The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: 2020 7.3 ford  (Read 4358 times)

Offline Riwaka

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: 2020 7.3 ford
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2019, 06:45:54 PM »
Ford 2020 super duty trucks  (7.3 liter gas - have to look through and see what the gpf etc is, latest Bosch? injectors etc?)

Kenworth hauling RV trailer (what a few pickup drivers would prefer to have?)

Cummins diesel into ex-powerstroke Ford 2004.
FUMMINS DIESEL SWAP: 5.9 Cummins in an '04 Ford F350 (Part 1) - YouTube

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2019, 06:46:54 PM »
I'd rather pay the tax man then buy something I don't need (thus spending thousands to save pennies). If it's something I need (like the new round baler I bought this year) then that's different. Since my old 7.3 truck gets me from a to b without issues replacing it isn't something I need to do.

Also don't like spending money on things that don't provide a return and make me money. Pickup truck doesn't really make me any money (other than hauling hay home). So its last on the list for an upgrade.

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2019, 06:57:11 PM »
Hoping to have the issue this year...lots of things that would make life easier.  First I need 8000 blueberry plants and a new irrigation system.  Then a new retail barn/event place, then a greenhouse...then maybe new SUV for the farm...a model X   ;D.  Thats a long list.
Liking Walnut

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2019, 06:57:55 PM »
83 F250, 86 international, 74 kenworth and a 97 cummins.    Theyre all old junk but theyre all pretty simple too.  I never look at flashing lights telling me i have a problem anymore. 

Well, unless its DOT  ;)
Revelation 3:20

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2019, 07:15:50 PM »
Hoping to have the issue this year...lots of things that would make life easier.  First I need 8000 blueberry plants and a new irrigation system.  Then a new retail barn/event place, then a greenhouse...then maybe new SUV for the farm...a model X   ;D.  Thats a long list.
dont you know the only place real blueberrys are grown is maine? on the news last summer they interviewed one of the bigger outfits. they were going to harvest 25000 ac so i would assume they own at least 50000. since they harvest every other year. the off year they used to burn the fields now some use fail mowers. when i was in  high school i worked for a blue berry co before it was time to rake we did what they called kill bushing. spray the brush in the fields with herbicide and fuel oil lots of oil. today the fields are just as green as ever 

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2019, 07:21:09 PM »
Hoping to have the issue this year...lots of things that would make life easier.  First I need 8000 blueberry plants and a new irrigation system.  Then a new retail barn/event place, then a greenhouse...then maybe new SUV for the farm...a model X   ;D.  Thats a long list.
dont you know the only place real blueberrys are grown is maine? on the news last summer they interviewed one of the bigger outfits. they were going to harvest 25000 ac so i would assume they own at least 50000. since they harvest every other year. the off year they used to burn the fields now some use fail mowers. when i was in  high school i worked for a blue berry co before it was time to rake we did what they called kill bushing. spray the brush in the fields with herbicide and fuel oil lots of oil. today the fields are just as green as ever
I grew up close to blueberry fields of NC.  Organic matter on sand will grow good berries!  NJ, MI, ME, and NC used to be it but now FL is a big force with rabbit eyes specially breed to flower and set with little cold.  
Mine will be three highbush species with about a 6 week harvest period.  Hey got to take advantage of being close to DC, upick prices are more than the grocery.  
Liking Walnut

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2019, 07:26:04 PM »
My brother is on a sandy mountaintop in central mass and has a very productive little blueberry patch with epic delicious berries.  Im jealous of his pancakes.  They beat my wild blackberry pancakes hands down.   Thinking theres got to be a way to sweeten up the blackberries. Theyve got a very short window between unripe, bitter and past ripe, bitter.  Maybe 1 or 2 days of sweet flavor. 

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2019, 07:27:05 PM »
the berry biz has changed a lot here. the days of raking by hand are about over. the rocks got taken out so they can mechanical harvest. and with a tractor they can out run the bears. bears love berrys.  

Online firefighter ontheside

• I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2019, 07:59:57 PM »
.What kind of mileage is a 7.3 gas engine gonna have?  Will it be better than a diesel?  I doubt it, but maybe.

I had a 2002 F250 with a 7.3.  I Loved that truck, but needed a bigger back seat.  Then a 2008 F250 with a 6.4.  That as a great truck.  New injectors at 150,000.

Now Iíve got an F350 with 6.7. Wanted a bigger truckk to pull my camper and logs.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2019, 04:15:34 AM »
nativewolf, if you want to go into CTL logging, you better dig deep and find your inner mechanical inclination!😁😁
Too many irons in the fire

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2019, 05:50:58 AM »
nativewolf, if you want to go into CTL logging, you better dig deep and find your inner mechanical inclination!😁😁
:D I did...it is called service contract.  For small things like hoses, etc that is ok, for more important repairs it will be a purchased service contract...and new equipment.
Liking Walnut

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2019, 06:27:31 AM »
be sure and let us know how that works out for you

Offline Skeans1

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2019, 06:52:15 AM »
:D I did...it is called service contract.  For small things like hoses, etc that is ok, for more important repairs it will be a purchased service contract...and new equipment.
Time is money and if they need to drive out to you from where ever two or three days can kill quick. New equipment is great till that payment is looking at you saying feed me or Iíll eat you alive, a low hour used machine is going to be just as good or better plus no reason you canít get a service contract on one either.

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2019, 08:18:06 AM »
Yep time is money.  I don't know..we have crap for mechanics locally.  I'm a forester/consultant not a mechanic.  My operators are not mechanics.  It is what it is.  I have to move faster, much faster if I am going to hit numbers i would like to see.  I was fortunate to get to see an emergency repair go bad and get resolved.  That was helpful, being there in the field when it was happening.  I know I might be down a day or two but I think I would be down a few days or months waiting on some local yahoo.  Right now I am missing my good buddy that recently passed away far too soon. But he's passed and I haven't found anyone else like him.  

We are actually looking at slightly used demo stuff, a hundred hours, etc. Anyway, back to the ford 7.3  the reason i am interested in the older low miles diesel ones is that they are reasonably trouble free in major components.  But they no longer look so cheap.

My old 1990 Hino looks better and better.  
Liking Walnut

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2019, 09:13:11 AM »
Vehicle wise, sometimes the devil ya know is better than the one ya dont i guess.  No guarantees in life, just gotta keep chippin away at it anyhow. 

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2019, 05:03:55 PM »
I read an article in the Yankee magazine that most of Maine's blueberry go in frozen food products and dry cereal. 
I plowed snow with a F350 first year 7.3 with stick shift for many years.
It would push some snow across the big parking lots and sream some hammering back in reverse .
thomas 8013 mill ,Mahindra 3540 cab tractor loader  Dump trailer  and lot of contracting tools

Online firefighter ontheside

• I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2019, 05:57:19 PM »
Biggest problem I remember with the 7.3 was the cam sensor, but that was an easy fix on the side of the road.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2019, 07:10:53 PM »
Biggest problem I remember with the 7.3 was the cam sensor, but that was an easy fix on the side of the road.
there is still an open recall on that

Offline ohiowoodchuck

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2019, 07:22:10 PM »
I got a 2000 model 7.3. The block cracked at the cylinder wall around 276k  I found another motor that was in a fire with 175k put some gaskets in it and set it back down in and fired it up. I done it on a weekend in the backyard. Wasnt a big deal at all  truck has 340k on it now. I think the drivetrain is going to outlast the body  oh well. This new 7.3 is a big block replacement for the v10 they discounted a few years back. Not everybody wants to own a diesel and are completely happy with a gas truck. I've had diesels for the last 16 years and I can tell you I've just about had enough. Between the dead dual batteries to the hard to start when it's cold out to the cold drive to work because it takes 45 minutes to get warm heat in the cab  the double the amount of oil and the to small of a unit bearing for the weight up front  I dont think it's really worth it anymore. Diesel use to be way cheaper then gas but now since every soccer mom owns one to haul groceries   it's always more expensive then gas. 
Education is the best defense against the media.

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2019, 07:31:38 PM »
@ohiowoodchuck I hear you on the diesels.  In fact a large gas engine with good torque would likely be more than fine for me.  However, i wouldn't want to be owners int he first year or two, then I need for them to sit out and get tested for 3-4 years then I'd know if it is a dud or not and then I'd be willing to buy a new or used.  That puts that out 5 years or so and I need a truck (or two) this year.  I'll keep looking..
Liking Walnut

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
2020 ford f....

Started by snowstorm on Forestry and Logging

0 Replies
Last post March 06, 2019, 06:48:22 AM
by snowstorm
xx
B-Mill 2020

Started by dad2nine on Sawmills and Milling

2 Replies
Last post February 05, 2009, 07:40:54 AM
by Papa1stuff