The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Black Locust  (Read 939 times)

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Black Locust
« on: February 03, 2019, 11:36:37 AM »
I stumbled on some black locust for the first time.
Wow what a great firewood!
I gave a friend of mine 1/2 of what I had for helping me out this fall with the firewood business. 
The tree company dropped it off.
I don't know where it came from.
I would like to find more for next year.
It's makes great heat and coals.
thomas 8013 mill ,Mahindra 3540 cab tractor loader  Dump trailer  and lot of contracting tools

Offline Southside logger

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
Re: Black Locust
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 12:54:59 PM »
You could probably sell it as fence posts for a lot more than it's worth as firewood. They last forever.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline lxskllr

• dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 01:05:22 PM »
You could probably sell it as fence posts for a lot more than it's worth as firewood. They last forever.
I have four huge locusts next to my drive that my boss wants for fence posts, but they aren't for sale at any price  :^D
It does make nice firewood. I've had some in the past that I scavenged from job sites. Burns hot and long  :^)

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 01:06:17 PM »
Yep, $135/ton in 7' sections if they are sound.  Only issue burning it is the smell, not so pleasant but in a woodstove or boiler it is fine.
Liking Walnut

Offline Kindlinmaker

• Share Post
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 09:44:02 PM »
Hottest burning firewood we have in the upper Mid-Atlantic area (and we have a fairly wide variety of species).  It will burn pretty well green but generally produces a heavy creosote chimney coating. Most experienced black locust burners dry for a minimum 2 years vs. the standard 1 year for other hardwoods.  My clay tile chimney has virtually no build-up from other hardwoods after 1 - 2 years continuous winter burning. Same tiles look like they have been coated with black glass after burning a season of black locust. Still like the black locust heat but I try to mix with other hardwoods.  We mill all of the big ones for exposure use lumber but yields are very low because of their “lobe” growth shape. All the scraps find the stove so nothing gets wasted. Friends fight over our locust slab wood when we have extra. 

Offline hedgerow

• Share Post
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 09:55:36 PM »
Its pretty much what I have been burning the last couple of years as I cleared an area in my pasture that had a lot of black locust in it. The locust I am currently burning has been seasoned for two years and it is burning real nice in the Garn. I have a fair amount of hedge {Osage Orange} on the same farm so if I need post I make them out of hedge. 

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 10:15:34 PM »
I usually burn standing dead locust. It goes into the stove that night. If it has been laying on the ground it might get seasoned a little while. We've been cutting, splitting and delivering trailerloads like that without problems. I'm sure live locust would take a bit but there is so much dead around there isn't much need to burn a live one. I've never cleaned the chimney, it doesn't creosote but I burn dry and don't choke a stove at all.
A laborer works with his hands
A craftsman uses his brain and his hands
An artist uses his brain, his hands, and his heart

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 10:28:20 PM »
   It is a preferred firewood around here because of the high heat and low ash results but I almost cry when I see it advertised. I went over to see my next door neighbor yesterday and he was unloading a truckload of it. If it will make a fence post I save mine for that and if it will make a pole I cut it 15' long. My wood storage pole barn has locust uprights and I built a firewood shed with 4 decent locust uprights last year. I just square them on the mill for a flat nailing surface. I also have 2 shooting houses/deer blinds (one is 6'X8' and the other is 6'X6') built on locust poles. I sold nearly 600 posts and 20 poles for a pole barn 4-5 years ago. The lady who bought the poles could have gotten treated 6X6 cheaper but wanted locust. One guy hired a trucker who came over 250 miles to get them and take them back to the coastal area of Va.

Its your wood. Use it however it does best for you.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 07:35:48 AM »
Agreed, it gets graded into 3 uses here, the good straight solid wood goes to construction. If those open up to doty sections it is a raised bed timber, the rest is firewood. I'll firewood it down to about 2" branchwood for our stove.  Fenceposts would be another grade you can pull out of the mix.

This is a recent truckload of firewood grade. These were trees that had overtaken an old pasture. It is a short lived colonizer. These trees are mostly dead standing. I flipped them out with the loader last summer and we've been chewing up the pile this winter as well as dropping some of the larger ones I couldn't flip. We also have another couple of honey holes where they were pushed out while fencing and need to be removed from those neglected pastures. In my woods they have died out as the canopy has closed over them which is very common. The old timers say open grown locust is different from woods grown. Generally if they have conchs on them they are firewood the heart rot is already there. You can see that on the truck.

A laborer works with his hands
A craftsman uses his brain and his hands
An artist uses his brain, his hands, and his heart

Offline moodnacreek

• Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 09:01:58 AM »
Most of my fire wood is locust slab wood. The best firewood [ other than fruitwoods] is hickory cut live and split and stacked in the shed for 2 years. It can burn through the side of the stove.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 11:01:43 PM »
   I love black locust. Green they smell like fresh picked raw peanuts. One bad feature is they are shallow rooted and they grow on steep slopes. In winters we often have several days of soaking rain that seriously softens the ground then we have a hard ice storm and the locusts are among the first to uproot. When one falls it will take down 2-3 below it which take down the ones below them in a domino effect. I have seen long strips where the whole mountainside got uprooted. Looked like where I used to hunt in S. Ala where a tornado I had come through and taken out a path.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 07:20:30 PM »
I know you guys are probably more careful than me and never get splinters, but I find that locust splinters tend to fester and get sore much worse than oaks or maples.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline hedgerow

• Share Post
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 11:24:59 AM »
I know you guys are probably more careful than me and never get splinters, but I find that locust splinters tend to fester and get sore much worse than oaks or maples.
I was just loading the Garn over the weekend with locust and didn't put my gloves on and got a splinter and now its festered up. It reminds you in a hurry to put your gloves on. Hedge is bad that way too. 

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 09:54:18 AM »
Helps push the splinter out.  :D

Offline doctorb

• Administrator
  • Unofficial Team Physician
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 09:41:30 PM »
No argument here.  My favorite firewood.  Splits easily, lasts forever stacked.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Offline OntarioAl

• Share Post
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2019, 04:33:47 PM »
Well Folks
Black Locust is considered an invasive species in Ontario :o :o
Just blew me away
Attached is the bureaucrat's reasoning
 http://www.ontarioinvasiveplants.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Black_Locust_BMP.pdf
Al
Al Raman

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2019, 07:17:53 PM »
I ended up with the black locusts from the tree company. 
I dont know where it came from.
I want more but it's hard to come by around my area.
It makes the best coals of any firewood I have ever burned.
thomas 8013 mill ,Mahindra 3540 cab tractor loader  Dump trailer  and lot of contracting tools

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
dumb question: honey locust or black locust?

Started by Dan_Shade on Tree, Plant and Wood I.D.

23 Replies
Last post March 10, 2006, 07:45:23 PM
by SwampDonkey
xx
Black Locust

Started by Trax on Sawmills and Milling

19 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 09:00:29 AM
by Magicman
xx
Black Locust

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD on Sawmills and Milling