iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Sharpening a chain. Why so difficult  (Read 2592 times)

Offline hedgerow

• Share Post
Re: Sharpening a chain. Why so difficult
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2019, 10:37:09 AM »
My problem with hand sharpening is I don't seem to have enough patience. Years ago when my FIL was still alive that guy could file a chain free hand like none other. I bought a  PFERD when they first came out and it worked well for me. About five years ago a good friend bought a acreage so I gave him a couple saws and the PFERD that I had. Had a older gentleman in town that did chains for three bucks for something to do. He did a good job sharpening. He pass on last fall so it will be time to figure out my next plan. I have two main saws we clean pastures with and buck firewood and I run a 20 inch 3/8 on them so I have around thirty chains I would rotate and usually take 20 at a time to him to sharpen. I do have a couple Foley Belsaw 308 sharpeners that a buddy found on a garage sale years ago for twenty bucks. I should get them out and see what I have maybe can get them up and running and use one for the angle and one for rakers. 

Offline MNBobcat

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2019, 02:09:23 PM »
I had an education this year.  For the last 8 years all I have ran is Oregon chain.  Mostly semi-chisel but I did try full chisel several times.  

I have a grinder with a CBN wheel.  

Like you, no matter what I did I could not get the chain to cut very well.  I have no desire to hand file as I find it slow and tedious and not any better than sharpening with a good quality wheel and a light touch.  Regardless of HOW I filed or ground the chain it didn't cut great and had to be sharpened often.

This year I went to Stihl brand full-chisel and OMG what a difference!`  It seems like I can cut forever between sharpening.  When I do sharpen with the grinder, it cuts like new and pulls itself into the cut.  Night and day difference.  I will never, ever, run Oregon chain again.

I've read that the chrome is harder on the stihl chain but whatever it is, it is far superior to Oregon chain.  I'm enjoying cutting now where I didn't in the past.

I liked the chain so well I bought 5 loops.  I set the grinder angle and sharpen all 5 loops only every other tooth.  Then I switch the angle and sharpen all 5 loops on the opposite tooth.  Saves having to adjust the grinder too often.  Those 5 loops last me a long time.  I merely switch chains when it's time.

Online lxskllr

• dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2019, 03:04:14 PM »

I have 4 places i have took chains locally and they never come Back right. This stihl tool i bought was well worth the 39.99. Some consider it a gimmick some make fun of you for using it but as long as it sharpens my chains and im not fighting the saw then im happy.
Don't hold on to the file too long and try to save money or anything. When it gets dull get rid of it. I don't always follow my own advice cause I'm a little stupid. I was toting an old file with me today to cut vines. Figured that crappy chain didn't deserve a good file. Got back to the truck tired, and was gonna get everything setup for next time; dragged my old file across the teeth, and said "screw this", and got a new one. Such a nice difference. A light stroke makes a shower of fines, and it sharpens like it should. I was only punishing myself taking that lame file with me.
Don't be stupid like me. A new Stihl file is a bargain at twice the price  ;^)

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2019, 06:34:09 PM »
I buy files by the box,so when one is bad,I throw it away. I feel it can affect my filing. I have a small saw and a big saw,so I have 2 diffeant size files,and a box of each.
Sometimes I will slip when I am filing. I wear all leather gloves when I am filing. The gloves I wear when I am working has the cloth over the knuckles. Only took me a couple times of drawing blooding to wear all leather gloves to protect my knuckles. I keep a pair on the tractor and a pair in the garage.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Online moodnacreek

• Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2019, 07:16:56 PM »
Files must be protected from touching any metal. Buy them by the box and always have a new one. File ALL THE TIME , don't let your teeth ever get dull. If you grind, keep grinding as the teeth will not file right after being glazed by the stone. A sharp file and only one or two strokes lets you concentrate .

Online TACOMATODD

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2019, 04:02:00 PM »
This may not be your cup of tea, but, I made an adjustable for height slide in piece with a smallish vise mounted to, so that it slides in your truck frame mounted reciever hitch, that I can grab hold of my bar with. Besides sharpening, it is also great for having a free hand for doing any type of tuning that I see fit. Not to mention, it is good for whatever else I deem necessary to give me that elusive third hand!
Trying harder everyday

Online moodnacreek

• Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2019, 06:21:13 PM »
This may not be your cup of tea, but, I made an adjustable for height slide in piece with a smallish vise mounted to, so that it slides in your truck frame mounted reciever hitch, that I can grab hold of my bar with. Besides sharpening, it is also great for having a free hand for doing any type of tuning that I see fit. Not to mention, it is good for whatever else I deem necessary to give me that elusive third hand!
A tree guy I worked for as a kid had that on the front bumber of a '49 dodge.

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2019, 06:37:02 PM »
I would like to see a picture of that for sure. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Online moodnacreek

• Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2019, 07:38:34 PM »
I would like to see a picture of that for sure.
That was about 1960, he kept the vise when I bought the truck that I junked about 12 years ago.

Offline hedgerow

• Share Post
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2019, 08:09:17 PM »
Years ago when I used to do a lot of custom round baling of hay I had a vise mount on the front of a JD 4240 tractor so I could cut and spice the belts out in the field. Having a vise around can be very handy. 

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2019, 09:27:17 PM »
I free handfiled for about 15years and i consider myself good at it. i can get a chain cut maybe a little bit better than new or at least as good as new. 
since one year i use the 2in1 file and it's hand down the best filling tool there is, period. I can file a 18" long B/C in 90 seconds and the chain cuts like crazy, i do need a vise though. I have one on my quad which is always with me when i'm falling. 

we work 6 hours falling a day (85F heat and up) and i file my saw 5-6 times and the 2 saws of my helpers also every day so i can not take 5min per filing. I also bet that i'm faster sharpening with the 2in1 than a guy taking a dull chain off and putting a new one on. I consider even 1 dollar to much to pay for another person filing my chains.

i guess that just 3-5% of all chainsaw users will file a chain sharper than me with the 2in1. 
and whats the point of having the sharpest chain (unless your in a competition)? I work in teak and the initial freshly sharpened edge is gone after 10min. 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Online lxskllr

• dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2019, 09:37:38 PM »
What chain do you use for cutting teak; RS?

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2019, 10:11:30 PM »
No, normal RM. the RS won't hold an edge for 5min and then dull they are way slow and nerve wrecking. Teak is very abrasive because of the oil it has and i cut pretty low, so the RM is way more forgiving. 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Offline Kwill

• Cedar cutter
    • Share Post
« Reply #73 on: Yesterday at 12:55:01 PM »
Well i highly reccomend the 2in1 stihl tool for anyone who has struggled like me to keep a sharp chain. My saw is cutting better now than is has in a long time. Almost like putting a new chain on. 
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Offline breederman

• Senior Member x2
  • getting by the best way I know how
    • Share Post
« Reply #74 on: Yesterday at 01:15:19 PM »
Ill start by saying that I have always sucked at sharpining my saws. I heat 100 % with wood . Several years ago through a disscusion on here i discovered the husky roller guides and that made a huge difference in my filing consistency, but they still never stayed sharp as long as they should. To make a short story long , I needed a box of files today but instead bought the 2 in one system. Without a doubt 40 bucks well spent ! I touched up my old chain and had at it. Did I say I suck at sharpening  ?  It was immediately apparent! I burned up more than a tank of gas on my pile of dirty frozen logs and i bet it was still cutting better than when i started with the roller. Im sold.
Together we got this !

Offline Allar

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #75 on: Yesterday at 02:38:39 PM »
i'm tempted to try the stihl 2in1 out..  Because my chain doesn't pull into the wood when sharpening with husqvarna roller guide.
Check out my  videos: Xtreme Landlife - YouTube

Offline Kwill

• Cedar cutter
    • Share Post
« Reply #76 on: Yesterday at 02:43:41 PM »
I didnt want to spend the 40.00 but i was tired of spending 4.00 a chain to get them sharpened and they came back worse than before i sent them. It was 40 well spent.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Offline breederman

• Senior Member x2
  • getting by the best way I know how
    • Share Post
« Reply #77 on: Yesterday at 03:04:19 PM »
My dealer told me he orders 6 or 8 at a time and is always running out. 
Together we got this !

Offline Haggis

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #78 on: Yesterday at 03:25:11 PM »
So all this talk back and forth and I think simply those that are struggling aren't filing their rakers. Just my two cents from reading all the posts. The two in one obviously will do both in one pass. I haven't tried this myself but sound decent especially if speed of filing is important to you.

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #79 on: Yesterday at 03:36:22 PM »

So long as the teeth are sharp, there's hook angle on the side plate and the rakers aren't too high a chain will cut good.  I've gotten chains in here sharpened by local shops with a negative hook angle on the side plate , no way would they cut good.   . Steve
Timberking B20 12000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Dino setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Chain sharpening kit or automatic sharpening

Started by NovaSS on Chainsaws

12 Replies
Last post November 22, 2013, 02:29:18 PM
by thecfarm
xx
Sharpening a Chain Mortiser chain?

Started by LOGDOG on Timber Framing/Log construction

7 Replies
Last post March 27, 2010, 06:14:40 PM
by Jim_Rogers