The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: In Praise Of PPE  (Read 1366 times)

Offline lxskllr

• dummy with saw
    • Share Post
Re: In Praise Of PPE
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2019, 09:33:45 PM »

I cut year around and thinking the helmet would get hot.
It does. It gets me pretty hot in cool weather, and that's about the only time I cut. I wear a hardhat for work, and there's nothing like the joy of being rained on by sweat in the summer. It condenses in the lid, and falls back down  :^S

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2019, 09:56:54 PM »
I seem to have read on another thread that cut-resistant gear doesnt work with electric saws ???
Electric motor needs more to stall them out as they make more torque as the speed slows down, where as a gas saw makes less, and so stalls out quicker. 
But once you get enough nylon wrapped around the drive sprocket, it's still going to stop.
The chaps etc aren't so much "cut resistant", as the saw still cuts into them. But in doing so it drags out clumps of super stringy nylon that binds up the drive sprocket almost instantly. As long as that happens before the chain gets through the layers into the soft meaty bits underneath, then the chaps have done their job. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2019, 10:37:27 PM »
Electric motor needs more to stall them out as they make more torque as the speed slows down, where as a gas saw makes less, and so stalls out quicker. But once you get enough nylon wrapped around the drive sprocket, it's still going to stop.

Torque also drops off dramatically as a gas engine slows down. Also when the gas engine stalls, it's dead. Nothing more to worry about. Not so with the electric motor: it still keeps trying to turn as long as you pull the trigger. So it's possible the electric motor could start moving again if the material shifts a bit. (unless they've added some sort of sensor to it to kick it off.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
  • "Been there, done that........and still learning"
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2019, 07:26:24 AM »
I had a employee once who did a helmet test. He was feeding the chipper on a hot sunny day when he tried to work without his helmet to cool down. After 5 minutes with the sun shining on his bare head he put his helmet back on.
He was wearing ear plugs as I warned him ear muffs are way too hot.
Always wear flip up screens on my helmets too.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Offline lxskllr

• dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2019, 07:38:52 AM »
If I'm not on a construction site, my standard hot weather hat's a boonie hat. It holds in heat, but blocks the sun, and it helps that it's absorbent. With a hardhat, the moisture has nowhere to go but back down over your head. I do have a vented hardhat, but I'm not sure it helps much. It might make things better in Tuscon, but not here in humid MD.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2019, 08:33:13 AM »
If I'm cutting anywhere with overhead hazards, I'm wearing my helmet. I've seen too many times what a head injury can do to people. I'm not taking the chance of my wife and kids having to deal with something like that. (And that is despite an old college wrestling injury that messes up my neck when I wear the helmet for too long.)

If it's too hot out, the ear muffs come off and I wear ear plugs instead. If it's still to hot, I work shorter days or find something else to do that day. If I know a heat wave is coming, I'll often haul out into the open (ideally still in a shady area - this far north, I can still often manage to find shade in a clearing in summertime). Then I'll cut firewood to stove length with just safety glasses and ear plugs on my head.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Online Old Greenhorn

• An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2019, 03:16:42 PM »
Me too. It is the only piece of my safety gear I had had to replace do to a hard hit (at least in recent memory). I was limbing a downed tree and when I cut off a limb, it released a small spring pole I did not see which came up and cracked me in the face mask hard enough to kink and crack the screen mesh, bend the frame, and knock the helmet off my head. After the stars stopped circling, I straightened it out best I could and finished the day out, but ordered a replacement that night. Even with the screen in place I had a small bruise over my cheekbone. It's a good lesson for those folks who say they only wear a helmet if there are overhead hazards.
Can You help out the Coleman Veterans Memorial by chipping in a few bucks? Go here for the full story: Can you help this year? in General Board

I ain't the woodcutter, but I can cut wood 'til the woodcutter gets here.

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
  • "Been there, done that........and still learning"
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2019, 03:27:05 PM »
When we were logging with saws the company got a new woman safety officer.  She was bound and determined to make all the fallers wear safety glasses under our helmet screens.
Well she was in for a rude awakening when she met up with a logging camp full of angry loggers who didn't want to wear fogged up safety glasses while dropping trees .
Matter of fact I never saw a faller in any of our camps who wore prescription glasses.  Only on skidder operators.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Offline lxskllr

• dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2019, 03:39:23 PM »
When we were logging with saws the company got a new woman safety officer.  She was bound and determined to make all the fallers wear safety glasses under our helmet screens.
Well she was in for a rude awakening when she met up with a logging camp full of angry loggers who didn't want to wear fogged up safety glasses while dropping trees .
Matter of fact I never saw a faller in any of our camps who wore prescription glasses.  Only on skidder operators.
The face shield was the main reason I got a helmet. I wear glasses, and they're bad enough without having goggles on over them. I already have a hardhat and earplugs otherwise, though the muffs are kinda nice in the winter. Still hot, but it's convenient just flipping them up.

Offline Allar

• Firewood Warrior!
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2019, 06:10:11 PM »
Me too. It is the only piece of my safety gear I had had to replace do to a hard hit (at least in recent memory). I was limbing a downed tree and when I cut off a limb, it released a small spring pole I did not see which came up and cracked me in the face mask hard enough to kink and crack the screen mesh, bend the frame, and knock the helmet off my head. After the stars stopped circling, I straightened it out best I could and finished the day out, but ordered a replacement that night. Even with the screen in place I had a small bruise over my cheekbone. It's a good lesson for those folks who say they only wear a helmet if there are overhead hazards.
I had a similar situation. 
I felled a tree without cleaning the brush first. So while limbing i accidently cut the hazel tree(REALLY SPRINGY) that was under the tree that i felled.
and POW, it hit me right in the eye and knocked my husky helmet off my head. 
Luckly the helmet was fine after straightening out the visor but i went home with a black eye....
Firewood & Chainsaw videos: Firewood Warrior - YouTube

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2019, 07:01:52 PM »
Even with the screen in place I had a small bruise over my cheekbone. It's a good lesson for those folks who say they only wear a helmet if there are overhead hazards.
In my case, the ongoing medical issues with my neck injury mean minimizing the time I wear anything on my head much heavier than a baseball cap.

Since I limb the trees in the woods (where there are overhead hazards), I've got my helmet with face shield on anyway. When I bring the logs out to a landing for cutting to sawlog or firewood length, in addition to no overhead hazards, there are no spring poles or brush to deal with, so the face shield is not really getting me anything: at that point, if anything is coming at me it's sawdust or a kickback. The safety glasses (and closing my mouth) take care of the sawdust. If kickback were an issue, the helmet is not all that effective: the chain will peel it right off my head (not that the plastic brim is doing much even if the helmet stayed on).

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Hi Praise

Started by Tim L on General Board

0 Replies
Last post February 06, 2009, 09:22:14 PM
by Tim L
xx
Praise Indeed

Started by Bothy_Loon on General Board

18 Replies
Last post September 22, 2006, 01:37:05 PM
by DanG