The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Tips on learning to weld?  (Read 5720 times)

Offline LeeB

• Senior Member x2
  • proud to be a TEXAN in Arkansas
    • Share Post
Re: Tips on learning to weld?
« Reply #140 on: August 04, 2019, 04:05:56 AM »
One point mentioned many times is being able to see. I know you can get cheater lenses for a regular helmet but my question is can you get and auto darkening helmet with cheaters? In lieu of that, are any of the auto darkening inserts for a regular helmet worth buying? 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
« Reply #141 on: August 04, 2019, 08:22:25 AM »
I believe you can use cheaters  with auto darkening helmets. I don't know if it's worth buying an insert for an existing helmet. The helmet is the cheap part. A friend bought a Lincoln auto darkening helmet this winter. Easy better than three supposedly good one I bought a few years ago. I don't know the model, but it says Viking on it. It has a knob on the side for darkness setting, as well as a grinding mode.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"Logrite!

Online Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #142 on: August 04, 2019, 08:31:07 AM »
Yes, they slipped inside the helmets we had in class. Look for a track inside the helmet, I'm not sure if they all have one.
A laborer works with his hands
A craftsman uses his brain and his hands
An artist uses his brain, his hands, and his heart

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #143 on: August 04, 2019, 08:37:53 AM »
I've tried cheaters in a-d helmets and didn't like the way they worked.  Using a pair of readers seems to work the best for me.  It's worth experimenting to find the best way for you though.  Seeing is important!  The cheater lens was only about 15$ at a welding shop.  

I don't think changing a regular helmet to auto-darkening would turn out well.  

I've bought some cheap helmets that work pretty good and some that don't work well so they're not all equal.  A friend loaned me a nice Lincoln (viking series I think) to compare and it is a much better piece of equipment.  Around $240 vs. $60 for the cheap ones.  Suspension much better, view much better.  You get what you pay for.  That being said, the $60 one is not too bad and I'm still using it - with my reading glasses.

It's really worth experimenting to find what works for you.
HM126

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #144 on: August 04, 2019, 12:12:40 PM »
With a fast freeze rod you can"long arc" through rusty steel or painted .It won't look very good but with a second pass it will pretty up .Old machinery etc some times you just can't get a grinder to the part being repaired .Don't try it on cast iron though but most people won't even try to weld cast .
Arc welding once you get it you never really forget it .You might get a little "rusty" but it comes back fast .

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #145 on: August 04, 2019, 12:27:41 PM »
As far as hoods ,when I was younger what  I used at work was the small glass type with a number 12 lens and a 2.5 flash google under .That was when I was lot younger and had better vision and was burning over 50 pounds a day of 7/32 iron powder rods at around 300 amps .
These days I have both a self darkening plus a large glass type with a number 10 lens which is dark enough rarely using anything larger than 1/8" rods . Eye glasses work a lot better in a large glass type because you can get the bifocal line right in the middle of what you are trying to weld and see 4 arcs .It gets rather confusing .

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #146 on: August 04, 2019, 06:42:47 PM »
I have a Jackson helmet and auto dark and the magnification fits perfect.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.

Offline Bradm

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #147 on: August 07, 2019, 10:18:18 PM »
Here's another safety tip - Never forget that the part you just finished welding is hot.

No pictures, but I gave myself that reminder a few times over the weekend.

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #148 on: August 07, 2019, 10:25:16 PM »
Good point.

99% of the time I remember that.

100% would be better though.

Offline luap

• Full Member x2
  • Not as good as I once was
    • Share Post
« Reply #149 on: August 08, 2019, 10:21:23 AM »
As far as the gas goes I have a 5 year lease with American Gas. I can exchange tanks at the local auto parts as they are a distributor. They don't do any of the billing although they can sign you up for the lease. Can't recall cost of original lease as I started with a ten year lease. They have had specials where you can renew the lease for$50.00. They have a store about an hour away where I can deal directly with them and they have in stock welding machines , plasma cutters, rod, wire, etc.

Offline pgk1

• Share Post
« Reply #150 on: August 13, 2019, 05:51:11 PM »
Ok so I just had to try out the welder. Going to get into it a bit more this weekend. But here are my first 3 welds with zero prior welding experience. I can tell for sure that I'm rushing, going to have to work on that. Nice thing was, I picked up 20-30 pieces of scrap 1/4' for $5.  
(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Don't get discouraged, practice, practice, practice. Someone had mention Jody's Welding Tips and tricks, he is a excellent teacher and really knows his stuff. Here is a link to Part 1 Mig welding. Take the time to check all 8 of them out. Best way to practice when starting out is just padding beads on a piece of 1/4 flat stock, make sure you quench it after laying down 3 or 4 beads as it will get HOT... Are you using Flux core or Mig process with 75/25 gas? Verify your polarity is correct for each.
http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/mig-welding-basics.html
Pete
PM605, MS462CM, MS211

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Learning to MIG weld

Started by Frickman on General Board

21 Replies
Last post January 25, 2005, 08:54:36 PM
by jwood
xx
Learning to weld, period!

Started by johnday on General Board

19 Replies
Last post January 30, 2005, 08:04:12 PM
by J T