The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Maple Syrup 2019  (Read 10327 times)

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
Re: Maple Syrup 2019
« Reply #140 on: March 25, 2019, 12:39:45 PM »
  We've got to close to 25 gallons of finished syrup now.  We're setting the canner up today.  We ran out of clean buckets last night with about 130 gallons of sap left.  Boil off rate was good last night.  Pulled 21 gallons of syrup from raw 2% sap in 6 hours.  Got to get the RO setup ;) ;D
  It'll run a little today with the sun.  It's cold but the edge trees will produce some.  Another 150 gallons of sap and we'll fire up.  Tomorrow should be alright and Wednesday looks good.  Not supposed to freeze Wednesday night.  Friday and beyond look good if you can believe the extended forecasts.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #141 on: March 25, 2019, 02:35:13 PM »
Too cold here today, was 12F this morning. ;) Although ,melting in the driveway on bare gravel. But I have not seen anyone next door boil yet. Definitely late up here. Last year, the day I dug all the foundations (June 3rd) for the new buildings it was 92 F. By the look of it, it will do the same this year, cold then wham, summer's here. :D I'm laughing as I type here, the sun is so powerful in the windows that it is 83F and no fire on. One of them windows is 7' by 9', lots of glass. ;D Been that way since Mid Feb on sunny days. :D
Move'n on.

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #142 on: March 25, 2019, 05:28:08 PM »
We had a good run here yesterday, so we gathered this morning and started the RO and then fired up the evaporator!

We drew off 18.5 gallons today, mostly light amber (delicate) and that brings our total this season to 89.8 gallons.

Hard to believe the forecasts anymore and all we can do is process what we get!

We'll be bottling more syrup tomorrow!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #143 on: March 26, 2019, 08:25:15 AM »
I am afraid of summer showing up to soon. We still have winter here, the lines are thawing in the sun but not a lot of sap yet. We pumped up and gathered in a snow storm sunday night, before the big freeze -18 C . We still do not have enought boil. Yesterday it wram up to 1C in the sun and hopefully warmer today, the vacuum is set up and we all ready to go. 
We are just praying we will get a spring before summer.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #144 on: March 26, 2019, 09:31:34 AM »
No sap here today, cold @ 10F over night. If we don't get 20's F at night, no sap coming the next day. Just came from the woodlot, still 2-3 feet of snow. Any warm spring that never froze last winter, you can sure tell the snow depth around it. Big sink holes and snow higher than your hips around it. :D

I gotta laugh at times. Someone will say they have 4 feet of snow and they get 3 days of warm weather and come back and say the snow is all gone. I never seen that happen here that quick in 52 years. Their 4 feet would have to be light stuff and the days was 75 degrees. :D Hard compacted snow piled up 4 feet with mild spells between to compact it, doesn't melt out here for weeks. :D
Move'n on.

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #145 on: March 26, 2019, 02:23:07 PM »
We got a small run sometime yesterday afternoon, but not enough to do anything with!

We bottled up 6 gallon, and 8 half gallon jugs this morning and filled one of the 15 gallon kegs!

We're likely to get another small run this afternoon, we'll see what tomorrow brings!
~Chuck~
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.

Offline dustintheblood

• Home in the woods
    • Share Post
« Reply #146 on: March 28, 2019, 12:51:40 AM »
Full steam ahead here for the past few days!

Got my RO setup figured out and loving it!!

Pics to come shortly
Case 1494, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln, plus other toys - cause well - gotta have something to play around on

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #147 on: March 28, 2019, 05:05:47 AM »
Been too cold here, yesterday was another 10F morning. It is finally going to warm up today to mid 40's and it was 24F this morning for a change. ;D
Move'n on.

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #148 on: March 28, 2019, 06:57:26 AM »
Sap ran good yesterday, Jack and I were both "under the weather" so that left Ken and he did the gathering and collected near 700 gallons and the rest will be gathered by us this morning!  Ken found a couple of helpers! 

We'll go over 100 gallons today, that's only 1/3 of what we made last season!  But, we also need to remember that we can only get what mother nature allows us to!
~Chuck~

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • made 70-11 and still feelin pretty darned good!
    • Share Post
« Reply #149 on: March 28, 2019, 08:11:56 AM »
Another ignorant question from a former producer.
Is there any flavor difference in RO produced syrup and other products?
We buy ours from my wife's cousin who boils the old fashioned way.
With the temps predicted here should be a good run today in CNY
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
241 acres of woodland

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #150 on: March 28, 2019, 11:40:27 AM »
Still winter, but it is leaving now. We had a small run yesterday and no freezing last night. I see the weather is changing today, high pressure coming with a freeze tonight 8) 8) 8)
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline dustintheblood

• Home in the woods
    • Share Post
« Reply #151 on: March 28, 2019, 01:19:07 PM »
Still winter, but it is leaving now. We had a small run yesterday and no freezing last night. I see the weather is changing today, high pressure coming with a freeze tonight 8) 8) 8)
It's so late here Ontario this year eh?
Case 1494, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln, plus other toys - cause well - gotta have something to play around on

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #152 on: March 28, 2019, 06:44:44 PM »
Pete; IMHO, yes there is a difference in flavor when sap is run through an RO, most notably when it is concentrated to 12% or higher sugar content!  The heavy MAPLE FLAVOR seems to be missing, but don't get me wrong, it's still very good!

We generally run our RO for a 4-5% concentrate!

With what sap was gathered yesterday and this morning, we ended up with near 1,500 gallons of sap.
We boiled it down and ended up with 32 gallons of syrup for the day, "our biggest day", 8)  8)  8) this brings our total for the season to 121.8 gallons!
~Chuck~

Offline Plankton

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #153 on: March 29, 2019, 09:32:09 AM »
Another ignorant question from a former producer.
Is there any flavor difference in RO produced syrup and other products?
We buy ours from my wife's cousin who boils the old fashioned way.
With the temps predicted here should be a good run today in CNY

I have found that it does above 10 to 12% the longer it cooks the more time it has to develop flavor. I work for a producer who is strictly bulk @26k taps and they have 2 ros and go to 20% admits he doesnt make the best syrup very little "maple" flavor but its fast on the steam pan and it's all a volume/time game.

Syrup from smaller producers who only ro to 10% or so tastes significantly better imo. Raw sap from buckets on a wood fired evap. Now your talking some flavor. Might be a myth but everyone in the syrup industry I know agrees that syrup from bucket sap tastes the best not sure why but it seems to.

On a side note looking like a short season here if the weather man is right were in for a fast and hard warmup that might bud the trees, there already starting too. Only got warm enough to run 2 weeks ago, nobody made syrup basically since the one early run in Feb. Not looking great for producers most I know have made 30 to 50% crop so far.

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #154 on: March 29, 2019, 09:02:47 PM »
We gathered sap again this morning, but only got 320 gallons, so we boiled it raw, no RO today!

We ended up making 12.9 gallons today and that gave us a season total of 135.5 gallons total production to date!

The lines dripped a little today, but nowhere near what you could call a run!

We'll see what tomorrow brings, might be a good day to sleep in a little!  ;)
~Chuck~

Offline celliott

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #155 on: March 29, 2019, 09:24:56 PM »
Preconceived notions and opinions, is what I have to say ;) seriously though, proctor maple research  did a blind taste test, and even professional tasters could tell no difference in how syrup was made. None. If you know where it came from or how it was made, well, your brain can make things taste like you think they should. 

Now, my opinion, high concentrate and fast evaporation rate dont work. You need time cooking in the pans to develop the carmelization, the maple flavor. You try running 30% through a modern high efficiency evaporator, it wont go well.

Our setup at the big woods. We concentrate to between 30-37% sugar. Thats around 2.5 gallons to 1 gallon syrup. Our evaporators are designed to be paired with the high brix reverse osmosis machines. They are 7ft wide and 20ft long. Setup about opposite of a conventional modern high efficiency evaporator, they are designed to boil slower. Our Cabot evaporator is a lapierre turbo 6x16, 12ft of flue pan with piggyback and steam away,and 4ft of flat, syrup pan. The Eden evaporators are 4ft of flue pan, no steam away, and 16ft of flat pan. 16 feet long by 7ft wide of slow evaporation surface area to develop good flavor. And I tell you what, it works very well. We have made amazing tasting syrup last year and this year. Efficiency and speed between the 6x16 conventional and the 7x20 high brix are nearly the same. High brix uses a little less oil but they can both make around 150 gallons per hour. 

The other big deal with the high brix evaporators is how easy and how well it can be cleaned. Who here has cleaned a flue pan? Not easy right? How often do you do it in a season?
We start each boil with a spotless evaporator. Pans totally cleaned. Everything is set up to be easy to clean. Clean in place wash hoods, wash tank to recirculate permeate water and acid water, we have air bags to raise one side of the evaporators to drain them. 
If its easy to clean, you will do it more often. And a clean evaporator goes a long way to a consistent, better product.

I invite anyone here to visit the sugarhouse and try our syrup, blind test or not. 

Sorry for the long winded post, I get asked often when its told we concentrate to 30%, doesnt that affect the flavor? Yeah, makes it better the way we do it :)

And yeah, havent updated in awhile. Been busy of course. In short were still buried in snow and have been shoveling mainlines and wet/dry lines and pulling tubing out of the snow so they dont back up and can actually make it to the tank and we can actually check for leaks. Slow start to our season. Had generator issues at our upper station finally figured out, weve about got everything uncovered and thawed, so next week well get the vacuum higher. Long road for a short season. Gotta love it!
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #156 on: March 30, 2019, 05:08:06 AM »
Sounds awesome Chris. We still have lots of the white stuff up here to. Just hardly a bear spot out in the open fields, so you can count on 3 times as much in the shade of the woods. :D It's just too cold at temps 32-40 to do much melting and this weekend it is half snow in with rain. And not much of either, but still nasty looking. ;)

I've yet to see any evaporators fire up here. My cousin and a next door neighour do syrup. Still bone dry. :D
Move'n on.

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
  • Life is what you make it!
    • Share Post
    • Dave and Joan's sugarhouse web site
« Reply #157 on: March 30, 2019, 07:09:56 AM »
I heard Proctor Maple Research Center had an evaporator built for high concentration, had not heard that Glen did at Eden. It makes lots of sense.
I only concentrate to 12% max but even on my little (by your scale) 3x8 I changed my pans. My first set of pans had a 3x6 flue pan and a 3x2 syrup (flat) pan, I had new pans made, I now have a foot shorter flue pan and my syrup pan is a foot longer, to give the syrup time to develope a great maple taste.
Celliott is right on, professional taste testers can not tell the difference in the finished maple syrup between syrup made using an RO and that made by boiling just straight sap.
If I were to get a higher concentration RO (reverse osmosis, to remove a lot of the water from the sap before boiling) I would need to get new pans again, less flue pan and more flat pan to give it time to develop the best flavor.
I just came thru my best sap flow period ever. It ran for 9 days harder than any other time in my last 17 seasons. Yesterday it finally went back to reality.  For nine days I was making 35-44 gal of syrup from just 800 taps, 314 on 27" vacuum and the rest on 19" vacuum (vacuum tank that could implode if I go over 20" vacuum). I have gotten that much sap in a day before, but never for 9 days in a row. Yesterday was slower and there will be very little today and tomorrow, but then it will start again on Monday and could go another 7-10 days here, in central NY State. The extended forecast shows no freezes after April 10 for 5 days, then 2 days below freezing overnight then 7 more days no freeze. That will cause the buds to open sometime in there, which ends the maple season. So far it has been a great run here.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed,  Peterson ATS upgraded to WPF mill, maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #158 on: March 30, 2019, 08:09:17 AM »
QUOTE: "Now, my opinion, high concentrate and fast evaporation rate don’t work. You need time cooking in the pans to develop the carmelization, the maple flavor. You try running 30% through a modern high efficiency evaporator, it won’t go well.

Our setup at the big woods. We concentrate to between 30-37% sugar. That’s around 2.5 gallons to 1 gallon syrup. Our evaporators are designed to be paired with the high brix reverse osmosis machines. They are 7ft wide and 20ft long. Setup about opposite of a conventional modern high efficiency evaporator, they are designed to boil slower. Our Cabot evaporator is a lapierre turbo 6’x16’, 12ft of flue pan with piggyback and steam away,and 4ft of flat, syrup pan. The Eden evaporators are 4ft of flue pan, no steam away, and 16ft of flat pan. 16 feet long by 7ft wide of slow evaporation surface area to develop good flavor. And I tell you what, it works very well. We have made amazing tasting syrup last year and this year. Efficiency and speed between the 6x16 conventional and the 7x20 high"! UNQUOTE:

I agree, Chris!

I should have mentioned there will be a difference in flavor when Highly concentrated and run through a conventional evaporator!

Which is why your evaporators were special made, makes sense now!
~Chuck~

Offline celliott

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #159 on: March 30, 2019, 07:42:35 PM »
I should add, we concentrate to 18-20% at Cabot and run that through the lapierre 6x16 and it makes award winning syrup as well. Amazing dark robust and amber rich. Not much golden delicate but thats ok, we make 99% Golden delicate at the Eden sugarhouse!
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Maple syrup....

Started by Mr Mom on General Board

12 Replies
Last post April 30, 2006, 03:33:30 PM
by SwampDonkey
xx
Maple syrup

Started by Norm on Wanted

18 Replies
Last post April 24, 2013, 09:04:23 AM
by Raider Bill