The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Hydro Ax 411 hydraulic pump  (Read 1602 times)

Online Skeans1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Hydro Ax 411 hydraulic pump
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2019, 03:05:17 PM »
Find the valve tag it should have all the info you need to find a replacement section or complete valve.

Offline kiko

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2019, 04:24:31 PM »
Cracked valve, that makes four of us.  Finding a salvage valve may not be to hard. Hydroax used that valve over many models, those with hot saw as well I believe.

Offline dpgrand

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2019, 03:23:01 PM »
Not that I doubted any of you ... but we blocked off the hoses going to the shear cylinders and still only got 1400#.   I have found someone with a valve but, I suspect he will wait a few days for this cold snap to pass (minus 40-50 wind chills) before pulling it off the machine.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2019, 03:40:42 PM »
Before you buy it, just verify that the pin in your valve spool isnt worn out and only travelling partial stroke.  An 1/8" groove will prevent a spool land from fully blocking the tank port and create a low pressure condition.

There is no question now that you have a pump capable of hitting your desired pressure and a valve that is providing a partial path back to tank.  The last thing is to find this path. If its not a crack its gonna be a worn spool, worn bore or stroke positioning issue
Revelation 3:20

Offline dpgrand

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2019, 05:23:33 PM »
Thanks for that additional piece of advice.  We will double check that.

Also, I have a related question ... at the back of the shear head there is a block with lots of hydraulic hoses, AND what appears to be a valve of sorts.  What is that valve for?  Does that have something with the timing of the opening/closing of the grapple arms?  See attaced pdf pic.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2019, 06:11:50 PM »
Realistically it could be anything but having a hand adjust handle suggests it may be a flow control.  If so cranking them in restricts flow, often in one direction only. A check ball unseats for full flow the other way.  It could be on the input or output side of a cylinder to control its travel rate. 

Kiko may know exactly what it is. Im only guessing.
Revelation 3:20

Offline kiko

• Share Post
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2019, 06:53:16 PM »
I am not familiar with that particular valve, but I would suspect it is a flow control or a sequence valve.  When you headed of the cylinder hoses was it before or after that valve?  If the hoses were headed off after this valve, it might be wise to head it off between this valve and the one we were previously discussing.  

Offline dpgrand

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2019, 09:45:01 AM »
Quick update:  I located a replacement valve and it is currently in route.

Offline dpgrand

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2019, 10:42:43 PM »
FINAL REPORT.  We got it working, with 2250 psi on both shear opening and closing, but not without a second highly improbable twist to the tale.

So, we got the used valve unit I ordered.  We picked it apart, cleaned it, and replaced all 20 O rings, just like we had done to the original valve unit that wasn't working.  We installed it with no problems and tested the PSI.  We had 3000 PSI on one side and virtually zero on the other side.  These readings suggested we were going backwards and, as a result, we were VERY frustrated and decided to call it a day.  In fact, we called it a "2 whiskey" night.

The next day we called our local hydraulic shop to see if they knew anything about this valve unit, and they didn't.  Given everything else we had done, we decided the issue had to be in the relief valves, so we pulled them out of BOTH UNITS again to inspect them more carefully.  Note that each unit has 3 pressure relief valves, 2 high pressure reliefs that control PSI for opening and closing the shear and 1 low pressure relief that controls ______, and they look identical except for the big nut on the exterior side.  In that inspection process we noticed that in the "new" unit someone (before us) had replaced one of the high pressure reliefs with a low pressure relief.  So, we took one of the high pressure reliefs from the old unit and replaced the misplaced low pressure relief in the new unit and ... IT WORKED AS INTENDED.

Again, MANY MANY thanks to kiko and all the rest of you who chimed in to help us solve this problem.  Next week we plan to cut wood ... in 30" of snow ... and I am looking forward to working with 50% more power on the shear head.

Offline old-iron-habit

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2019, 10:09:40 PM »
We pulled the valve out and rebuilt it.  We were able to set the port relief for opening the shear at 2200#, which is good news.  We weren't able to set the port relief for closing the shear any higher than 1400#, and that was with it virtually closed.  We then reversed the port reliefs and got 3000# on opening and 600# on closing.  Logic (not our experience) suggests we have a 1 way leak in a hydraulic cylinder, or there is another relief valve in the shear head.  Any suggestions on next steps?
They are a double seal on the internal ram in the cylinders. A one way leak is not unheard of. A easy check is to hold it at pressure the way the pressure is lower. Put it on a tree it can not cut to have the cylinder bypass in mid stroke. Within 45 seconds or so the leaking cylinder will get warm where the oil is bypassing the center ram seal. It will not only ID if that's the problem but also show you which one is leaking.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Prentice 410D Loader - Hydro Pump Pressures

Started by hdpirtle on Forestry and Logging

1 Replies
Last post September 19, 2014, 08:03:04 PM
by kiko
xx
Output of the hydraulic pump and engine HP to drive a full hydraulic Bandmill?

Started by R. Smith on Sawmills and Milling

6 Replies
Last post September 04, 2009, 08:31:01 AM
by Chico
xx
Hydro Ax 611 EX hydraulic issues

Started by MarkShaw on Forestry and Logging

5 Replies
Last post May 04, 2019, 02:35:32 PM
by mike_belben
xx
hydraulic pump