The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: OWB Pump Issues  (Read 409 times)

Offline ct_homeowner

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
OWB Pump Issues
« on: January 28, 2019, 06:51:57 PM »
Good evening - 

I have a Polar G2, first year I've owned it. Really efficient, but I just had the pump (Grundfos UP26) go out for the second time. Customer service at Polar has been no help and even refused to honor the warranty on the first pump, but that's another issue.

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why this might be happening. I am running a 50/50 antifreeze mix, and the water is hot, but I haven't had any boilover or anything like that. The circulator pump inside the house is running the same liquid through and has been running just fine. 

Anybody have any ideas what it might be? Thank you!

Offline E Yoder

• Full Member x2
  • Heating with a HeatMaster GS100
    • Share Post
Re: OWB Pump Issues
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 02:01:02 AM »
This is on the back of the outdoor furnace, correct? Do you have a picture of how it's mounted? How far is it pushing, what size piping?
HeatMaster dealer support in VA.
GS100.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 05:54:59 AM »
I had a issue with pumps. The guy that installed it put too big of a pump on it. Seem like the water was coming back to the pump and making the fins turn faster. Sounds good,dropped down a few sizes and all is good and has been good for 10 years now. I had the Taco13 dropped down to an 8 and no problems.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline ct_homeowner

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 09:11:43 AM »
This is on the back of the outdoor furnace, correct? Do you have a picture of how it's mounted? How far is it pushing, what size piping?
That's correct - it is on the back of the furnace and just circulates water there - there is another pump inside the house as well (no problem there). It is 1 1/4" piping, picture attached. 

Offline ct_homeowner

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 09:12:39 AM »
I had a issue with pumps. The guy that installed it put too big of a pump on it. Seem like the water was coming back to the pump and making the fins turn faster. Sounds good,dropped down a few sizes and all is good and has been good for 10 years now. I had the Taco13 dropped down to an 8 and no problems.
That's great. Thanks very much. Yeah, I always wondered why there was such a powerful pump back there. 

Offline buckgrunt

• E-Classic 2300
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 09:32:07 AM »
I have a 10-yr old CB 2300 and I have 1 TACO pump circulating the water to and from my plate exchanger, which is inside the house.  You mentioned you have another pump inside the house.  I may not be following you, but why do you have 2 pumps circulating the same loop ? 

Offline Rebarb

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 01:34:17 PM »
Only reason for the use of 2nd pump would be a Hydronic system or supplying a 2nd exchanger to heat an additional building or garage tied into it's own thermostat. 

OP, curious why the use of 50/50 mix which does put more strain on the pumps and reduces heat transfer.....less efficient. 

Offline ct_homeowner

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 03:55:27 PM »
Only reason for the use of 2nd pump would be a Hydronic system or supplying a 2nd exchanger to heat an additional building or garage tied into it's own thermostat.

OP, curious why the use of 50/50 mix which does put more strain on the pumps and reduces heat transfer.....less efficient.
On the 2nd pump - that is not correct with this model. This model has one pump in the unit itself, but it does not push fluid to the to the house. It merely circulates fluid from the jacket to the reservoir in the back which then feeds up to three lines. A second pump is needed to bring the fluid into the house. If you wanted to use a second line (unit has three), you would need a third pump.
On the 50/50 - because sometimes for work I need to leave for a week and my wife refuses to fill the boiler. Then we run heat pumps (put in for AC) in the house.

@buckgrund - I think I answered your question here too. It's a quirk of this model that you need one circulator pump on the boiler and then an additional pump for every loop off of it. 

Offline E Yoder

• Full Member x2
  • Heating with a HeatMaster GS100
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 03:47:44 AM »
Is that the whole model # (UP26)?
 It seems plenty big (high head), I wonder if it's cavitating. I'd think something smaller like a 15-58 would be plenty, but I'd also think they'd size it correctly from the factory. So I might be wrong.
HeatMaster dealer support in VA.
GS100.

Offline ct_homeowner

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 09:27:55 AM »
Thanks everybody. Looks like the UPS15 should fit right in where the UPS26 was - hopefully the lower power should do the trick. Will also save me $200 on a new pump. Will try that. Really appreciate your time. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Diesel Primary pump from tank to injector pump

Started by Ironwood on General Board

19 Replies
Last post January 25, 2005, 08:12:11 PM
by Ironwood
xx
Enough pump??

Started by overclocking on Firewood and Wood Heating

5 Replies
Last post February 16, 2016, 10:19:02 AM
by overclocking