The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: Basswood  (Read 2131 times)

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Re: Basswood
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2019, 06:58:51 PM »
   I should finish sawing tomorrow. I sawed 2 small 8', then several 4', a 6' and a 5' log today. One more 5', a couple of 3' and a crotch about 30" or so. There is a market for these small pieces for carvers so I am saving it all.

Several of these 4' "logs". Hardest part is loading as too short for my loader. I put one end on the loader, lift part way then lift other end my hand.

Assorted 4' lumber pieces. Good thing about 4' lumber as they stack well end to end on my 8' loads.

My lone 6' log

One of my 5' pieces. Looked good but some rot inside I had to trim around. These will match up with some 3' for stacking.

Flat stacked 5& 6' pieces to prevent double handling. Will finish 3' and stack all tomorrow.

I notice the wood comes off white but turns a reddish tint pretty quickly.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline GAB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2019, 07:32:26 PM »
When the loader arms are too far apart, for a short log, I place two boards on the loader arms and then load the log on top and proceed to load with the log lifter.  I do the same thing with large burls.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34 w/6' ext & SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2019, 10:02:16 PM »
Gerald,

I have done that and may have to do that with a big crotch tomorrow. These were small enough I could lift one end with the arms and the other up to the tire then lift or roll it on to rails and scoot it around till it would clamp. A couple times I had to grab a scrap sticker sized stick off the ever-growing scrap pile to level the log since both toeboards were inaccessible for these short "logs". 

I guess if I did enough of the short logs I'd fabricate a solid plate of some kind to slip over the arms to close that gap. It would work just as well if it were solid. I guess I could even use wraps of cable or chain to close the gap. I may experiment and if it works I'll send the design to WM and surely they will send me some money. With my luck they would name it after me and that would be my compensation. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2019, 06:30:11 PM »
   I got out and loaded a large 3' long crotch with John, sawed a few pieces of 8/4 from one side then rolled it off the mill when I tried to turn it over. Had to load it like GAB described earlier. Had to trim out a good bit due to a split in the wood. Then loaded a 5' top and encountered rot and lost more there. Finally sawed a 42" piece and had to trim off one end of that. Yield was only 93 bf and hardly worth the effort but I am done. I think total yield for the whole tree was around 1,085 bf. There is still the big 8' butt log up in the woods if I get in the mood and right conditions to try to salvage it.

I have 2 stacks and decent air flow with a box fan running between them but I will likely build another stacking pallet or two and restack everything. Because of cutting over different days I have a hodge podge of widths. One row will be a single 16/4 plank 18" wide on top of a 22" row of 8/4 and under a 20" row of 4/4. I may just dismantle them, flat stack by different thicknesses and restack to standard full 24" widths on each level. That will make them prettier and possibly easier to access in the future.

Contrary crotch - sawed a few cuts, moved the claw and it shifted, went to back out and band pulled off, finally got it out, then it rolled off the mill. Actually did yield some pretty pieces in the end once the splits were trimmed out.

5' top. See knothole at end - rot under there. just sawed to 4/4 boards in the end.

Sawed one other 42" piece then trimmed to 3' and 4/4 boards from it. Total yield with 1.2 hours on the mill for my efforts. My mama said there would be days like that.
Howard Green

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2019, 07:41:34 PM »
   Okay, I will likely restack one of these days pretty soon but decided I was not really too embarrassed to post the current stacking and stickering job. My layers weave in and out a bit because at the time I stacked I did not always have enough to finish a 24" layer of a specific cut so you may see a single 18" plank underneath a 10" & a 12", etc. With more/all the wood available now I can make more full width shelves/rows. I have 2 more skids about ready to use as time and weather permit.

Howard Green

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
  • Life is what you make it!
    • Share Post
    • Dave and Joan's sugarhouse web site
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2019, 11:49:14 AM »
I felled 3 large Basswood stems about 18 months ago. I contacted 2 sawmills to see if they were interested in them. I had no interest in milling them, so I've been bucking them and making evaporator fuel. Have not burned any yet. But even after cutting the end blocks off that had been anchor sealed I did not see mold forming. Again, I only made it into firewood just to use it up.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed,  Peterson ATS upgraded to WPF mill, maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2019, 12:38:45 PM »
Maple,

I can't swear this is going to work out real well for me either but have you contacted local woodcarvers? It is pretty easy to find them on line. I do know basswood is not great firewood. Some of the wide 3 and 4 inch thick pieces might also go as fireplace mantels too. Of course if I had planned to advertise them as mantels I would have left at least one side as live edge but some people want squared off mantels. One of these days I am going to replace my 3"X 12" X 8' walnut mantel with one that is live edge. Whoever gets the old one is going to get one well seasoned and heat dried piece of wood. 

Good luck on your BW. I'd hate to see it go to waste.
Howard Green

Offline brianJ

• Full Member x2
  • Only get excersize if I choose the right hobby
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2019, 12:52:39 PM »
Im with you Maple Flats.   Just get them out the way.   Basswood has less firewood value than most of the pines even.   Pretty much just throwing it in the stove and right up the chimney.    

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2019, 01:14:25 PM »
Brian,

Did you ever mill any basswood and try to market it in your area? Just wondering why you seem to have a low opinion of it. 
Howard Green

Online YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2019, 02:15:07 PM »
Interesting.  Here, basswood logs bring better price than poplar and 4 CF logs are pretty rare.  Its a niche product but a mainstay for professional cabinet makers and carvers.   

I just passed a job on to a buddy of mine who is a lumber wholesaler a couple months ago.  A relatively famous customer in Ms, who sells hand carved decoys on TV shows, needed several thousand bdft per month, every month, forever, of thick 12/4 clear stock, kiln dried, for his decoy carving company.  I simply couldnt begin to fill his order from lack of high grade logs so referred him to a friend.  The decoy company owner said wooden decoys are getting popular again as plastic is falling out of favor, and he cant get enough basswood.  I told him I had a couple pallets of 12/4 and 8/4 and he said OK, Ill take those now, what about next month?     

The power of the internet, advertising reaches a lot of different customers in a large area.  
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline alan gage

• Share Post
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2019, 02:32:20 PM »
I keep hoping to come across some good basswood here. There's quite a bit of it but most of it isn't very nice, or is somewhere I can't cut it, or is already rotten on the ground. I know of two big trees with broken tops I could probably have but I'm assuming the tops broke off due to rot and that it probably goes right down to the stump.

I'd use it as a lightweight wood for projects and cabinets but mostly I hope to get back into strip canoe building one of these days and it would be nice to mill my own logs rather than buying expensive western red cedar. Basswood isn't much heavier.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2019, 04:33:02 PM »
I sawed some 3 years ago and had it on FB market place for sale.
Then some 20 something kid trolled my post and said good luck selling that junk we put that stuff trough the chipper .
I told him you leaving money in the woods then.
I had no problem selling it after I knew who to market it to.
Wood burning art folks and carvers.
I have one wood burner how says they will buy it any time I can get it.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls Riehl Steel edger,F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2019, 05:01:56 PM »
Alan.

This tree had a big cavity (Was a real nice den tree for squirrels and coons and such) mid way up but the bottom 30 feet or more were very sound and I got some good but smaller wood above the cavity.

Yellowhammer,

A big old War Eagle happy Birthday to you there. 

Bruno,

Feel free to tell that customer how nice it is in southern WV this time of year. Tell to drive his truck and pull a trailer. I'll fight the mud and go back up and get that big butt log still on the rootball.
Howard Green

Online YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2019, 05:35:28 PM »
Thanks the birthday wishes, Roll Tide.
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Online Clark

• Share Post
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2019, 06:07:42 PM »
That is very interesting YH. We grow quality basswood up here but nobody looks at it that way because it is only basswood. As a forester, I dont really care what the species is when I find a tree that is growing arrow straight and no branches for 50 I am interested in growing more of them. The market may eventuallly come around but even if it doesnt Ill get more satisfaction out of growing them.

The tallest basswood Ive measured around here was 108 tall with many over 100. No other hardwood species around here will come close to doing that.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
ID Ash and Basswood

Started by wheelinguy on Ask The Forester

34 Replies
Last post April 17, 2012, 06:15:51 PM
by cutterboy
xx
basswood

Started by nas on Timber Framing/Log construction

5 Replies
Last post September 18, 2008, 09:59:25 PM
by nas