty sure he was on his cell texting. He survived amazingly 

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Offline Kwill

• Cedar cutter
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2019, 11:36:14 AM »
This was last fall up north where I worked. Guy was hauling dirt from the potato conveyors. He got a wheel off the edge of the road and over corrected. Tore the bed cab and all off. He survived lucky.

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2019, 11:41:20 AM »
We see truck/train encounters frequently, the truck always loses. He may have been trying to beat it and not have to wait. A recent one involved a stalled semi, the driver jumped in time.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
What I have been doing to pay for mill shenanigans

Started by Brandon1986 on Sawmills and Milling

2 Replies
Last post February 29, 2016, 11:36:22 AM
by justallan1
xx
Suzuki Street Bike on the road.. then the Dirt Road.. Then trail

Started by weimedog on The Outdoor Board

0 Replies
Last post August 01, 2014, 03:41:17 PM
by weimedog