The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Building a DIY Homemade debarker for my Woodmizer LT35HD  (Read 3695 times)

Online terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
Re: Building a DIY Hommade debarker for my Woodmizer LT35HD
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2019, 07:22:55 PM »
Sorry, I forgot we are talking about different mills. Mine is lt40 super, donít know much about lt35.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT  2001 WM LT40SHDD (42HP Kubota, Accuset2, FAO's, Lubemizer, debarker), Peterson WPF 10-30 with chain slabber. Logrite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Offline Vautour

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Building a DIY Hommade debarker for my Woodmizer LT35HD
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2019, 03:04:10 PM »
...thanks for the info Mike ... now i know what to look for thumbs-up
the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

Offline MikeySP

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Building a DIY Homemade debarker for my Woodmizer LT35HD
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2019, 09:25:54 AM »
I am glad to report that I am very satisfied with the debarker so far and after using it on a few logs yesterday. I filmed some debarking on the very fist log, but I am not very adept at uploading videos, so i will try to get it done when the weather forces me inside.

Here is a pic of it the two blades making music together:

Finally a little sweat on the debarker after running a few laps.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2019, 09:42:46 AM »
That looks great. You probably mentioned this before but where did you get the blade? What diameter is it?

I am still thinking about angle grinder for my debarker.

Does that have a depth stop? or is it limited by sawing speed?

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2019, 09:45:23 AM »
Congrats on the debarker and the lumber.

Those grubs sound like pine borers.  They won't bother you later on, but PPB can part of your future.  They probably aren't there now.  FWIW, I had some pine logs that sat too long and got the borers in them.  I sawed siding for my sawmill shed out those logs and put the siding up.  After two years, no sign of any other issues.  I do have some nice peep holes to look through though.
HM126

Offline MikeySP

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2019, 10:04:23 AM »
Crusarius, I purchased Woodmizer blade ~$60 and the blade holder and nuts were another ~$20. I was going to use three 7-1/4" blades in apposing directions, but I had the arbor (blade holder) from Wm and it had a 1" diameter while the circular saw blades were 5/8" and I did not want to mess with balance on one side and on the other I was in a rush. The blade has negative angle teethe. I did not use the depth washer that WM sells because my buddy did not have it on his 2012 and it works fine. I was tripping my breaker within two feet of debarking every time. After speaking with him, I was going too deep into the wood by far. I found some proper sized springs and all is well. I think I will extend the handles as the additional leverage will make it a better experience. If I was to redo it, I think I would have probably gone with a 25w 12v dc 60rpm geared motor, or something close. I am not at all dissapointed. It works really well so far. I will expose any problems as time passes. I will also share any information I have as this forum is here so we can help each other. I hope to sit down and ad up my cost, time, pros/cons, observations, etc... so men can be informed as they weigh their options. I would definately say this is a poor man's option or a guy who likes to make stuff option. The first, poor man, may need to even reconsider it as he might do better to make money sawing with shorter life span to blade and make money to buy a debarker. For the maker, he would get the satisfaction, experience, and this camp also sees other opportunities that may come from engineering/fabricating. Thank you for helping me see the difference between these two terms. 

Btulloh, thank you for the response on the bugs, Very good. I hate for my son to spend $1500 on making a very tight little office and it is ruined because I gave him bug ridden wood  :(. I think this response was for my other thread. I will copy/paste your response there.

-Mike

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2019, 10:30:57 AM »
Oops
HM126

Offline Southside

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2019, 10:44:17 AM »
Mike - the success looks great.  However, the lingering question is did you remember to lower the toe board after that cut or did you end up making long wedges in all of the excitement?   :D

On your idea of a gear motor I would do a lot more research on that before using one in such an application.  I had to replace a starter last year on my buncher and the only one available was a gear motor, which was fine but the starter shop guy cautioned me that gear motors are not intended to run for extended periods of time without premature wear.  5-10 seconds is fine under load he said, but 30 seconds of cranking and they will heat up fast, FWIW 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline MikeySP

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2019, 12:10:42 PM »
SSL, I did mean to exchange the handle in/out lever for a motor and certainly not the debarker motor. 

Good point about motors burning out. But that is a specification of duty cycle, not geared vs non-geared.

I made a coffee bean mixer a few years ago that would stir 25 lbs of coffee beans at about 20RPM and it did not skip a beat even in a very warm environment for lengthy time periods and the manufacturer recommended that particular motor to me. 

The woodmizer 1/30HP motor used to swing the debarker in/out is also a geared motor, at least on the LT35. But I surmise also on the larger machines, as they use double gearing down - geared motor and pulleys. The gear motor gives the breaking power. If they used only pulleys the swing arm would just go move away from the log as soon as the switch was released. However, when the switch is released, the geared motor will not be budged so acts as a hold and only spring movement occurs. 

I may not feel like this once I extend my handles a little, but they are really stiff. 

-Mike

Offline MikeySP

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2019, 10:05:51 AM »
I am sorry for the delay on posting the video. I can't get my laptop to recognize my micro SD card off my phone. Finally took some time to learn the youtube app this morning. I don't know how to edit yet, but uploading was easy enough. Here it is:

and 

-Mike

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2019, 11:07:14 AM »
Nice.  Thanks for the videos.

Curious to see how the debarker behaves on uneven logs or stubs.  Is it spring loaded so it tracks the contour?
HM126

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2019, 02:54:56 PM »
 8)  So the depth of cut is determined by the strength of the spring and how fast you are traveling?

Nice wide gap but looks like maybe it should be raised just a tad?  It almost looks like your band blade is riding on the edge of the bark.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline alan gage

• Share Post
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2019, 03:57:44 PM »
If you'd ever see a blade break you wouldn't have done what you did in the 2nd video. :)

Debarker looks like it's doing well though. Nice work!

Alan

Timberking B-16

Offline MikeySP

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2019, 12:32:15 AM »
btulloh, I will film an uneven log. I have found I need to adjust the handle when there is a significant change in the log. Too much pressure will dig in too much and trip breaker. This will be easier once I extend my handles (More leverage).  It is spring loaded indeed. There are two springs, one on each side of the bycicle sprocket.  At this point, I can see putting a geared motor at some point after I have my shop setup. But this may get nixed after I extend the handles and have mor eleverage. 

BTW, since I had to wait a couple weeks for woodmizer springs as they did not have any in stock (only made this one year) I ended up using some hardware store springs. The woodmizer springs arrived a few days ago, so I will put them on (twice the diameter of the ones I have, so this may make it good to go with my current length hadles. Just been so busy, I haven't gotten to it, but I will do it and let you know how it went. 

ljohnsaw, that is correct, you swing the debarker around and it makes contact, then you ad an additional click of pressure tot he log. Sped is not a factor in depth that I can see. It may be, but I cannot tell it as I use it. I think the depth is from pressure and the limit is accomplished by the negative angle of the blade. The newer models have a depth guage (largedisck - think giant washer that rides next to the blade and limits depth of cut. I did not get it. 

Alan, you are right. I had actually had my first blade break yesterday and it was a violent moment indeed. As my dear wife says... no good Pepe! :)

Goodnight gents. 

-Mike

Offline Ga Mtn Man

• Senior Member x2
  • Y'all can call me GMM
    • Share Post
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2019, 05:38:46 AM »
Man, that is awesome MikeySP!  My first mill didn't have a debarker and I had folks send me lots of pics of their debarker. After studying the pics I decided it was above my fabrication skills to try to make one.  Hats off to you. 

I think Wood-Mizer (or maybe it was somebody on the forum) recommends that the band travel near the lower edge of the debarker kerf, because that's where the debarker cut is the deepest.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 Logrite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Offline MikeySP

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2019, 06:39:50 AM »
Ga Mtn Man, thank you! It may have been a much better use of your time. I am glad I have it and there is no way I would have gotten one for a few months otherwise. 

I can't believe I did not think clear enough to see that. I have had some cuts, especially on dirty logs with no bark, where the blade was just north of the triangle shaped kerf and instead of asking myself, "what is the solution?", I thought, "bummer, I guess I need bark and maybe a little debris sand blasting is cleaning some of it." I will be making that adjustment today of blade to the southern edge!

Big thank you sir!  

-Mike

Offline MikeySP

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2019, 07:02:50 AM »
Almost forgot. But, I want to help anyone else keep their ship afloat and on azimuth if they embark to debark :)

The bicycle crank works and pretty well; however, I would go with the appropriate hardness shaft for those lateral forces and some good sized sealed bearings inside a thick walled steel tube that has some bearing recesses turned on a lathe. I have seen the debarker under certain conditions (not sure what they are yet) chatter up and down along the cut. I may do as Tom the Sawyer says soon and setup a camera to film all, and I will share it with you as I try to learn to cut better and perhaps have clarity to see what is the cause of this occasional chatter. So, I am only putting this here in case it is springiness in a bicycle crank. If this is the case, I will use it as is for at least several months, but once I have a shop on my property, I will make a few mods and this may be one of them. Would be fairly quick. 

I will take out some time today to mount the factory springs and see if that alleviates the great tension I feel on the handle and perhaps that will take away my perceived need to extend the handles or add a gear motor down the road. 

Have a great day! 

-Mike

Offline MikeySP

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2019, 09:19:29 AM »
BTW, Southside Logger, in answer to your inquiry: "the lingering question is did you remember to lower the toe board after that cut or did you end up making long wedges in all the excitement?"

I know nothing.... However, I was delayed in responding because I had taken a photo of this long and pointy board that someohow showed up after that... but apparently I did not push the photo button and it did not take. So all evidence is gone and you can't prove a thing  :D

Offline MikeySP

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2019, 01:00:41 PM »
Factory springs are much more user friendly. Allows gliding over edge without digging and much easier to pull handle. Negative side is it does not allow max arc. So, on a small log, I need to move the chain a few teethe on the sprocket. If a radical difference between logs occurs such as 28", 10", it would be a headache. If I motorize it, this problem disappears. For now... very satisfied, but I will plan on a gear motor in future. Factory springs were spendy. If, when I make any changes, I will update. 

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2019, 01:39:59 PM »
We (I) need to see the whole picture of where the springs are in relation to your ratchet thingy.  For quick adjustments for different sized logs, could you make up an over-center like link where the springs attach to the saw head?  Like what is used on chain binders.  So, for a small log, you latch the inside one and unlatch the outside one.  Opposite for a large log.  Or maybe a disk that you can rotate (like a sprocket ;)), and set to 2 or 3 stops for small, medium and large logs?  The disk would be attached to both springs to simultaneously tighten and loosen the pair of springs.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Lt35hd debarker hits bed rail

Started by Toeboard on Sawmills and Milling

9 Replies
Last post April 26, 2016, 04:53:38 PM
by Chuck White
xx
Homemade whole log debarker

Started by 4x4American on Sawmills and Milling

21 Replies
Last post February 26, 2016, 10:55:48 PM
by Alligator