The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: MS170? Really?  (Read 1972 times)

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
Re: MS170? Really?
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2019, 08:25:43 PM »
That's a pretty impressive weight.  Looks like a nice saw.  Good price for top-handle.

I definitely don't want a top-handle saw though, and I've decided I'd like to test out a $200 saw.  Something about the low price kinda makes me want to buy something I don't really need.  Plus I'll also get to find out how all that plastic holds up.
HM126

Offline Inaotherlife

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2019, 08:27:14 PM »
That's all good info.  Thanks for the responses.  Sounds like it might be a good little pickup saw, and for the price I don't feel bad about taking a chance.  After all I don't need it to do big work.  Just want something handy.

I've been wanting a small, light saw, and I think for 180-200 bucks I'll take a chance.  I stopped in and looked at one today.  They sure don't compare to pro saws - that's for sure.  Now there's a new version - the ms171 - just to add to the confusion.  Supposed to have a few upgraded features, meaning that Stihl improved their bottom line and reduce the manufacturing cost somewhere.  It may be better to stick to the older model.

For the record, I have a 362c-m, a 25 year old 026 that still runs great, and a dead 066 which I don't feel the need to replace.  (I have easy access to a couple 80cc huskies if I need - and that is very seldom these days.)  I like the 026 as small saw that will do some decent work, but I really find the 362 to be almost as handy as the 026.  So that's why I'm looking for a really small saw, but not a top-handle.  

The ms170 comes with rmm3 chain, which I am not familiar with.  It looks pretty dainty, but I guess that goes with the little saw.  I haven't looked around to see what other chain will run on it.  Hopefully there's a yellow chain that fits it.  Somebody mentioned they put a different bar and chain on their ms170, but didn't mention the particulars.  Curious about that.

Thanks again for the replies.  - BT
Yeah. Definitely get a small saw.
You won't be sorry.

Offline wild262

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2019, 09:22:05 PM »
That's all good info.  Thanks for the responses.  Sounds like it might be a good little pickup saw, and for the price I don't feel bad about taking a chance.  After all I don't need it to do big work.  Just want something handy.

I've been wanting a small, light saw, and I think for 180-200 bucks I'll take a chance.  I stopped in and looked at one today.  They sure don't compare to pro saws - that's for sure.  Now there's a new version - the ms171 - just to add to the confusion.  Supposed to have a few upgraded features, meaning that Stihl improved their bottom line and reduce the manufacturing cost somewhere.  It may be better to stick to the older model.

For the record, I have a 362c-m, a 25 year old 026 that still runs great, and a dead 066 which I don't feel the need to replace.  (I have easy access to a couple 80cc huskies if I need - and that is very seldom these days.)  I like the 026 as small saw that will do some decent work, but I really find the 362 to be almost as handy as the 026.  So that's why I'm looking for a really small saw, but not a top-handle.  

The ms170 comes with rmm3 chain, which I am not familiar with.  It looks pretty dainty, but I guess that goes with the little saw.  I haven't looked around to see what other chain will run on it.  Hopefully there's a yellow chain that fits it.  Somebody mentioned they put a different bar and chain on their ms170, but didn't mention the particulars.  Curious about that.

You won't be sorry.
I'll second that.  I also have a 361P.  Best little saw I have ever owned.  Had a 346 Echo in the past, and the 361 has a much better powerband.  The ms 200 rear handle would have been a canidate if it hadn't been for the carbs giving problems.  I like to run saws, not work on them.  I have pluenty of re-builders for that.   Glad I went with the 361.  My favorite limbing saw. 

Offline Inaotherlife

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2019, 09:37:50 PM »

You won't be sorry.
I'll second that.  I also have a 361P.  Best little saw I have ever owned.  Had a 346 Echo in the past, and the 361 has a much better powerband.  The ms 200 rear handle would have been a canidate if it hadn't been for the carbs giving problems.  I like to run saws, not work on them.  I have pluenty of re-builders for that.   Glad I went with the 361.  My favorite limbing saw.
Yeah, the little 361P rips pretty good.

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2019, 09:39:52 AM »
 The ms170's are actually a prety good little saw for the money, I know several other people that have ran several and like them. They make prety good limb saws since they're so light. If one keeps them clean and maintained they can last a good while and pay for themselves many times over. 
- WoodMizer LT25, Kohler, all manual, old "drag" style WoodMizer sharpener, cat claw single  setter
- Husqvarna 372XP X-Torque/24" bar, 455 Rancher X-Torque/20" bar, 550XP/20" bar, Stihl 024AV/18" Oregon speedcut
- Kioti DK45, '92 Dodge Cummins with Cannonball  bed, '07 Honda Rancher

Offline wild262

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2019, 11:57:20 AM »
Regular maint. is the key, and even more important with these ocassional use saws.  They won't take to a lot of abuse, and once they break or major repairs are needed, there pretty much a disposable saw, unless you can do the work yourself.  They are what they are. I get them in my shop now & then and people want them rebuilt.  Most of the time I say, "just buy another and keep this one for parts".  A lot of times there money ahead.   

Offline Drew62

• Its better to live in the trees than die on your k
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2019, 02:48:13 PM »
The 170 and doubtless other manufactures starter saws are not to be despised.Perfect for cleaning up the canopy of dropped trees.Good fun to experiment with carving.The ideal starter saw for training a youngster with.Also handy to chuck in your vehicle over winter travelling down rural roads during stormy weather on the off chance you hit branches blocking your way.
A slave to the machines.

Offline Allar

• Full Member x2
  • Firewood Warrior!
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2019, 03:23:51 PM »
To throw sand in the works... You might want to look at the echo 2511t. It's ~$400, but it takes tiny to a whole new level. If not for the front handle, it would fit in the cargo pocket of my pants. It's the most fun saw purchase I've made over the last year.

CS-2511T Top Handle Chainsaw | ECHO X Series

edit:
I somehow missed the post above mentioning this saw  :^/  Still worth a look  :^)
Seems to be one of those saws that you might never need but would buy it regardless :D
I could see myself using one to cut branches off apple trees.
Firewood & Chainsaw videos: Firewood Warrior - YouTube

Offline TKehl

• Senior Member x2
  • Certified Contrarian
    • Share Post
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2019, 03:48:39 PM »
Similar story here.  Got one that was part of a trade deal.  Figured I could just leave it strapped to the 4 wheeler if nothing else.  But with a more aggressive chain, the little 170 does good for limbing up to small trees as long as the chain is kept sharp or it will stall out.  I can cut a lot longer with it without being worn out, especially in the summer.

Since then I've bought 2 more, well a another 170 and an old 017.  (My others are 250s, 290s, and a 066.)

Only downside is a dealer service is the same as what I paid for the used saws.  About $100...  Same as the bigger ones, but it feels different spending $100 on a $4-500 saw.   :D  As such I've learned more about repairing them and with extra saws I can usually keep at least 2 running.   ;)
"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him."  David Brinkley

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2019, 06:17:44 PM »
I do the routine maintenance and some repairs myself.  I agree with you Tkehl: a $100 repair on a saw like that doesn't make much sense.  If it gets beyond routine, it'll get replaced.

The 170 will get to work often enough to keep the fuel from going stale.  The saws here don't ever sit long enough for the gas to go bad.  I keep hoping though.   :D
HM126

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2019, 09:48:55 PM »
I bought a MS170 a couple of years ago to use as my "sawmill" saw.  It is very easy starting and does an awesome job doing the normal small work when I am sawing.  I highly recommend it. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2019, 08:40:14 AM »
Well I'm gonna get one.  After checking out the specs on similar saws like the 171, 180, etc. I'm just going with the 170.  Low price, low weight.  See what happens.  I'd go get it today, but I've got a couple medical procedures coming up so I'll wait til I'm through with that.

There's quite a bit of cleanup to do around the yard and that'll be a good way to break it in.  Tree tops, big limbs - winter fallout.  Too wet all winter to get out and keep things in shape.  I hate to let things build up like that, but the weather this winter leaves no choice.

I'm not sure there's a lot of choices for chain on this saw.  It comes with PMM3 3/8 0.043.  I'll see how that works and go from there.

Yesterday an interesting saw showed up on CL, but I decided to steer clear.  It was a Poulan 33cc.  Can't find any specs on weight.  They don't seem to publish any specs.  The ad said "ran fine last year but now it won't start".  We all know what that means.  $40, looked brand new.  Tempting, but . . .  

Offline Inaotherlife

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2019, 11:21:25 AM »
Another inexpensive option in a lightweight small saw is the Ryobi 3814, which has been somewhat popular among the internet forum crowd.
It's a similar weight, but more power. And lower price. A Redmax copy, but made in China.  Specs say 10 pounds, but I think that may be with bar and chain as opposed to the normally published powerhead only weight.

Personally, it's intriguing, but I'd prefer a Stihl or Echo.

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2019, 11:37:01 AM »
The Picco chain works fine on the 170 annd is not difficult to sharpen. It doesn't have the power to pull any more than that. Leave the Poulan on the shelf or buy two so you have a spare, parts and service are almost non existent.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2019, 08:35:40 PM »
Roger that on the poulans.  I think the Stihl HO saw is as far down-market as I want to go.  

Makes sense that it won't pull much chain.  I'd like to find a yellow chain for it though.  I've got something in mind for this little saw that will require some boring cuts.
HM126

Online lxskllr

• dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2019, 09:24:50 PM »
People all over say green chain can't bore, but it seems to work fine for me for the most part. It's a little worse with small nose consumer bars, but I was boring just fine last week with a Rollomatic E and RS3 chain. Maybe if I was doing it all day long, and had time to reflect on cutting speed I'd notice the deficiencies, but for infrequent use, by the not most experienced user, I'd say it's fine.

I'm curious how my new to me RM2 chain will bore. I'm gonna test it this week on the maple I was cutting last week. I'm thinking it may have a problem with it, and if so, I'm thinking that's where the notion green chain can't bore came from, but we'll see...

Offline Inaotherlife

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2019, 10:31:52 PM »
I had to bore-cut an 8" redbud that was in the corner of a chain link fence earlier this week with the 361P and it's factory green Oregon 91PXL chain. And it wasn't the first time.

No problem at all.

Granted, the saw is a little more powerful than a 170, and has a pro-lite bar which is a little taller profile with a larger radius nose than the e-mini. But I don't think those are major disadvantages on the 170 with smaller work like this, other than the extra power might have let me cut more slowly to keep it out of the fence.

Online lxskllr

• dummy with saw
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2019, 09:33:23 AM »

I'm curious how my new to me RM2 chain will bore. I'm gonna test it this week on the maple I was cutting last week. I'm thinking it may have a problem with it, and if so, I'm thinking that's where the notion green chain can't bore came from, but we'll see...
Just tried my RM2 chain on some pine, and it worked ok. I only made a few bore cuts, and it seemed like it might have been a hair slower than the RS3. Possibly a combination of the triple humped drivelinks, and being semi chisel instead of full chisel. I'm pretty cool with the performance, and now, very happy with my 100' purchase, though the guy's selling it a bit cheaper now... Of course...  :^D

Offline Drew62

• Its better to live in the trees than die on your k
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2019, 03:12:20 PM »
I bought the 170 some years ago now-it was just so cheap,it seemed silly not to :), but as supplied it was cracking for outdoor woodwork,with such a narrow kerf it was perfect for cutting 6"x1" planks when fencing/when building decking areas,again with the picco chain it cuts really clean,also for taking a third of a big 25 foot conifer down,its bang on the money.All the consumables are as cheap as chips-bar/sprockets/filters/oil pumps etc.In that sense,its not a throwaway saw at all.Everyone should have a little saw like this in their locker,if you're unlucky enough to have a catastrophic failure,it wont bankrupt you thats for sure!
A slave to the machines.

Offline lil171

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2019, 10:16:42 PM »
I'm not sure there's a lot of choices for chain on this saw.  It comes with PMM3 3/8 0.043.  I'll see how that works and go from there.
That is what is advertised, but my dealer installed a 16" .050 bar on mine for me at no charge instaead of the .043. I knew nothing about chainsaws this fall when I purchased it, other than how to start them and cut wood. The 16" bar and .050 chain was a recommendation by both my dad and dealer. Main reason is that the chain is stronger, and the .050 is easier to find. I have not done much cutting with it yet, as well as a newbee to it, but it does run and cut very well I must say set up as above.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
MS170 Oil Leak

Started by woodfirst on Chainsaws

3 Replies
Last post March 31, 2008, 07:52:55 AM
by MartyParsons
xx
MS170 will not idle

Started by Newbie on Chainsaws

3 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 11:47:08 AM
by sablatnic