The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: End of the line for 390 XP, 395 XP and 3120 XP  (Read 583 times)

Offline outinthewood

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
End of the line for 390 XP, 395 XP and 3120 XP
« on: January 28, 2019, 02:51:11 PM »
There has been mutterings of the dropping of the 390 and 395 in my home market for a while but it would appear that "we" have reached the end of the line on the above saws ! 
Due to emission regs what is now out in Euro dealers is the last and indeed production stopped a few months ago.
Not really a big deal in the North American area as there is such a choice of "ported" saws which lets face it is the way to go if you are a full time faller ? 
There has been talk of a "590" - "595" again for some time so we will see soon enough .I understand that the 088 is also under threat , any comment on that anyone ? 
This has not come out of the blue "we" just didn't pay attention !
In my "home" we have gone to a 30 year rotation on clear fells down from 40 years, big timber is becoming a thing of the past anyway, never used my 3120 much anyway and the 090s even less !!
So what do we think is on it's way and what would you like to see in the "new clean range" 

Offline weimedog

• Senior Member x2
  • Better to be a "Has Been" than a "Never Been"!
    • Share Post
Re: End of the line for 390 XP, 395 XP and 3120 XP
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 03:22:33 PM »
Never know what's on the corporate mind, unless you are....them. The 3120 & 395 are hold overs from another era and I guess now you can say the 390's are as well. It would be a shame to loose the 390's but to be honest I haven't seen a 395 or 3120 in a long time where they were actually used because they were uniquely the right solution. Big old growth is rare out here. Milling? Band saw pricing has made that a stretch now as well. Hobby types? Collectors? There are enough ones out there right now to satisfy that, just like with the old Homelites and Macs. I still have and now again run old Jonsered 920's! Most of the larger operations are mechanical now, especially for soft wood where they all pretty much are. For the smaller hard wood operations, 576's  and 390's have been popular but there are a LOT of 372's of various era's still out there. Actually they make up my bread and butter for saws....372's. In new saw sales the 562's have done well even against the 372's, pointing out that displacement isn't always the choice for these guys. They are that good. NOW with the 572's....who knows. And looking at the bottom end (Crank & Bearings) of those things, is a larger version possible? Again I have no idea but back the OP, the world won't end without the big older saw designs here. And to those who question that, the quest for more power in a smaller and lighter with less vibration for less fatigue package will get many to move to newer ones...just like some spend a lot of money to have to small shops build that concept even now. Why modded saws have a purpose other than GTG's for some.

My guess? Research money will go towards things like Battery Powered solutions and better Autotunes. I bet is within ten years, there will be a battery option that competes with the 372 class saws for power to weight and cost to run formula's. First company to get there wins in the long run. We will be looking at 390's as I do 288's and 395's as I look at 920's.....cool saws, no longer a place in the main stream marketplace. 

Just my most humble opinion. Nothing more. As I continue to burn fuel until I can't any more....
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
  • "Been there, done that........and still learning"
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 03:43:37 PM »
The 395, 372 will continue to be manufactured in Brazil for years to come as that market is huge in their non EPA market.
But in North America, Europe etc there will still be need for old growth harvesting in rough terrain, fire fighting,  urban forestry in the Arboriculture industry which is also huge worldwide.
Will be interesting to see what comes out of Germany, Sweden in the near future.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Offline outinthewood

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 03:51:01 PM »
As I would expect from you a considered reply ! I cut 90% of my time for harvesters and they can with the max bar at 32" here cut a good size tree coming in from 3 sides so whats left is bigish and ugly ! So enter the smallest sensible ported saw and as you say seeing a 395 or 3120 is a very rare event ! With the advent of Oregon's Hyper Skip ripping chain even a "big" saw for milling is a thing that is past ..? We do still have the chance of something out of the Brazil factory if you can work something out ! But is that worth the aggro ?

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 05:52:32 PM »
this was said a few years ago, for a while here in Canada we could not by a 395 but a year or so ago they brought them back into the line up. 395 are a very common saw here and about on par with the 390 for numbers of saws sold. I know my 395 I bought like 3 years or so ago came from Brazil . I think now I have put 3 tanks of fuel threw it. 3120 most dealers here keep in stock cause to run the long bars . I got a brandnew 3120 sitting in the basement just incase I need one . One thing you learn with Husky, when they say their done building a certain saw just wait a week, more will show up

Offline longtime lurker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 05:22:14 AM »
Ringing my dealer tomorrow.... 395's are my go to workhorse, better buy another one if I still can.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Offline PA_Walnut

• Share Post
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 05:30:00 AM »
Like my 395 for big work. (ripping huge stuff for quartering). This brings to mind, are there tweaks for getting more outta it? Is the 390 better for that?

I want a general use saw that can go up to about 24" bar that is faster and more HP than my little saw...I forget the model, but a Husky consumer flavor unit.

Thx
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Baker Portable Edger with Kubota Diesel
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln

Offline mredden

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 01:17:45 PM »
So, that's why the dealer cheerfully gave me the $100.00 discount on their list price (MSRP) when I bought a 390xp two weeks ago. (I had done them a favor by calling the police when I discovered their unlocked door on a Saturday morning last month.) If I had only waited . . .

Oh well, the need arose two weeks ago and I was happy with the discount at the time so I need to remain happy. Love the saw thus far.

I don't imagine we'll see much in the way of retailer shelf clearance prices for a while when the replacement line arrives.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 03:26:19 PM »
There is no reason they would discount the price when no replacement model is on the way.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline outinthewood

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 04:23:37 PM »
As ehp said we have seen this before and that includes Stihl when they dropped the 044 then brought it back for a short run and perhaps they ,Stihl, took the warnings on board and have got ahead on the new range of saws ready to comply because this is not Husqvarna saying they are dropping the saws it's a case of no choice !! So this is a little bit of a "must comply" not marketing ploy....

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
I dug thorugh the electric line, phone, and water line

Started by ozarkgem on General Board

25 Replies
Last post April 20, 2015, 08:41:07 PM
by ozarkgem
xx

Started by timberjack240 on Chainsaws

7 Replies
Last post February 24, 2005, 08:15:50 PM
by Ironwood
xx