The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: dolmar/makita 64xx/79xx stupid rich and no longer runs correctly after 3 years  (Read 154 times)

Offline logicallycompromised

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
hello good sirs and misses,
this saw has been bullet proof over the last 3+ years with minimal carburetor adjustments throughout the season.  about 5 months back i helped a friend drop a 9" hickory tree leaning over his house.  the saw started minto pinto like every other time in the last 3 years.  i set the ropes as the saw warmed up and made my notch than tuned the saw off for a teaching moment.  well the saw has not run correctly since.  couple of things i noticed upon pulling the carburetor apart. the reinforced looking semi transparent diaphragm was stretched out so i ordered carburetor kit to replace it.  i just installed the new kit and found it odd there was no welch plug observed.  i had previously never taken the carburetor apart outside of about 1 week ago and am pretty sure i did not observe it then either nor could it have been misplaced.  i just pressed the one the kit provided into place with excitement to have the ol girl back and was disappointed again.  the closest i can get to running is with the low side all the way bottomed out and the choke idle throttle adjustment being used with choke pushed all the way in(provide slightly open throttle without choke plate activated).  i can not get the saw to cough without the aforementioned combination and when it does run it sounds absolutely terrible.  during starting it will pith fuel out of compression release, muffler and intake.

what could be causing this rich condition?  do welch plugs dissolve(seemed to be aluminum but trying to explain where mine could have gone)?  i think the carburetor needs them maybe i need to try and seal where the welch plug was pressed in better.  seems that is the likely suspect as of now, i think without the welch plug there or sealing correctly the venturi created in carburetor will draw in extra fuel as the saw runs, no?

please help get the ol girl and i back on good terms.  thank you for your time!

Offline Allar

• Full Member x2
  • Firewood Warrior!
    • Share Post
Pull the muffler and take a look at piston.
Firewood & Chainsaw videos: Firewood Warrior - YouTube

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
Something is screwed up, welch plug just do not disappear ever so some how or way if it gone it had help doing that, have seen very few like 2 or 3 welch plugs that fell out but the welch plug would still be in carb just not in the proper hole and those were because someone rebuilt the carb and did not put welch plug back in proper . I would think you need to get carb rebuilt properly . Gas pouring threw motor sounds like the needle in the needle and seat is not set correctly or maybe the spring is broken that sits under the needle and seat arm or got crap on needle where it cannot seat proper and regulate the fuel flow

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Makita-DOLMAR saws

Started by aom on Chainsaws

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2006, 07:28:01 AM
by SawTroll
xx
running dolmar,makita 401

Started by limbrat on Wanted

0 Replies
Last post March 18, 2013, 04:53:54 PM
by limbrat
xx
Dolmar 420 or Makita 4301

Started by Greenerpastures on Chainsaws

9 Replies
Last post June 20, 2018, 12:57:54 PM
by hedgerow
xx
Makita DCS 400 Chain Saw / Dolmar 34/45 ( so iv'e been told ???? )

Started by Whitty on Chainsaws

7 Replies
Last post November 30, 2015, 03:48:16 PM
by dougand3