The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Pressure Cooker Cookin  (Read 1909 times)

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
Re: Pressure Cooker Cookin
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2019, 10:34:08 AM »
Now back to the pressure cooker .Beef tongue,some love it and some aren't too  interested .Put a rack in the bottom of the pressure cooker and cut up some onions add little water then full steam ahead .Makes the best onion soup and if you like the tongue that's good too .

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2019, 02:34:09 PM »
but I guess it's boiled corn meal
No, boiled cornmeal would be mush.  Grits are much courser.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline rubberfish

• Share Post
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2019, 02:39:54 PM »
Grits would be worth a try for sure. Mrs. fish says no way.
Works for her. I can't find them around here anyways.

there's always amazon isn't there.  :)
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

Offline rubberfish

• Share Post
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2019, 02:45:10 PM »
Speaking of pressure cookers and corn.  :)  :)  :)
We use our instant-pot a lot. 
And one thing it seems to do very well is corned beef.
We don't eat that often enough.  :(
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2019, 03:01:58 PM »
but I guess it's boiled corn meal
No, boiled cornmeal would be mush.  Grits are much courser.
Mush isn't bad if you let it set up in like a loaf pan. Slice and fry it and serve with syrup .

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2019, 03:10:48 PM »
   My old mentor would take his corn to town and have it ground for meal and grits. He'd even screen/sift the meal to get the fine grits off the meal. He'd separate the coarse from the fine grits because the coarse ones took a lot longer to cook but IMHO they were much better.

I had some meal made in Africa when I could not find any in the store. I bought a measure (Some sort of local can - a liter or so I guess) in the local open air market then took it to another vendor with a little gas powered mill and communicated to him what I wanted and he ground it. I think I just wanted some to meal to fry some fish and don't remember trying to make cornbread out of it. We never tried mush. I saw the Himba people in Namibia grinding corn with river rocks and cooking their grits in a real small round cast iron pot burning the corn cobs for heat. Some called it maize but mostly I think they called it mealies. It was one of their staple diet foods.

I haven't tried the tongue or brains yet. I haven't eaten a possum either - times just ain't been that hard yet. :D

Al,

You can fry your grits the same way as the mush you describe. I think you chill and slice it, dip it in egg and flour and fry it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2019, 10:33:24 AM »
It might not be bad fried .I can't say I ever liked what would be considered cooked cereal such as mush,farina etc .I used to like rolled oats but lost my appetite for that years ago. I'll just the  take biscuits  and gravy and leave the grits and what not for others .

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2019, 07:08:41 AM »
Got a 2-pound venison roast in the pressure cooker right now.

Added some spices and rubbed them in, then chunked up a large onion and through that in and put it on the burner!

I'll let it cool in the fridge then, this afternoon I'll slice it for supper and left-over samiches!  digin_2
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2019, 08:08:32 AM »
I grew up eating Colorado mule deer .There's a trick to anything .Those raunchy tough high altitude timber bucks are about like eating a 6 year old Holstein bull .They certainly are not Ohio grain fed whitetail .My mother used to toss a roast in the pressure cooker with tomatoes .Something in the tomatoes took most of the "wild" taste out of it and softened it up a tad bit .It wasn't bad at all as I recall .

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2019, 06:49:53 PM »
I've done that with tomatoes to AL, works really well!

Another thing to take the gaminess out of the venison is to add about a tablespoon of vinegar to the pan or pot!  The vinegar will evaporate off, got that one from a guy and his wife who ran the little Mom & Pops store in Deerfield, SD!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2019, 07:59:02 AM »
I suppose you could tame it down with some creative Cajun  style stuff .A lot of it is the deer's diet .The high timber muleys eat pine needles and sage brush .The northern Ohio white tail eat soybeans and alfalfa and acorns . The southern Ohio have a mix but don't eat sage brush because there is none. Although I've got a picture last year of a yearling eating new growth from one of my pine trees about 50 feet right outside my kitchen .

Then the hunt is during the rut and they are hyped up on testosterone  and adrenaline so you have to deal with that .If nothing else mix a little pork with it and it makes dandy summer sausage .

Offline AZ_builder

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2019, 09:37:19 AM »
Field care, cooling, and aging help a lot with a strong gamey taste. Also boneless meat and not eating meat near the bone helps. If itís still gamey then Iíll soak it in milk or salt water for a few hours. It will draw out some blood that causes the gamey taste.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2019, 01:46:49 PM »
   I'm with AZ builder on prep. If you took a grain fed yearling beef, shot him, hauled him around on on the hood of your car on in the back of your pick up and showed him off for a couple of days, hung him up and finally got around to gutting, skinning and butchering him a few days later like lots of people do with their deer, that beef would probably taste gamey too.

Of course most of mine are killed about a 5-10 minute 4 wheeler ride from my home so 30-40 minutes after I shoot one it is on the skinning rack. I don't field dress them because it is not that far away from my skinning rack and easier to skin them intact. If the weather permits, and I keep that in mind when I hunt, I let them hang overnight to chill which makes them easier to cut up and the next day I bone them out/butcher them and package them for the freezer. Except for the neck and shoulder roasts I de-bone everything else. If its below freezing when I skin one I hang them in my log barn where it is above freezing. if above about 40 degrees at night I either don't hunt or quarter and put them in my spare reefer downstairs - more often than not I just don't hunt if its warm. When we cook them we really don't do anything different than we would with the same cut of beef. We use a lot of Cream of Mushroom soup as base or gravy in roasts or for Swiss steak.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • I know that I do not know.
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2019, 05:02:09 PM »
Red beans and rice. Pork sausage, polish sausage, sweet peppers and sweet onions and shrimp.

First time for rice in this for me. Never rinced rice before, but I did for this to get rid of the starch.  Easy to rinse. Didn't know.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Offline luvmexfood

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2019, 09:02:48 PM »
Cajun Soup
One chicken breast shredded. Cooked three w/skin and bones to get stock. While chicken was cooking boiled 1/2 # of shrimp, shelled them and put shells back in water and reduced to make a stock.
Put one chicken breast, spices, polish sausage, okra, 2 pint cans tomatoes with peppers, pint can of red beans rinsed, two cups chicken broth and one cup shrimp broth and pressured for about 15 minutes. Threw in some minute rice and let set. Then added shrimp. YUM and freezes well.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Offline AZ_builder

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2019, 09:07:29 PM »
I could imagine a world where rice was never in existence. But that dish makes me want to have rice! Iím the only one in the family who just doesnít care for rice.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
pressure cooker

Started by firecord on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

4 Replies
Last post December 02, 2015, 06:05:40 PM
by petefrom bearswamp
xx
pressure cooker (sort of )

Started by tule peak timber on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

19 Replies
Last post June 26, 2016, 12:32:02 PM
by tule peak timber
xx
pressure cooker that came off the Mayflower

Started by thecfarm on Bluecreeper

3 Replies
Last post August 12, 2015, 09:12:22 PM
by thecfarm
xx
Combo Pressure cooker Crockpots

Started by luvmexfood on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

8 Replies
Last post January 31, 2018, 09:27:17 PM
by luvmexfood