The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Dumb Question - When To Put Potted Alberta Spruce In The Ground?  (Read 300 times)

Offline lxskllr

• dummy with saw
    • Share Post
Dumb Question - When To Put Potted Alberta Spruce In The Ground?
« on: February 02, 2019, 09:20:41 AM »
I got a little Alberta spruce from the grocery store this year, and I want to put it in front of my fallen oak trunk, which I'm keeping on the ground. If it lasts, I bought some solar jul lights I'm gonna decorate it with next year, and I'll be able to see it from my house  :^D

When's a good time to put it in the ground? This is Maryland. Currently the ground is frozen, and has snow on it. Is waiting for the ground to soften enough to dig sufficient, or should the tree have sustained warmth after transplanting? The place I've chosen is sub optimal, but it's where I want it. If it doesn't live, oh well. I can decorate my dawn redwoods while they're still little.

Offline Clark

• Share Post
Re: Dumb Question - When To Put Potted Alberta Spruce In The Ground?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 08:50:43 PM »
I’m guessing the “Alberta” spruce is a hybrid between white and Englemen spruce...but who knows?

The western conifers don’t tend to do well in the east. Soils are a bit too acidic here, if I understand it correctly. I don’t recall or know of any Englemen spruce planted here. Blue spruce is common but I wouldn’t expect any blue spruce genes to be part of an “Alberta” spruce.

White spruce may do well for you but I wouldn’t recommend it as a yard tree. The form of white spruce is highly variable and occasionally produces a nice looking tree. 

To answer your question, keep the tree cool and plant it as soon as the ground is thawed. Transplanting the tree while it is dormant is best. 

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Offline lxskllr

• dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 07:55:38 AM »
Thanks. This is that little spruce you see as a garden decoration. It has the "fuzzy" coat of needles, and max out at about 12' tall, taking forever to get there. I did a little reading reading on it, and it said it liked acidic well drained soil. The well drained will be a bit of a problem, but I can do acidic. I have a ton of coffee grinds in my compost pile, and I was gonna mix them in generously with the clayish native soil when I planted it. It might not do well. but it was only a $10 tree I bought on a whim. I'll wait til the threat of hard freeze is done, then stick it in the ground.

Offline RPF2509

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 03:19:08 PM »
Most conifers like the soil to be above 40 degrees before they will start to grow roots.  Since it will be in your yard planting a little later would be ok

Offline firefighter ontheside

• I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 11:12:45 PM »
  This is a dwarf Alberta spruce.  It is a dwarf variataion of white spruce that was discovered in Alberta.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD

Offline bitternut

• Share Post
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 05:05:32 PM »
The dwarf Alberta Spruce is a common tree sold in local nurseries in Western NY. We planted one on each side of the large family tombstone marker at the cemetary. They are nice for that application as they grow slow, have nice form and require little care to look nice. The needles are very prickly though. I get stuck with them every spring when planting flowers around the stone. >:( That must be why the deer don't seem to touch them. :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Potted soil prep for bare root stock

Started by Brad_S. on Ask The Forester

2 Replies
Last post March 26, 2008, 09:21:14 PM
by HOOF-ER
xx
dumb question

Started by thedeeredude on General Board

13 Replies
Last post July 18, 2005, 08:43:16 AM
by Jeff