The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Tree hung up on other trees - Video  (Read 1733 times)

Offline Inaotherlife

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Tree hung up on other trees - Video
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2019, 10:27:05 PM »
Truck wouldnt of pulled mine out
Oh yeah, I see. That'd take some climin. Or sumpin.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2019, 01:00:17 AM »
not to mention not everyone have felling lever
Pretty cool device.  I looked them up on Amazon and they range from US$89 to $369.  All look about the same, just different colors.  Wonder if Logrite would make them.  I'd be nice to have one made from high strength aluminum so it would be light weight.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline Rob in NC

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2019, 11:28:37 AM »
I hate leaners.. especially when they are big. I have had to deal with a few in my years and they make me nervous - the smaller ones I keep "short cutting" as you did in the video but when the trunk is 25"+ it makes me nervous b/c its a lot of weight dropping right beside you and ive had some trucks drop quick and too close to my feet for comfort. If you notice in your video it always pushes right or left as it falls and doesn't always do "what its supposed to do". My "go to" is get on equipment - as soon as that happens I try and pull the stump cut back or to the side with equipment releasing it to drop while im out of the way on the machine but I have an 80hp tractor and still couldn't get a pine loose the other day with it. Pushed from the side with the loader, pulled on the stump, nothing. I finally 3/4 cut the tree it was leaning into and then bumped it down with the equipment from the stump of the first tree and both trees went together. The only reason I even attempted that is because I had a big tree protecting me from a "side shift" were it to come down while I was cutting the tree it was leaning into in my direction but it still sucked - pucker factor was about 12 out of 10 (one of those saw in a running stance and looking up the entire time your cutting thinking "this is a bad idea") moments. I would definitely like some professional advice on the best way to deal with those (wish I had some pics from the one I just did).
The only thing I have found to be fool proof is hook the 450 dozer to the bottom of the tree with a big chain and pull away from the direction it fell until something gives and that brings it out almost every time. 18k pounds will move it - but that's not always an option as the dozer isn't always on the farm im cutting on or I don't want to build a road into the middle of the woods every time to get access to it. I know theres people with a lot more experience then me that have a better solution and no bulldozer.
2012 Lt 35 manual

Online John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2019, 11:52:47 AM »
I hate leaners.. especially when they are big. I have had to deal with a few in my years and they make me nervous - the smaller ones I keep "short cutting" as you did in the video but when the trunk is 25"+ it makes me nervous b/c its a lot of weight dropping right beside you and ive had some trucks drop quick and too close to my feet for comfort.

You can often "directionally fell" the chunks you are cutting off when you do this. I cut a wedge on the top side, then back cut from the underside leaving a hinge to steer the trunk down. Often I'll bore cut for the back cut to set up the hinge and get everything right, then cut that last bit of trigger on the back cut to let it go when I'm ready.

If you make the notch a bit to the left or right, rather than straight up on the top side of the trunk, you can steer where the new but end will go. Sometimes this can help you release the hung tree before you have to chunk the whole thing up. For example, if I see that the tree wants to fall out to the left to get out of the hung situation, I'll notch it in a way that sends the butt to the right. Some times it takes a few chunks until I've walked the butt around to where the top end will release. Hard to describe, but makes sense once you've done it a couple of times. I'll try to find another way something that will make a good saw log, but if it's just going for firewood, it's going to get cut up anyway. (Maybe I'll make a video one of these days, when I see a good candidate for it.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Online Old Greenhorn

• An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2019, 12:32:31 PM »
Not sure if this link will work, but have any of you seen this technique used? hanger slide It's not a youtube video, so I don't think it can be embedded here. Pretty cool idea, but the stump has to have a little height.
Can You help out the Coleman Veterans Memorial by chipping in a few bucks? Go here for the full story: Can you help this year? in General Board

I ain't the woodcutter, but I can cut wood 'til the woodcutter gets here.

Offline Allar

• Firewood Warrior!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2019, 05:17:52 PM »

It looks cool, but to much hassle.   :D
Firewood & Chainsaw videos: Firewood Warrior - YouTube

Online John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2019, 07:22:07 PM »
Not sure if this link will work, but have any of you seen this technique used? hanger slide It's not a youtube video, so I don't think it can be embedded here. Pretty cool idea, but the stump has to have a little height.
That's what I was referring to when I mentioned "tree on a rail" back in reply #13. It takes a bit to set up, but if you are hung up, don't have any equipment with you to pull the bottom out from under it, and need the log in one piece it can be a good option (sometimes you just can't get it to roll out of the tree in which it's stuck).

Too much hassle? well, yeah. If you don't want the hassle, don't get the tree hung up in the first place. "Stuff" happens, however, and it can be a handy tool when other options won't work or aren't available.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline Air Lad

• Full Member x2
  • Onwards and upwards
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2019, 05:32:45 AM »
Not sure if this link will work, but have any of you seen this technique used? hanger slide It's not a youtube video, so I don't think it can be embedded here. Pretty cool idea, but the stump has to have a little height.
Link worked fine
Wow that was impressive
Ms 170/260c /039...Husk 142e/240e...Unloved Chinese 51.2cc that hasn't done anything wrong...2 x dead Mculloch's ..Vintage Poulan.. and a vintage Echo that still runs beaut

Offline Allar

• Firewood Warrior!
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2019, 06:48:57 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN MC!!  smiley_old_guy smiley_beertoast

Offline Pulphook

• Full Member x2
  • Duty, Honor, Country
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2019, 07:11:19 PM »
You getting old John ? 8)
My first aircraft was the school plane an Aeronca Champ ( in another life at Amherst ).
It was neat to solo in and get my private. They rolled the dirt runway in winter for skiis. No cabin heat so you froze your little &%$#@ off.
I recall that in overcast it was a bear to "find the ground" on the snow landing field, bouncing on those skiis really P.O. ed the field managers.
Fun little plane that stalled around 30 kts, but excellent glide ratio just in case.
A good buddy retired A.F. C.O. of the Bangor refueling wing got his Flight Instructor's ticket last year. Said it was tough even after getting his Commercial.
Two wood stoves ( Jotul Rangely ,Jotul Oslo ) heating 99 44/100%
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

Online John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2019, 10:31:03 PM »
You getting old John ? 8)
My first aircraft was the school plane an Aeronca Champ ( in another life at Amherst ).
It was neat to solo in and get my private. They rolled the dirt runway in winter for skiis. No cabin heat so you froze your little &%$#@ off.
I recall that in overcast it was a bear to "find the ground" on the snow landing field, bouncing on those skiis really P.O. ed the field managers.
Fun little plane that stalled around 30 kts, but excellent glide ratio just in case.
A good buddy retired A.F. C.O. of the Bangor refueling wing got his Flight Instructor's ticket last year. Said it was tough even after getting his Commercial.
I learned to fly in a Cessna 150, and later in a 172. I own a 172 now w/180 HP engine upgrade (it helps that my wife is also a pilot, so not a lot of convincing to do). The flight instructor's certificate was the toughest of any I've gotten so far. It's not really so much about the flying - you just have to do that to commercial standards, it's the teaching. My oral exam was probably 3 hours, and I'm sure we spent at least a couple of hours in the air (it was almost 15 years ago, so I don't really remember exactly).

Offline Pulphook

• Full Member x2
  • Duty, Honor, Country
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2019, 07:20:55 AM »
There are 3 unpaved landing strips nearby: Stonington, Blue Hill, and Matinicus I. ( you land "uphill" ).
IBM's Watson family has their private strip on North Haven I.
Trenton/Bar Harbor is commercial IFR.

Got an old friend next to you in Hinesburg.
Two wood stoves ( Jotul Rangely ,Jotul Oslo ) heating 99 44/100%
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

Offline Allar

• Firewood Warrior!
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2019, 05:11:58 AM »
Oh wow, we got some pilots over here. Come pick me up!

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • made 70-11 and still feelin pretty darned good!
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2019, 09:04:59 AM »
Dont know what I would do as it has never happened to me.
LLPOF
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo
241 acres of woodland

Online John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2019, 09:28:52 AM »
Dont know what I would do as it has never happened to me.
LLPOF
Exactly. And with that, allow me to rephrase my earlier comments: When I said something like "what I've done in that situation..." what I really meant to say is "what I've heard others have done..."

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
cut used to remove hung trees

Started by murphy4trees on Urban and Community Forestry

13 Replies
Last post March 04, 2014, 12:52:52 PM
by LittleJohn
xx
tripping hung trees

Started by murphy4trees on Forestry and Logging

24 Replies
Last post October 14, 2010, 06:35:13 PM
by beenthere