The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Did something dumb today.  (Read 18537 times)

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
Re: Did something dumb today.
« Reply #400 on: October 01, 2019, 10:11:40 PM »
I hate when that happens.  Nice job saving it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #401 on: October 01, 2019, 10:31:10 PM »
I agree with FFOTS, I hate when that happens, but I LOVE when I can pull it out of the whole in a short evening without spending money. A dumb move tha resulted in a WIN, of sorts. Good on ya!
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) I mill for fun and my mental health. NYLT Certified.

I ain't the woodcutter, but I can cut wood 'til the woodcutter gets here.

Offline Southside

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #402 on: October 01, 2019, 10:38:26 PM »
Just in case anyone needs to know they don't build the jacks on log splitters like they used to.  Mine failed miserably when I backed over the splitter the other day with the Lull... >:(  Never even felt it, happened to get off of the machine and bummer - there is my log splitter lying on it's side.  Luckily nothing else was broken so all I need to do is get a new jack.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline Nebraska

• I'm new! Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #403 on: October 01, 2019, 11:43:39 PM »
Well that was sorta lucky, last time I did something like that the tire truck came to visit my tractor. It got too close to the little flipper lever on a coupler on an old trailer sitting in the tall grass I  was mowing. Straight through the bottom of the sidewall it went...barely bent the lever  :-\, missed my turn just that much. 

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #404 on: October 06, 2019, 11:46:27 AM »
Well, I was in a hurry this morning to do a small job that took 2 hours to do.  We had somewhere to be and I needed to be done at 10.  As you know, rushing leads to doing something dumb.  I hit a log support.  It threw some pretty sparks.  My customer thought I had hit metal in his log.  He was happy when I told him what had happened.  What sucks is that our plans have changed and I have all kinds of time.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD

Offline RAYAR

• Full Member x2
  • Retired May 2/19 more time to play with my mill
    • Share Post
« Reply #405 on: October 06, 2019, 11:38:00 PM »
Now my turn. Was out to buddies woodlot / build site on Sunday afternoon. Was parked on the road / driveway by the first build site and trimming some stumps down a little in an area so I could back in off the road. There was one stump off to one side left so figured I'd get it after backing the truck in past it. Caught it with the right front wheel as I swung around and it momentarily stopped the truck before jumping over it, so continued back a few more feet and heard something under the truck, probably some brush. The tail gate was down and I had set my little Craftsman (Poulan) 40cc saw on it up against stuff in the box. Got out and walked around to the back  and several things from the box were out on the tail gate, so I put things back and then realized my saw was nowhere to be seen, then it struck me. I crouched down and looked under the truck and there was my saw way up under the cab just under the left side. DANG! So I walk up and pull it out and it's not looking too good, the chain brake is tweaked some and the forward handle is also a little tweaked out of shape and position. Now for the bar, it was not looking too good at all. It was really bent out of shape, to the left and also upwards a bit. Well after fiddling with it for a few moments, I put it aside and grabbed my old Husky 61 with a fresh sharpening and raker set and used it for the rest of the afternoon. Now that's a saw that performs well! It's the one with the aluminum chain brake handle, yup, one of the older ones.

On Monday afternoon, at home, I figured I'd go out and see what I could do with my poor little saw. Fixed up one of the anti-vibe mounting springs for the forward handle and it's not looking too bad now. OK, grab the poor looking bar, which also has the rack and pinion slack adjustment built in, and see what I can do about straightening it. Wasn't easy, but after an hour or so, I had a curved and bent piece of junk looking like a bar again, was mainly bent next to the mounting end, but also a curve in the middle of it the opposite way. Put it back on the saw and had to work on the chain brake mechanism to get it operational again. After that, I sharpened the chain, wasn't too dull, and then filed the rakers as they're needing to be done. Fired up the saw and ran it for a minute or two and you'd never know it had been a wreck, no replaced parts and it ran good. Should've gotten a few pics, but I didn't.

Oh, that stump I ran over got trimmed down with the Husky. Wasn't a big stump either.

Used my saw today that I backed over last week. You'd never know it had been, worked great and for a 40cc consumer saw, it rocked! Of course knowing a thing or two about filing chains and having the proper equipment to do so helps. I used to make a living working in the woods many years ago.
mobile manual mill (local build) (mods & additions on-going)
Shop built auto band sharpener
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans

Offline Resonator

• Board Footage and Cord Woodage
    • Share Post
« Reply #406 on: October 27, 2019, 10:02:04 PM »
My best repeat customer asked me to help move out of his old house, and into his new house. While cleaning out his old garage, he told me he had bundles of extra shingles he saved from when he redid the roof, that if I wanted them, I could have free. Sure I'll take them, why not! So I flipped down the tailgate on my pickup and opened the back window on my topper, and started to back up into the garage to load them. SMASH! Folded my topper back window almost in half, shattering the glass, pushing against the top of the garage door opening. Lesson learned, always check your clearance, Clarence. Funniest part of the story, it didn't even leave a scratch on the old garage, which is slated for demolition. :D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #407 on: October 27, 2019, 10:37:00 PM »
OUCH! That is an expensive mistake.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #408 on: October 27, 2019, 11:00:51 PM »
Man, I can't tell you how close I came to that a number of times. I caught myself every time and got lucky. Sorry you got crammed.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) I mill for fun and my mental health. NYLT Certified.

I ain't the woodcutter, but I can cut wood 'til the woodcutter gets here.

Offline Resonator

• Board Footage and Cord Woodage
    • Share Post
« Reply #409 on: October 28, 2019, 07:26:03 AM »
Not terribly bad, I see entire used toppers for $100 (or free) on CL all the time. I told my customer (a car collector) to find me the soft back window out of an old convertible, then it won't happen again. :D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #410 on: October 28, 2019, 11:31:25 PM »
Whoops!  Yeah, things happen.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD

Offline East ky logging

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #411 on: October 29, 2019, 06:27:39 AM »
I done something kind of dumb yesterday,my dog thought it was real dumb. I was sanding with a belt sander and had the trigger lock down sanding away and the electric went out. I rolled my chair up by the table and he jumped in my lap and we was both taking a nap. Well the electric came on and before we could get our eyes open we had a running belt sander in the chair with us. Heís still not talking to me  :D.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #412 on: October 29, 2019, 09:03:59 AM »
   Maybe he will when the hair on his butt grows back. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Nebraska

• I'm new! Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #413 on: October 29, 2019, 09:41:07 PM »
I bet the look on your and the dogs face was priceless. :D

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #414 on: October 30, 2019, 06:20:31 PM »
Sorry had to laugh at that one just from the vision of it happening.  Glad no animals were injured in the making of this opps.  It can be a bad thing if folks had stoves or ovens on when similar occurs and they don't turn them off.

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #415 on: October 30, 2019, 07:46:43 PM »
I guess itís time for a magnetic switch for your sander.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #416 on: October 30, 2019, 08:00:27 PM »
 :D :D I'm sorry, that is just too funny. Bet you release the lock every time you put it down now.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline SawyerTed

• Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
« Reply #417 on: November 01, 2019, 07:21:12 PM »
Thankfully it wasn't a big fire but it was exciting for about a minute!

I was fabricating some parts for a project this afternoon and was using the bench grinder to clean up some rough edges on some parts.  I didn't notice the wad of steel wool on the bench behind the grinder where the sparks go out the chute until the bright glow caught my eye.  Needless to say the steel wool caught fire on the bench.  Fortunately my welding gloves were on the temporary work bench behind me.  I quickly slipped them on, picked up the steel wool, dropped it on the concrete floor and stomped it out.  The bench nor any other stuff caught fire.  Feeling thankful it wasn't worse and feeling a bit humble tonight.

I have no idea where the steel wool came from, I keep it in an entirely different building.  But The Doc and my adult children use the shop on occaision.  That's not an excuse but a possible reason the steel wool got there. 
Woodmizer LT35HD25, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #418 on: November 01, 2019, 08:39:15 PM »
I can't tell you how many times I set my shop on fire. Good news is it usually does not spread.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
i pulled a dumb-dumb...

Started by Dan_Shade on Health and Safety

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2005, 06:10:46 AM
by sawguy21
xx
how dumb can I get???

Started by dnalley on Chainsaws

13 Replies
Last post May 16, 2015, 06:09:35 PM
by JohnG28