The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Need firewood advice  (Read 4469 times)

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
Re: Need firewood advice
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2019, 02:25:24 PM »
I'm kind of amused with the talk of outside burners  .I just have an insert that eats about a face cord a week .It really doesn't belch much smoke and leaves no ash but powder .However during the day it needs tended to do that .A piece or two every 1-2 hours .Loaded up heavy at night .
My neighbor has an outside burner,forced draft and burns wood by the dump truck load and loaded it with a skid loader twice a day .Talk about smoke ,my goodness looks like a fog bank .His house is about 2800 sq feet ,mine is a tad less than 2100 .
At one time I thought those things would be neat but I'm not so certain about that now .I'm curious to find out how much wood he will have gone through this season .Mine will between 4 and 5 cords I'd imagine .

Offline lxskllr

• Senior Member x2
  • dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2019, 03:19:59 PM »
I'm kind of amused with the talk of outside burners  .I just have an insert that eats about a face cord a week .It really doesn't belch much smoke and leaves no ash but powder .However during the day it needs tended to do that .A piece or two every 1-2 hours .Loaded up heavy at night .
My neighbor has an outside burner,forced draft and burns wood by the dump truck load and loaded it with a skid loader twice a day .Talk about smoke ,my goodness looks like a fog bank .His house is about 2800 sq feet ,mine is a tad less than 2100 .
At one time I thought those things would be neat but I'm not so certain about that now .I'm curious to find out how much wood he will have gone through this season .Mine will between 4 and 5 cords I'd imagine .
Just guessing, but perhaps neighbor isn't as particular regarding seasoning since he doesn't have to be. You(and me) get a face full of smoke, and hazardous conditions regarding chimney health if we burn wet wood. An OWB can take anything, and while it may not be optimal, it'll work after a fashion. When you're loading it by the skid loader full, you don't have to be as particular.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2019, 03:42:45 PM »
Al, I've got an outdoor unit  it doesn't smoke much and I burn stuff most folks would turn their noses up at (dead standing softwoods). Heating a 2700 sf house, I'm guessing around 5 cords a winter.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2019, 05:42:11 PM »
I think my neighbor is getting cull logs from a local hard wood mill as he has quite a pile of shorties ,6-8 footers . Assuming that they would likely be green cut . He dumps the whole round  in in 2-3 foot lengths thus the skid loader .
He's buddies with the mill owner . Most likely if and when their metal scanner finds metal they cut the log down to be rid of it although they sell firewood by the big dump truck full .If he does pay for it ,knowing him he doesn't pay too much .

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2019, 08:06:19 PM »
If he's using a skid steer to load with,must be a big OWB. Mine will smoke,maybe steam? until it gets the moisture out of the wood. But I am not going through that much wood. Right now I am cutting norway pine and burning it. Not the best way,but I am low on wood. Cut it down in the morning,burn it that night. ::)
I would hate to go back to burning wood inside my house. I have plenty of good hardwood. But I plenty of dead wood too. As I said,fir and dead cedar I burn alot of. The OWB I have smothers the fire out,so it's a controlled burn.
Now I can cut a tree for the sawmill and use the limbs for firewood.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2019, 07:57:55 AM »
He stuffs some pretty good size rounds in that thing .I'll have to investigate in a few days .At the moment I'm being held hostage by a lady about 80 miles away from my house but I'll escape in few days and check out things . ;D
That said as far as outside burners I suppose you could burn anything you could stuff in them .A BTU is a BTU doesn't make a difference if it's shag bark hickory or swamp willow  .It just takes more of the later by volume to get the heat
of the former .

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2019, 10:16:37 AM »
Ray, dead red pine works ok. Green red pine is about the worst thing I have burned. It has such a high moisture content that there's barely enough btus in the wood to push it out. It looks like a steam engine on a -15 morning😊
Too many irons in the fire

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2019, 01:24:23 PM »
Don't have many red pine that is dead. Now white pine I use to have a lot of those. I am burning red pine right off the stump.  ::)  I did that with white pine one year,just as a experiment.  I think I burned 20 cord of green white pine.  :o  But the red pine seems to be doing better,green. When doing the white pine seem like all I did was cut and split and fill the OWB.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Firewood conveyor advice

Started by junkfxr on Firewood and Wood Heating

5 Replies
Last post November 30, 2013, 03:07:02 PM
by woodmills1
xx
MN H.S Student-wants advice about firewood company

Started by TDodgson on General Board

6 Replies
Last post December 14, 2004, 04:42:14 PM
by rebocardo