The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Maple Syrup 2019  (Read 10250 times)

Offline Plankton

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Maple Syrup 2019
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2019, 06:55:08 PM »
Small operation running 400 taps on 10 ac. I've got to thin it out according to the management plan I developed with my forester. Planned on logging this winter but it's sugar season and I cut maybe 10 trees. It's just plain hard to cut a maple ;D.

Very cool! I live just a little west of you in charlemont. I agree it's hard to put a saw in maple trees but it does get you more sap when they recover and start growing hard.

I had a logging job for some guy and in addition to it he wanted me to cut a row of field edge sugars probably around 200 years old for his solar panels! If I didnt do it someone else would and I ended up buying the logs from him and getting them sawed so they wouldnt go to waste. But boy was that hard to set the saw in those old beauties.

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2019, 07:45:09 AM »
If we don't get rained out today, we'll put our barrels out, and tap tomorrow and Saturday!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Offline mitchstockdale

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2019, 09:54:50 AM »
Does anyone still tap trees with just spiles and buckets? Understandably this would be just for personal use not commercial.
Do today what others wont, so you can do tomorrow what others cant.

Kubota MX5200 / Woodland Mills HM126 / Stihl MS361

Offline hamish

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2019, 01:52:14 PM »
Does anyone still tap trees with just spiles and buckets? Understandably this would be just for personal use not commercial.
I do every year, usually max out at 150 taps.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Offline mitchstockdale

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2019, 01:55:26 PM »
Hamish,  How do you collect your buckets?  I have been looking for supplies but haven't been able to find any..

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2019, 02:41:13 PM »
Small operation running 400 taps on 10 ac. I've got to thin it out according to the management plan I developed with my forester. Planned on logging this winter but it's sugar season and I cut maybe 10 trees. It's just plain hard to cut a maple ;D.

Very cool! I live just a little west of you in charlemont. I agree it's hard to put a saw in maple trees but it does get you more sap when they recover and start growing hard.

I had a logging job for some guy and in addition to it he wanted me to cut a row of field edge sugars probably around 200 years old for his solar panels! If I didnt do it someone else would and I ended up buying the logs from him and getting them sawed so they wouldnt go to waste. But boy was that hard to set the saw in those old beauties.
So a general question.  Does a really old large sugar maple like that support several taps?  Or ?  I looked at a property not far from me and they had some big ol sugar maple yard trees, very unusual here.  Several young ones in the woods (12-20").  
Liking Walnut

Offline Plankton

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2019, 07:43:13 PM »
It all depends buckets,gravity or vacuum. Buckets nice big trees can take 3 to get the same amount of sap as one or two taps on high vacuum. The best set up woods I work on have one tap on trees up to around 30 dbh then 3 on the giant spreading old growth trees.

A tight and sterile system only need two holes In those big ones to get same amount of sap as mr.podunker down the road with sagging gravity tubing and 4 taps on a 20" tree and 6 on a big one.

They can take more taps and pump a lot more sap then small trees, but theres a limit to how many holes you want to put in a tree a year. I've worked in some woods that were or still are over tapped and you can see it in the trees. Lots of unhealed holes and dead or dying trees all throughout the bush. New tubing and way smaller drop count and the producers made more syrup then ever before on almost half the taps.

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2019, 08:08:42 PM »
It all depends buckets,gravity or vacuum. Buckets nice big trees can take 3 to get the same amount of sap as one or two taps on high vacuum. The best set up woods I work on have one tap on trees up to around 30 dbh then 3 on the giant spreading old growth trees.

A tight and sterile system only need two holes In those big ones to get same amount of sap as mr.podunker down the road with sagging gravity tubing and 4 taps on a 20" tree and 6 on a big one.

They can take more taps and pump a lot more sap then small trees, but theres a limit to how many holes you want to put in a tree a year. I've worked in some woods that were or still are over tapped and you can see it in the trees. Lots of unhealed holes and dead or dying trees all throughout the bush. New tubing and way smaller drop count and the producers made more syrup then ever before on almost half the taps.
Ahh interesting.  I have always wanted to tap some trees and the whole business is fascinating.  Maybe next year i may be able to buy a small maple forest up your way.
Liking Walnut

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2019, 08:34:08 AM »
We got our barrels in place on Thursday and yesterday and today, I'm under the weather, caught a cold and now I'm achy and have a constant drip!

Yesterday, my brother and his Son in law got over half of the taps done and will be working on the rest of them today!

I'm not even going to go out of the house today except to check the mail, and even that is a MAYBE!
~Chuck~
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2019, 07:11:23 PM »
My partner and I are both going away for a vacation. I am back on the 8th , he is back on the 20th of March.
We decided to tap on Thursday in the cold. 225 taps on tubing. Wneh I get back I will dig in the tanks and get the pump up and running. 
Our best runs have always been the last week of March and 1st week of April. 
We are hoping we do not miss to much by being away. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2019, 08:16:04 PM »
Supposed to be a cold spell coming up in a few days, it's likely to last a while!

We kind of think we'll get less syrup this year than last!

Good thing we don't do it for business!  ;)
~Chuck~

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2019, 09:07:31 AM »
Supposed to be a cold spell coming up in a few days, it's likely to last a while!

We kind of think we'll get less syrup this year than last!

Good thing we don't do it for business!  ;)
I always find a great year is followed by a not so good year.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2019, 09:27:00 AM »
 Last yr was not a good yr for us,and this yr I think won't be that great also with little snow around the trees. Anyways I would to find a new back pan for my set up. It's a water-loo small 2x6 pan with raised flue. Not in a rush I think the pan now will be ok this yr but will need a newer one for next yr. Let me know if you hear of one for sale. Thanks.
Ed K

Offline celliott

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2019, 05:15:14 PM »
Ed, you spoke about not having much snow around the trees and a bad season, we have the opposite problem. The roots sometimes never thaw very well. We pull spouts on snowshoes sometimes. Anyways.

A few more photos.
This is our north pump station. It is located at the northern end of our property, and will service about 12,000 taps this season. We have more to add next year, eventually we will have probably 16-18,000 taps at this station.
We supply vacuum with a 3” line from our main station which is 10,000 ft (pipe length) away, with 3, 25hp Busch screw pumps. A 2” pump line follows the same 10,000’ route and we pump the sap uphill, then it gravity feeds to our main station, where it is pumped 8000’ to the sugarhouse.
We reused a 5000 gallon milk truck tank, and have a diesel generator to run the releaser and transfer pump.
Oh yeah, it snows a little up here.

And some tidy up work at our main station for the twin 3” pump lines that carry every single drop of sap this year to the sugarhouse.

You can see the generator in the background, that’s a new addition for this station. Standby only. We had an incident last season where we lost power while pumping sap on a cold night, and it slushed and froze solid in the pipe. Bad news.

And our re-configured hydra releaser.

That’s all I got for now guys. We’re still waiting on a sap run, and the long range forecast looks pretty cold for our location. Which is ok, we still have about 16,000 left to tap, and after that we’re gonna run more tubing, see if we can get 10,000 more new taps tubed and drilled. Ready for it to be done snowing that’s for sure.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2019, 07:52:24 AM »
Celliott, your on the west slope of the green mts right? I can see where you'd have a LOT of snow coming off the lakes :(. I think that this coming week will be the turn around for sap runs. Could be like last yr where the first 2 weeks of mar were froze solid. Good luck sugaring anyways.
Ed K

Offline millwright

• Share Post
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2019, 07:20:08 AM »
Weve got a monster amount of snow, and getting more every couple days. Ill start tapping next week, about 200 on bags and buckets. Putting tracks on the utv, otherwise Id probably have to wait till July to get in the woods.

Offline cbla

• Share Post
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2019, 07:40:56 AM »
Thinking about tapping in on march 2.  mitchstockdale, I will have 35 taps out this year all on buckets. I collect the sap in food grade 20L buckets with lids. usually there is snow at the camp and I strap the buckets on either a toboggan or in the snowmobile sled.

Offline mitchstockdale

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2019, 03:53:39 PM »
Thinking about tapping in on march 2.  mitchstockdale, I will have 35 taps out this year all on buckets. I collect the sap in food grade 20L buckets with lids. usually there is snow at the camp and I strap the buckets on either a toboggan or in the snowmobile sled.
Cool,  how many gallons would you get in a season? 

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2019, 09:23:40 PM »
We gathered around 300 gallons of sap yesterday and boiled it down today and made about 2 gallons of syrup.

We'll boil the remainder down tomorrow in the finishing pan and should get between 4 & 5 gallons.

Tested the sap this morning and it tested "just" under 2%!
~Chuck~

Offline cbla

• Share Post
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2019, 05:25:38 AM »
Thinking about tapping in on march 2.  mitchstockdale, I will have 35 taps out this year all on buckets. I collect the sap in food grade 20L buckets with lids. usually there is snow at the camp and I strap the buckets on either a toboggan or in the snowmobile sled.
Cool,  how many gallons would you get in a season?

Last year I made about 4.5 -5 ( 20 L) gallons of syrup on 24 taps. a lot of the sugar maples I have are in decline. This year I will tap 10 red maples that I have not tapped in the past.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Maple Syrup!

Started by jrose1970 on General Board

306 Replies
Last post March 22, 2019, 06:36:45 PM
by Chuck White
xx
Maple syrup....

Started by Mr Mom on General Board

12 Replies
Last post April 30, 2006, 03:33:30 PM
by SwampDonkey