The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: anchorseal  (Read 1357 times)

Offline xlogger

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
anchorseal
« on: January 31, 2019, 04:32:06 AM »
Getting real low on Anchorseal now. Was wondering how much it does help. Most of my logs when I get them have been cut a week or more. Some already have some cracks. Is it worth doing?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
Re: anchorseal
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 06:23:56 AM »
I use roofing tar and prior to milling cut a cookie off the end .Anchor seal does okay but doesn't stay forever like tar .

Offline doc henderson

• Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 06:51:39 AM »
I have used it and paint.  I think they both help, but is recommended ASAP before cracks develop and I tend to wait.  I bought a box of the plastic ties with special hammer/driver that are to stop cracks after they begin.  I have not tried this yet.  I know @doc Wengert is a fan and has data to back it up.  I have a buddy who is going to get me wax emulsion concrete sealer that they use by the truckload.  I can get it for free.  I think cost is the big issue.  I will post after I try that.

Offline Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 08:36:51 AM »
I use Henrys or Blackjack white rubber roofing sealer. Stays on excellent and you can still see the grain for sawing. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 09:24:31 AM »
I cut a cookie and apply Anchor seal just prior .I've found leaving the tar on not only fouls the band but also streaks the lumber with tar .Tar coated cookies really roar in a wood stove once they get going ,smokes a bit too .So far I haven't been investigated by the wood  stove patrol or the chainsaw police .Safe for now .

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 12:38:29 PM »
I am convinced Anchorseal does a benificial job of stopping cracks on some species, such as oak, cherry, walnut.  Not so much on pine, basswood, etc. I donít spray my logs anymore, I mill them, deadstack and then pack saw, to freshen the ends.  Then I spray the ends of the entire pack.  

The cost of the shipping Anchorseal has really gone up, maybe shipping is now 1/4 the cost of the product, so I am looking for alternatives.  I may try some the the Blackjack sealer.  

I wouldnít sticker any high value wood unless it has been endsealed efffectively.  

It does make a difference, I can tell when a pack has slipped through and not gotten sprayed, in a few weeks itís full of little end cracks.  

HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline flatrock58

• Share Post
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 10:40:04 AM »
We need to get local groups together to buy a 55 gallon drum and share the cost.  It is about half the price.  They do that with woodworking clubs.  Maybe we can work something out at the next Georgia Sycamore quartersawing project!
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Piney Woods modified Dual tooth setter.

Offline Glenn1

• Drying lumber one board at a time
    • Share Post
    • GPS Hardwoods
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 03:14:53 PM »
Last winter, I purchased a 55 gallon drum of Anchorseal.  By buying it during the winter, they add a liquid  that eliminates freezing.  I believe that I paid approximately $330 for the drum plus shipping with an LTL shipper.
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Offline xlogger

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 06:14:45 PM »
I'm pretty much out today, going to order 5 gallons, wonder what it costs now.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Offline flatrock58

• Share Post
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 10:11:37 PM »
Who is using anchorseal 2 and is it as good as the original?
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Piney Woods modified Dual tooth setter.

Offline xlogger

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 04:27:55 AM »
I was thinking after my last post that I've got several cans of paint in the basement that are really old now. I know they are not as good to use as anchorseal but need to get rid of them. Wonder if I coat the ends of logs heavy with them it would help.

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 07:32:37 AM »
I've used Anchorseal 2 and I prefer the original.

HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 07:34:20 AM »
Me too.  I don't prefer the anchorseal 2 and just use the original formulation.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Online GeneWengert-WoodDoc

• Senior Member x2
  • Author of "Sawing Hardwood Lumber"
    • Share Post
    • Book on Sawing hardwood Lumber
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 11:26:36 AM »
It is my understanding that some people did not apply Anchorseal original thick enuf to do a good job, so they made a second formulation that went on thicker.  The original should not be brushed on to make a thin coat, like painting a wall, but should be smothered on.  If you do put on a thick coat of original, stay with it.

Incidentally, for 8/4 and thicker, especially expensive woods, apply two coats about 30 minutes apart.

Most house paints do not form a good moisture barrier so they are not the best option for thick lumber, for higher shrinking species, and for expensive woods.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Converting your logs to lumber at my home or yours
    • Share Post
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2019, 11:38:26 AM »
House paint also makes it difficult to see the heart, read the grain or see evidence of metal stain, spalting, etc.
07 Timberking B-20, Custom-made log arch, 20' trailer w/ log loading arch, F350 SD flatbed dump.  Princeton piggy-back forklift.  Bobcat S250, Stihl 025C 16" and a Husqvarna 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says "He's sawin logs", I ain't snorin'.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 12:01:01 PM »
   This thread reminded me to go buy another 5 gallon bucket. I did get hit with shipping charges this time so I assume UC-Coatings has changed their policy/pricing. I knew it was too good to last. Total $123.80 while the last was about $95 a few months ago. I checked on the Henry's White Rubber sealant at Lowes and this was still much cheaper and I know how well it works. They are very prompt on delivery too. I like the clear so I can see the heart checks and such to help determine my sawing path.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline doc henderson

• Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2019, 01:32:52 PM »
looks like the classic is a little more expensive and petroleum ingredients and 2 has some plant based polymers.  about 96 dollars to 91 dollars respectively with color.  plus shipping.  I use a cheap HF airless sprayer to put on the classic.  when I roll it on, I seem to get quite a bit on the ground.  I had them add the antifreeze to mine as well.

Offline xlogger

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 05:56:56 AM »
When ahead and order 5 gallons yesterday $88 plus shipping. The air less sprayer you posted about, is it lots of trouble to clean up after each use? Most of the time I'm only painting one log at a time.

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2019, 06:38:48 AM »
Shipping was the killer, last time I paid $34 bucks for a $93 bucket, December 27.  That seemed extremely high considering shipping used to be free, considering I purchase several 5 gallon buckets at the same time.

I use the pump up backpack sprayer sold by anchor seal and there is no cleanup.  I love it.  Every now and them I remove the tip and blow it out with an air compressor.  Thats the great thing about Anchorseal, spray it and stick the sprayer under the workbench until the next time.  

Some of the other sealers will actually dry or cure, and cleanup can be a major headache and time consumer.  
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline xlogger

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2019, 05:56:41 PM »
I have used it and paint.  I think they both help, but is recommended ASAP before cracks develop and I tend to wait.  I bought a box of the plastic ties with special hammer/driver that are to stop cracks after they begin.  I have not tried this yet.  I know @doc Wengert is a fan and has data to back it up.  I have a buddy who is going to get me wax emulsion concrete sealer that they use by the truckload.  I can get it for free.  I think cost is the big issue.  I will post after I try that.
Have you or anyone here used the plastic ties? How do you think they work?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Anchorseal or Anchorseal 2?

Started by Brad_bb on Sawmills and Milling

16 Replies
Last post April 08, 2017, 09:14:42 PM
by flatrock58
xx
anchorseal

Started by redpowerd on General Board

5 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 03:25:17 PM
by metalspinner