The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: How would you do it?  (Read 3032 times)

Offline rubberfish

• Share Post
Re: How would you do it?
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2019, 02:24:43 PM »
CabinCreations,

As it's been said on this forum many, many times. You can never build a shed too big.
True that. When I bought my current home here in the city I thought the detached shop
(28X30) was frickin' huge. Now 12 years later I couldn't even swing a dead cat in there.
CC. It sounds like you're doing all your homework. Good on ya. Build as big as your wallet allows.  8)
Everywhere I go, there I am getting into some sort of trouble. 
Bob

Online doc henderson

• Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2019, 02:27:01 PM »
Office Trailer Kiln in Drying and Processing.  Tyler do you recommend long and skinny for the sharpening room.  what do you consider to be the ideal dimension

Online doc henderson

• Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2019, 02:33:35 PM »
you may want 2 separate buildings, one with heat and a nice floor.  If you pour a concrete floor, I would also place pex for radiant heat, even if there are no immediate plans for heat.  If they were the same width buildings separated by say 20 to 30 feet, you might be able in your 3rd phase, connect up the two rooves to make a breezeway and eventually add walls to link the 2 into one.  Let us know how much mula your CFO will approve for us to spend for you.  The possibilities are nearly endless.  lol   You have a lot of years ahead, and if you can make much of your needed materials with your mill, that will help.  If you only pour concrete where you need it, that will save money, esp. if designed so it can be poured later when able, sys in the mill or equipment part.

Offline tylerltr450

• Trust me I run SAP and a sawmill
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2019, 02:34:19 PM »
This was my original setup

It took up 5x16 and I need more with have the arms attached. I actually had to over lap the blades to make setting and grinding work together.

Now I'm on rollers and I take up almost no room now. Gained back 5feet

Close up of the cart

This is what it looks like now
Sure I have to put the arms up everytime I want to sharpen but its worth the trade off.

As you can tell before and after is a major change.
Timber Harvester 36HTD25 fully loaded
2006 Dodge 2500 first Auto to NV5600 swap, EFI Live Tune by me
John Deere Tractor

Offline tylerltr450

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2019, 02:37:27 PM »
Office Trailer Kiln in Drying and Processing.  Tyler do you recommend long and skinny for the sharpening room.  what do you consider to be the ideal dimension.
I would say it depends, I sharpen for other people and my room is 24x18. I used up just for machines alone 5x18. I found it very hard to work having the units overlapping the arms which is why I went with a mobile design. I would say depending on the size bands you can get away with the OP size but for me folding the blades up and taking them apart you can really burn up about 12x18.
John Deere Tractor

Offline CabinCreations

• Share Post
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2019, 02:54:10 PM »
Rubberfish - thanks! I know no matter what is built, I will grow into it. 

I am just looking for a place that I am happy to get started in but still have a little room to grow before thinking about an addition like Doc is already alluding to :D. I'll get back to you about your spending limits after I talk to the wife (I mean CFO).

tyler - I like that mobile set-up. The "Sharpening Shed" isn't something that I plan to jump into right away, but I expect that eventually I will want to put my hand in on that too. In the mean time, I see that area as extra mill storage. When I do try sharpening, I may have to borrow the mobile idea. Thanks for the pictures!

Offline tylerltr450

• Share Post
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2019, 03:14:05 PM »
CC,

I would consider trying to stay mobile with them since you loose so much space. Plus when its nice out I roll the setter and sharpener outside to enjoy some of the sun and wind.
John Deere Tractor

Offline boonesyard

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2019, 03:20:39 PM »

cc. First of all, sorry for the crummy pic. I couldn't figure out how to get it from sketchup to my files, I'll have to get that done eventually. The drawing isn't complete yet, but close enough for comparison purposes.

I went through a similar dilema for my project this spring as well. I want a sawmill shed with enough room to do some lumber drying, how big?? I ended up salvaging rafters that are going to work, so my size was established. 7ea 36' rafters, designed to be on 8' centers. I want a 2' overhang all around so I end up with 32'x48'. I have a 16' door in a center side wall and a 20' door in an end wall. I thought a lot about how to place the saw, work flow, waste, accessibility to the saw for mobile jobs, access for the forklift and how to pile lumber. One thing's for sure, once I get the saw in there, it gets small real fast. I know you want to get it all done with one building, but you never hear anyone say "I made this thing too big". Good luck on your project.   
LT50 wide

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Offline CabinCreations

• Share Post
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2019, 03:37:22 PM »
boonesyard - That is a good looking building and well done in sketch-up too smiley_thumbsup. It worries me that at 32'x48' it feels small with your mill in there. Maybe I will have to re-think this - I guess that is why I posted!

What do you plan to use as a header for the 20' door on the end wall? 

Offline boonesyard

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2019, 04:31:18 PM »
There's a rafter at the endwall, so a bearing header isn't required. I have a 20' 3x12 in that opening and on my sidewall (bearing) at the 16' opening I have a clear 8x12 white oak header.
LT50 wide

Offline CabinCreations

• Share Post
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2019, 04:36:59 PM »
Sorry, I was looking at the sidewall 16' opening. That all makes sense though. Will you mill the 8x12 white oak yourself?

Offline Tin Horse

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2019, 04:42:26 PM »
Tin Horse - You have to get your 'ag' building inspected in Ontario? Our code says what Doc just mentioned. They could make me remove the building if it was completed before an inspector (if required) did their job.
Same here also. I've had it inspected to its close in point. But they they keep the file open til final. Could be years.

Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

Offline CabinCreations

• Share Post
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2019, 04:47:55 PM »
That looks great, Tin Horse! Thanks for sharing!

Offline boonesyard

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2019, 04:50:12 PM »
Sorry, I was looking at the sidewall 16' opening. That all makes sense though. Will you mill the 8x12 white oak yourself?
Yes, I'll be milling all of the banding, beams and posts. Banding and beams will be white oak and the posts will be 18'x6"x6" cedar with 6' if them buried. I live on the river hear and the ground does some crazy stuff with freeze/thaw cycles. With 6' in the ground, it should minimize frost heaving. 
LT50 wide

Offline CabinCreations

• Share Post
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2019, 04:55:05 PM »
6' is a long way to go! Will your building require inspections? I was originally concerned with what members can be rough sawn and not graded, but if I don't have to get a building permit and inspections are not required, then I shouldn't have to worry. 

Offline boonesyard

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2019, 05:10:12 PM »
6' is a long way, but I have a bit of experience with these pole sheds and we get some deep frost hear. We just had to dig a hole for a project and the frost was just over 5' deep where they've been driving.

This is considered an ag building, and I don't need an inspection in our county here for this type of shed. I will need to get the electrical inspected but that's not a big deal.
LT50 wide

Online PAmizerman

• Just Another Day In Paradise!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2019, 05:36:56 PM »
My designated sharpening shed is 12'x16'
It is comfortable. I run 158" bands and my sharpener and setter overlap. I can sharpen and set at the same time. If I had longer bands I would not be able to. 

I am thinking about making a desetting and cleaning station but there is not enough room for it. I would not want the shed any smaller.

Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Traverse 6035 telehandler
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Offline DPatton

• Share Post
    • D & S Sawmill Services
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2019, 07:08:35 PM »

DPatton - I agree. There is no such thing as a shed that is too big, so I guess my wallet is just to small  :'(

Lol.....yep, same reason why I didn't build the shed I wanted this year! Good luck on you building no matter what size it is. 
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Offline tacks Y

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2019, 07:16:52 PM »
Cabin, What part of the state are you in? I put a roof over my mill I think 30' clear span. 40' over all length. Hope to start a kiln shed soon.

Offline CabinCreations

• Share Post
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2019, 08:54:39 PM »
PA - I appreciate you chiming in about your sharpening shed. I watched as your build progressed and was going to ask you dimensions. Thanks! 

Tacks - 30' clear is likely what I will be dealing with. Somewhere in that ballpark at least. I am located just NW of the Pittsburgh airport. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter